PDA

View Full Version : Ramblings, observations and other assorted brain droppings

Diesel
08-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Since I've purposely have stayed out of almost all discussions since the friday night debacle due to the high probability that I might chew someone's head off or go on a world class banning spree, I'm just going to make some comments:

- Not surprised at the Montford release. I've quietly been very underwhelmed by JM since his return and IMO he has clearly lost a step when it comes to closing in tight. While the way his situation has been handled leaves a lot to be desired, it's time to focus on life after Joe.

- CC needs to seriously revamp his approach to his offence and more importantly how he calls his offence during the game. There is no excuse for the offence's production, or lack thereof, in the first half of each game this year. If you're going down, go down swingin and start lighting some teams up. Let's start playing like we are desperate and attack teams. You want to open up the deep ball? Let's play some smashmouth ground attack and force teams to start bringing guys up in the box, or how about that screen we saw in pre season??

- Now would be a good time to hear something, anything, from Hugh. He's been strangely silent during this spell. Some shows of public support for his team would do some good for a team that looks to be flondering to find direction and something positive to build on.

- Right now we are going thru a spell where everything seems to be bouncing the other way, but the positive is that I don't see guys giving up. The bounces and breaks will come soon enough and as long as the team stays together, when they do things will get rolling.

- We need AJ back on defence ASAP. Stewart may be getting positive reviews for his good play but sorry, Q you are not a difference maker out there at this stage in your career. That's what we need badly.

- I saw some good things by the esks on friday but they got overshadowed by the large gaffe's and errors. Punt/kick coverage was pretty good. We played the run fairly decently. I thought Ro' had a nice game other than the bad pursuit angle on GeeWhiz's TD but I loved the physical element be brought to the secondary.

- RC, let's not see that zone blitz formation again until sometimes in 2013, ok?

- Ricky, you're looking like you're scared to pull the trigger. You have to get back in the groove and I think stepping outside your comfort zone ( short passes) and finding some success in attack offence might help you. Don't be afraid to die with your boots on, son.

- Anyone know what RDL does for our offence, anyone?

- I feel sorry for whoever is going against Comiskey this week. I have a feeling he's going to hurt someone.

- CC doesn't need to be fired, he needs to have an offensive co-ordinator and a GM who is in the office taking some of the load off his shoulders. I may be in the minority right now but I still have confidence in CC as a head coach. As an OC I have doubts.... Look at Don Matthews and see how he re-vamps his defensive approaches every few years to understand that when people have you figured out you need to re-invent yourself. The fortunate thing is we have the tools on the field to make it happen now.

- One win will lead to many.

Beerfish
08-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Excellent post, I particularly agree with the comment about Hugh Campbell or whoever is actually in charge. I thnk we actually have a bit of a void or confusion at the top between Campbell and LeLacheur, in any case they should be saying something. I still think the teams hands are tied somewhat by the old RDL, Rick Campbell hirings as far as making changes.

Since I've purposely have stayed out of almost all discussions since the friday night debacle due to the high probability that I might chew someone's head off or go on a world class banning spree, I'm just going to make some comments:

- Not surprised at the Montford release. I've quietly been very underwhelmed by JM since his return and IMO he has clearly lost a step when it comes to closing in tight. While the way his situation has been handled leaves a lot to be desired, it's time to focus on life after Joe.

- CC needs to seriously revamp his approach to his offence and more importantly how he calls his offence during the game. There is no excuse for the offence's production, or lack thereof, in the first half of each game this year. If you're going down, go down swingin and start lighting some teams up. Let's start playing like we are desperate and attack teams. You want to open up the deep ball? Let's play some smashmouth ground attack and force teams to start bringing guys up in the box, or how about that screen we saw in pre season??

- Now would be a good time to hear something, anything, from Hugh. He's been strangely silent during this spell. Some shows of public support for his team would do some good for a team that looks to be flondering to find direction and something positive to build on.

- Right now we are going thru a spell where everything seems to be bouncing the other way, but the positive is that I don't see guys giving up. The bounces and breaks will come soon enough and as long as the team stays together, when they do things will get rolling.

- We need AJ back on defence ASAP. Stewart may be getting positive reviews for his good play but sorry, Q you are not a difference maker out there at this stage in your career. That's what we need badly.

- I saw some good things by the esks on friday but they got overshadowed by the large gaffe's and errors. Punt/kick coverage was pretty good. We played the run fairly decently. I thought Ro' had a nice game other than the bad pursuit angle on GeeWhiz's TD but I loved the physical element be brought to the secondary.

- RC, let's not see that zone blitz formation again until sometimes in 2013, ok?

- Ricky, you're looking like you're scared to pull the trigger. You have to get back in the groove and I think stepping outside your comfort zone ( short passes) and finding some success in attack offence might help you. Don't be afraid to die with your boots on, son.

- Anyone know what RDL does for our offence, anyone?

- I feel sorry for whoever is going against Comiskey this week. I have a feeling he's going to hurt someone.

- CC doesn't need to be fired, he needs to have an offensive co-ordinator and a GM who is in the office taking some of the load off his shoulders. I may be in the minority right now but I still have confidence in CC as a head coach. As an OC I have doubts.... Look at Don Matthews and see how he re-vamps his defensive approaches every few years to understand that when people have you figured out you need to re-invent yourself. The fortunate thing is we have the tools on the field to make it happen now.

- One win will lead to many.

Deathsdoorstep
08-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I agree with some of what you say, Diesel, but I disagree in a few key areas.

I wasn't surprised that Montford wasn't stellar. The man missed all of camp and only got a few games in. But once he was in others started playing better, like Braidwood.

Danny Maciocia seems to have a stubborn streak that leads me to believe that he just won't learn from mistakes.

Ricky Ray has missed some wide open guys downfield this year. I think he's almost conditioned to go short now with the whole "take what they give you" philosophy of Maciocia.

Also, before last game, Maciocia said that they'd been working on half a dozen new plays for the red zone. Anyone remember seeing them?

All this adds to many off-the-field problems, IMO. The Eskimos public relations and marketing is laughable, and the gameday production is really, really weak.

Right now there aren't a lot of bright spots with the Edmonton Eskimos Football Club.

Diesel
08-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Braidwood began playing much better the moment he got moved to the edge.

Deathsdoorstep
08-08-2006, 10:08 AM
Right now the only reasons I can see for not firing Maciocia are the lack of a clear cut bona-fide replacement, and the fact that such massive change is needed at all levels of EEFC, that it's best an offseason cleanout job. But fans should not stand pat. See my sig.

Diesel
08-08-2006, 10:17 AM
I guess I see things a bit differently. The biggest issue outside of the offence is the fact that each time we make a mistake we get a bounce that goes the other way that compounds it further. I look at the Wiltshire dropped INT as a prime example. We held them, should have had the ball in their end with a score from the previous drive and looking to get more but he drops it, then we get moved back on a punt and tack on a penalty which resulted in a 50 yrs swing and loss of momentum. It's small things like that we need to correct. Each guy has to work on making plays and playing within their position and ability. Right now it seems like guys are trying to do too much on defence.

The offence just plain needs to start punching instead of trying to counter-punch

Deathsdoorstep
08-08-2006, 10:22 AM
The offence just plain needs to start punching instead of trying to counter-punch

The offense isn't designed with that in mind. And I don't see change coming from DM. He's too damn stubborn.

Your point about the bounces not going our way is well put, but I really don't think that it is a huge factor in the Eskimos' woes.

The coaches have made some really stupid defensive calls, the players are undisciplined beyond belief (another sign of amateurish coaching), and the offensive plays are dull. The philosophy is conservative. Again, the word I keep coming back to is amateurish.

Diesel
08-08-2006, 10:24 AM
Your point about the bounces not going our way is well put, but I really don't think that it is a huge factor in the Eskimos' woes.

Sorry, I think it's massive. How many times has a good play been wiped out by a penalty, or what should be a good defensive stop blown by a missed assignment? It's not like we're not competeing because we are.

Deathsdoorstep
08-08-2006, 10:26 AM
Sorry, I think it's massive. How many times has a good play been wiped out by a penalty, or what should be a good defensive stop blown by a missed assignment? It's not like we're not competeing because we are.

Taking a penalty or missing an assignment? Those are bad plays, not bad bounces. Unless you're talking about officials screwing us, which has happened. But it's happened to the opposition just as much.

Nanook99
08-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Why don't we cut RDL and hire Kent Austin????
Frankly I don't think DM should be doing both duties anyhow.
N99

Angelus
08-08-2006, 10:35 AM
I don't know Diez. We're average six points in the first half. Less than 16 per game. Stats wise, we have the league's worst Secondary and arguably the league's worst D-Line.

I'm not convinced that "bad bounces" play a huge role in that...

Diesel
08-08-2006, 10:40 AM
The issue stems from when we do make a play, something in turn negates that. That's what I mean by bad bounces or breaks. We haven't found a way to build upon the good things that we are doing yet, but inevitably things will come around.

eskimoses
08-08-2006, 10:46 AM
Well Diesel, while I agree with most of your post there are some areas where we would differ...
1) We saw NOTHING new in offensive plays despite Dim giving it lip service during the week. He is predictable and unimaginative in his schemes and as was pointed out, stubborn/reluctant to change unless 's "his" type of change. He CANNOT fire this team up to play... I don't know why... but he just can't! He has clearly lost the room.

2) A secondary component to that is a lack of fire as a whole on this team. I saw very few instances of emotions throughout the game other than a few select players. Some of these guys are now looking over their shoulder looking for something to go wrong instead of focusing on their assgnments.

3) Untimely penalties... AGAIN... are just freakin' killing us. Still waiting for Dim to address that with the players 'cause we are losing 80 yards+ and at least 10 points a game due to penalties.

4) Rc defensive formations(well, his abilities in general) JUST STINK. The Simon run was the same defensive set up that existed on the Segall play. Ro' took a shallow angle on pursuit and hotdog was off to the races. Wiltshire not only drops a clear pick, but later takes an absolutely futile tacking angle on Simon and what happens... he misses him entirely and that putz picks up his second TD.

4) Offensive line had maybe their worst game of the year.

5) Troy Davis Troy Davis... where are you Troy Davis?? The few times we ran you could tell he was truely pissed at seeing the ball so little. Falls right on Dims shoulders!!!

6) TNT is still lack lusture... dancing ang jigging back there... his best success has come from moving up field at full speed and hitting hole fast. He is WAY TOO tentative waiting for blocks/lanes to open up. if your indecisive back there stuuf closes up quickly and you're screwed.

6) Hugh has seemingly abandoned his responsibility to this team. Argos let Austin go for lack of performance but we still have dim, RC, and RDL???? I hear Greg Marshall just signed on as OC for Western in the collegiate league... good work Hugh!

We are deservidly the worst team in the league right now... and the people who should be stepping up and doing something about it... aren't!!!!

Numberz
08-08-2006, 10:48 AM
If we're dropping INTs and whatnot, that's a sign of not executing or not being prepared for a game, especially if we are consistently doing it. You know what they say...you have to be good to be lucky, and lucky to be good. The eskimos need to create their own luck by executing properly.

eskimoses
08-08-2006, 11:13 AM
Exactly numbz... only their execution can turn those breaks/opportunities around. Start making your breaks... then bloddy well capitalize on them!!!

Esk Reporter
08-08-2006, 11:36 AM

I am surprised that this has not really discussed this before, but I guess the problems on offense have overshadowed the defensive side of the ball. Q maybe performing well, but he is nowhere near the defensive leader that Gass is and that is one of the biggest problems that we have on defense. No one seems to be stepping up to take leadership on that side of the ball (with apologies to Mobes because of injury and not playing every down).

Is that what that defense is supposed to be!!! :confused: As I mentioned in a previous post, if you get caught to close to the LOS when the ball is snapped, you are going to be in trouble. I think the timing is the biggest problem with that defense as you have to stunt at least two seconds before the ball is snapped so that you have a chance to get back into coverage.

While I am basically with you on DM, his rope is getting shorter every week! I, too, believe that the presence of a capable OC would make a huge difference for him because it would allow him to concentrate more on his 'HC duties'. I have to wonder if management (Campbell/Lalecheur) are condsidering that??

Opus
08-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Well Diesel, while I agree with most of your post there are some areas where we would differ...
1) We saw NOTHING new in offensive plays despite Dim giving it lip service during the week. He is predictable and unimaginative in his schemes and as was pointed out, stubborn/reluctant to change unless 's "his" type of change. He CANNOT fire this team up to play... I don't know why... but he just can't! He has clearly lost the room.I disagree, I saw a couple of times a few new things that instantly piqued my interest. Unfortunately the execution was off.

Most notably a drag across the middle to Hervey, this is a slight alteration to the normal hook that we've seen over and over again where his pattern has him or Tucker sit down under the zone D. This pass was meant to hit him in full stride (something I've been waxing on about for some time now), unfortunately the first time we tried it it was thrown well behind Swerve and nearly picked as he came across....the second time it was used the timing was again off and Hervey had to stop to make the reception and was tackled immediately for an 8 yard gain.

2) A secondary component to that is a lack of fire as a whole on this team. I saw very few instances of emotions throughout the game other than a few select players. Some of these guys are now looking over their shoulder looking for something to go wrong instead of focusing on their assgnments.
That is basically a by-product of what Diez is saying in regards to the bad breaks.....when something goes right, they're waiting for the other shoe to drop. We need a few plays where things go right consistantly without a flag or miscue sending us back the other way. The little bounces have not gone our way early, Wiltshire dropping the sure INT was a prime example.....

3) Untimely penalties... AGAIN... are just freakin' killing us. Still waiting for Dim to address that with the players 'cause we are losing 80 yards+ and at least 10 points a game due to penalties.
Check the stats, they have gone down significantly....the only problem left now is that they seem to come at the worst possible times, killing drives or big plays.

4) Rc defensive formations(well, his abilities in general) JUST STINK. The Simon run was the same defensive set up that existed on the Segall play. Ro' took a shallow angle on pursuit and hotdog was off to the races. Wiltshire not only drops a clear pick, but later takes an absolutely futile tacking angle on Simon and what happens... he misses him entirely and that putz picks up his second TD.
Look at what you're saying, you're blaming formations for Kelly dropping a ball or Roe missing an angle? The only jam i'll throw at RC right now is that we're not disguising things enough for our defensive schemes, we're last in the league in interceptions and turnovers. To me that says that offenses have a good idea what we're going to do and we aren't confusing them with what we do. This isn't helped by the fact our pass rush has been lack-lustre this year for whatever reason and QB's aren't forcing throws into our coverage. I'll also give him stick for not nowing when to drop into a dime-umbrella package.

4) Offensive line had maybe their worst game of the year.that they did, it was their worst pass pro effort of the year. That said, my real worry is the run blocking, our blocking schemes for or run game is abysmal. If this is a pure defect of the plays drawn up or purely personnel problems, I don't know....but things have to get straightened out. To what that will entail either getting Coach Mac and Brennan to sit down and work on some new stuff with 'Cioch to fix this, again I don't have the answer. I think the guys we have are more than capable, so if it's a scheme thing then we really need to assess it.

5) Troy Davis Troy Davis... where are you Troy Davis?? The few times we ran you could tell he was truely pissed at seeing the ball so little. Falls right on Dims shoulders!!!
We ran the ball more last game than games previous.....we were down and still ran the ball. That in itself is encouraging to me. The usual habit is completely abandoning it when we were behind, yet we still handed off down by 17 early.

6) TNT is still lack lusture... dancing ang jigging back there... his best success has come from moving up field at full speed and hitting hole fast. He is WAY TOO tentative waiting for blocks/lanes to open up. if your indecisive back there stuuf closes up quickly and you're screwed.
I partially blame the league for this by dicking with the rules this last year. They're calling good blocks from the side as illegal now and it shows not just in our return game but across the league as well.

6) Hugh has seemingly abandoned his responsibility to this team. Argos let Austin go for lack of performance but we still have dim, RC, and RDL???? I hear Greg Marshall just signed on as OC for Western in the collegiate league... good work Hugh!

We are deservidly the worst team in the league right now... and the people who should be stepping up and doing something about it... aren't!!!!
I'm not going to blame Hugh for not running out and hiring Marshall over 'Cioach just yet.....I don't see that as a step that would turn this club around this year at all.

Opus
08-08-2006, 01:36 PM
I am surprised that this has not really discussed this before, but I guess the problems on offense have overshadowed the defensive side of the ball. Q maybe performing well, but he is nowhere near the defensive leader that Gass is and that is one of the biggest problems that we have on defense. No one seems to be stepping up to take leadership on that side of the ball (with apologies to Mobes because of injury and not playing every down).

I've been saying it for two weeks now.......all the positive talk about Stewart has made me watch him more closely than I otherwise might have.......frankly I keep finding more reason to say I'm underwealmed by what he's doing out there......don't forget that he is the substitute quarterback of our defense out there with AJ still out of action.

He has the physical abilitites, but no where near the instinct or experience yet.

eskimoses
08-08-2006, 01:47 PM
AAAHHHH.... Fish! My emotion does benefit for your logic(well... most of your logic anyway). My frustration with ro and Witshire were not being balmed on Rc.. they are attributed to/derivatives of the "funk " he has put his defensive squad into with his incompetance. Not blaming Hugh for not making changes... I really hope and pray that statement doesn't come back and bit you in the a^^ .... 'cause you're a decent guy!

Opus
08-08-2006, 02:04 PM
AAAHHHH.... Fish! My emotion does benefit for your logic(well... most of your logic anyway). My frustration with ro and Witshire were not being balmed on Rc.. they are attributed to/derivatives of the "funk " he has put his defensive squad into with his incompetance. Not blaming Hugh for not making changes... I really hope and pray that statement doesn't come back and bit you in the a^^ .... 'cause you're a decent guy!
Not to worry, I have a pretty good record of being right over being wrong, but if that's the case - that's the case.......I'm pissed that we're 2-5 as well, but chopping heads just for the sake of chopping heads won't extend the 34 year record IMO.....

As far as laying blame for the defensive struggles on RC, well first take into account that in 2004 our defence was really in tatters......not sure why, but it led to the complete purging of our D-Line.....remember Abdullah, Boose, Kinney, et al? It looked to turn the corner last year and the defense as a whole responded as well......

Right now IMO we're not getting the same production out of that line, and to me it seems to start in the middle. We just don't seem to have the same push as we did at times last year to force teams to open up the edges. Char has been next to invisible, and Brown's play has been somewhat sporadic. Neither have been stellar at the run stop either, we have only seen better gap cancelling from Issa (who I'm normally lukewarm to) but at least he is helping our run D even if he doesn't seem to possess a good pass rush.

If we can get some better play from our tackles, then perhaps we can get some more openings for our ends and blitzing 'backers......

eskimoses
08-08-2006, 02:27 PM
Yeah... can't argue about the d-line stuff. If braidwood continues to improve that may open lanes at tackle, but we have to have the pressure to exploit that. Losing guys like Jeanty,Boose, and Kinney really hurts. That said, I am still VERY skeptical as to our defensive configurations. We show some cstuff too early or at the wrong times, we don't try to mask/hid anything, and our execution has been pathetic(late on filling gaps/lanes, dropping into coverage, SLOPPY tackling etc.). A good Dc would be correcting these deficiencies and I just don't see that happening at all! The D corp seems woefully void of emotion and "ball support" just isn't there. These aspects are DIRECTLY related to coaching. Am I incorrect?
Your Thoughts??

Diesel
08-08-2006, 02:33 PM
Most notably a drag across the middle to Hervey, this is a slight alteration to the normal hook that we've seen over and over again where his pattern has him or Tucker sit down under the zone D. This pass was meant to hit him in full stride (something I've been waxing on about for some time now), unfortunately the first time we tried it it was thrown well behind Swerve and nearly picked as he came across....the second time it was used the timing was again off and Hervey had to stop to make the reception and was tackled immediately for an 8 yard gain.

That wrinkle in that play set has been there since day 1 at camp. The few times RR's used Swerve in that pattern, he's not delivered the ball where it needs to be in order for Ed to ignite the afterburners.

Beerfish
08-08-2006, 02:36 PM
We need to be getting our plays to the playmakers moving away from the middle of the field rather than into the middle, we have plays going to the outside to our pluggers (FB's and RB's) and our plays to Tucker and Hervey lead them into the teeth of the defense.

Finally a couple games ago we got the ball to Tucker in some space and he took it along ways.

eskimoses
08-08-2006, 02:47 PM
We need to be getting our plays to the playmakers moving away from the middle of the field rather than into the middle, we have plays going to the outside to our pluggers (FB's and RB's) and our plays to Tucker and Hervey lead them into the teeth of the defense.

Finally a couple games ago we got the ball to Tucker in some space and he took it along ways.

What we need is to get the o-line to provide better blocking by "firing off" the ball and smackin' somebody in the mouth!!! :thup:

Diesel
08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
That would be a great start. I see nothing wrong in forcing more defenders into the box to help stop the run by taking the attitude that we're gonna puch the defence in the mouth from snap one and keep doing it all day long.

Opus
08-08-2006, 03:05 PM
That would be a great start. I see nothing wrong in forcing more defenders into the box to help stop the run by taking the attitude that we're gonna puch the defence in the mouth from snap one and keep doing it all day long.
the Blake Marshall offence.........:sigh: memories......

Esks4ever
08-08-2006, 03:07 PM
the Blake Marshall offence......... memories......

them where the days

Opus
08-08-2006, 03:15 PM
them where the days
they were the days as well.....:lol:

tsk-tsk :p

Esks4ever
08-08-2006, 03:19 PM
they were the days as well.....:lol:

tsk-tsk :p

I'm too upset to spell properly... The Esks... :cry: :sigh:

Diesel
08-08-2006, 03:21 PM
the Blake Marshall offence.........:sigh: memories......

Amen Brother. Wonder how old his boy is? Would be a great thing to see a bigger, meaner chip of the cement truck in Esks silks........

Opus
08-08-2006, 04:51 PM
Amen Brother. Wonder how old his boy is? Would be a great thing to see a bigger, meaner chip of the cement truck in Esks silks........
wouldn't it? :thup:

on that same note........isn't Danny Bass' boy eligable next year? :D

Sectionq
08-08-2006, 05:04 PM
You would think that our so called OC would resign himself to the fact that the offence just isn't working.
Maybe we all need to knock on DM's door, give him a big hug and let him cry on our shoulders for a few minutes telling him "there, there danny, we know you are an offensive genius, we know that if the players executed properly your offense would score 100 pts a game". We could all hold out a tissue for Danny to dry his eyes then in a delicate, supportive voice say "but maybe just maybe, could we go back to CFL football fundamentals, you know stretching the field with our tall speed guys against other teams short guys, letting a brusing power back like Troy Davis run the ball 20 times a game, you know, the old way to play football, just for one game and lets see what happens". We offer to take him for icecream if he says yes.

Tojo
08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
"Quote:

That wrinkle in that play set has been there since day 1 at camp. The few times RR's used Swerve in that pattern, he's not delivered the ball where it needs to be in order for Ed to ignite the afterburners. "

That play isn't even a new wrinkle really....It was used quite a bit when Maciocia started as offensive co-ordinator here in 2002. I remember it working well in the western final against Winnipeg.

Sectionq
08-08-2006, 05:08 PM
That play isn't even a new wrinkle really....It was used quite a bit when Maciocia started as offensive co-ordinator here in 2002. I remember it working well in the western final against Winnipeg.

AAHHH memories. I wonder what happened to that playbook that worked from those years.

Tojo
08-08-2006, 05:15 PM
AAHHH memories. I wonder what happened to that playbook that worked from those years.

Having a running attack (aka John Avery in his prime) that scared the crap out of opposing defences was a big part of it. He had a string of games there where he was averaging about 150 yards a game. :sigh:

Sectionq
08-08-2006, 05:17 PM
Having a running attack (aka John Avery in his prime) that scared the crap out of opposing defences was a big part of it. He had a string of games there where he was averaging about 150 yards a game.

We have a good back, we just refuse to give him the ball.

Sgt. Nuke
08-08-2006, 08:09 PM
We have a good back, we just refuse to give him the ball.

DM's thinking on the matter:

"Hm....five yards is five yards. Give it to Troy? Nah...he might fumble. Besides, that's what Ed Hervey is for. Fourty yard horizontal pass to Hervey it is."

earl2
08-08-2006, 08:44 PM
I see nothing wrong in forcing more defenders into the box to help stop the run by taking the attitude that we're gonna puch the defence in the mouth from snap one and keep doing it all day long.

Completely agree. The way to open up the pass is to run the football. Run early and run often. Draw the linebackers and safety up to stop the run.

And O-linemen like to run block a hell of alot more than pass block. :D

Uncle Bobby
08-08-2006, 09:44 PM
I've quietly been very underwhelmed by JM since his return and IMO he has clearly lost a step when it comes to closing in tight.
Big Joe isn't the only one who has lost a step. I'm not going to name names but I think we all see it.

- We need AJ back on defence ASAP.
As long as AJ doesn't get shuffled out for half the plays. Younger legs is what we need. We mustn't however forget about veteran leadership.

:wham: :wham: :wham: :wham:

- Ricky, you're looking like you're scared to pull the trigger. You have to get back in the groove and I think stepping outside your comfort zone ( short passes) and finding some success in attack offence might help you. Don't be afraid to die with your boots on, son.Ricky has no time to get comfortable with the pass rush breathing down his neck. Put him behind another OL and he has success.

And Kabongo too? He's a monster but he whiffs on many a block. Reminds me of Andre the Giant fighting the Dread Pirate Roberts.

Beerfish
08-08-2006, 10:26 PM
The way most running backs rack up the yardage is when their team gets ahead by 7 or more. Unless you have an elite running game, which we do not Davis won't get as many carries as he should. Because hardly get any turnovers, the special teams have gone south and we rarely come up with a quick score it all hurts the run game.

One player that I am calling out for poor play once again is Tompkins. He is October version 2.0 right now. Maybe getting his block knocked off in the 1st Calgary game has affected him but he's going east/west more than north south.

Sgt. Nuke
08-09-2006, 01:11 AM
Meh. Nobody has a good return game this year. It's the rule changes.