PDA

View Full Version : I hate IE7

Nanookster
11-15-2006, 12:42 PM
It has been nothing but trouble since I upgraded to it.

Web pages don't always load, no refresh button (or it is hidden), no stop button (more of the same), lock-ups, hang-ups, it is all around crap.

Both of my PCs have slowed since I added IE7.

Good job Microsoft :thup: Not!

Esks4ever
11-15-2006, 12:45 PM
my PCs have sped up since I installed IE7, theres a refresh and stop button(which is beside your address line ( to the right) , the little green arrows and the red x )...I have had less probs with IE7 then IE6...

and i love the tabs....

Opus
11-15-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't like it much myself........don't need or want the tabs and it just added an extra bar to the top of my screen I didn't need /want or can get rid of......

Deathsdoorstep
11-15-2006, 12:57 PM
I upgraded to IE7 on the weekend. I like it. I've customized it to my likeing. the refresh button is next to the address bar. The stop button is next to that.

Get rid of the tabbed viewing first off. Go to tools > Internet options > tabs settings. If the tools menu isn't there, then right click on one of the bars.

Then, go to view > toolbars. Allow the menu toolbar. Get rid of the google bar, if you have that previously installed. IE7 already has a search bar. Also get rid of links.

PDO
11-15-2006, 12:58 PM
3 posts here and not a mention of Mozilla?!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Enjoy fella's. You can thank me later ;).

Delorean
11-15-2006, 01:01 PM
I'm lovin' IE7 too. The stop and refresh buttons should be a little bigger though since I couldn't immediately see them at first either. I've liked the tab viewing since I first saw it in FireFox but I didn't want to switch over from IE. I haven't noticed any performance problems either.

Opus
11-15-2006, 01:03 PM
I upgraded to IE7 on the weekend. I like it. I've customized it to my likeing. the refresh button is next to the address bar. The stop button is next to that.

Get rid of the tabbed viewing first off. Go to tools > Internet options > tabs settings. If the tools menu isn't there, then right click on one of the bars.

Then, go to view > toolbars. Allow the menu toolbar. Get rid of the google bar, if you have that previously installed. IE7 already has a search bar. Also get rid of links.problem being is that I already have an indepedantly installed google bar that I prefer as it has the quick button beside it to get to the google home page where you can easily get to images or video and the like.....if I shut off the Google bar, it only gives me the google address bar to perform searches.

Esks4ever
11-15-2006, 01:06 PM
I don't like it much myself........don't need or want the tabs and it just added an extra bar to the top of my screen I didn't need /want or can get rid of......

i've allways had 3bars used up.. and the tabs are greayt... Eskfans, TSN, pogo all open on one screen.

Deathsdoorstep
11-15-2006, 01:15 PM
IE7 has a search bar that allows you to use google. So no need for Google bar.

esks4life
11-15-2006, 01:15 PM
3 posts here and not a mention of Mozilla?!

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Enjoy fella's. You can thank me later ;).
Love it. After seeing this I haven't gone back to IE for a long time.

Esks4ever
11-15-2006, 01:21 PM
Love it. After seeing this I haven't gone back to IE for a long time.

and i dont like Mozilla...

esks4life
11-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Good, it hates you too. :p

Deathsdoorstep
11-15-2006, 01:25 PM
I hate Mozilla and Firefox. Used them for a while, but so many websites don't properly work with Mozilla that I ditched it.

Diesel
11-15-2006, 01:30 PM
and i dont like Mozilla...

me neither, some stuff on pages doesn't load

Beerfish
11-15-2006, 01:32 PM
I went against my computer code of ethics and upgraded and some web based things I used before do not function or i am having problems with them.

As far as computers go I have come to the conclusion that you should NEVER EVER upgrade if your existing software is working in a satisfactory manner, no matter how much they talk about the improvments etc. I've been totally screwed by doing this a few times with other programs such as music match and earlier versions of IE and Netscape. (I used to prefer Netscape until they came out with Netscape 6 which was a total mess.)

crocodilejock
11-15-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm experiencing similar problems. Argh.

KnuckleChucker
11-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Firefox = good....:D

Steve Vale
11-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Opera - good...:D

For Mozilla - there are extensions to view IE in Firefox.

nightfall
11-15-2006, 05:46 PM
Firefox = good....:D

Ever since I switched to Firefox, I grumble every time I'm forced to use IE. I'm not much of a hardcore websurfer, but the few times that I remember pages not loading properly were msn and other microsoft-related pages... geez, what a coincidence....

Firefox rocks. Long live Firefox.

esks4life
11-15-2006, 06:41 PM
The only problem I have with Firefox is that pages you view sometimes time out. Esksfans does this every once in awhile. Nothing serious, just have to refresh it. But overall I find it to load faster then IE.

Angelus
11-15-2006, 08:42 PM
I :love: Firefox.

Esks4ever
11-16-2006, 01:42 PM
Just noticed something in IE7:

Hit Alt on your keyboard and it brings up file,edit, view, favorties, tools and help

Steve Vale
11-16-2006, 01:48 PM
I haven't used IE anything for about the last 4 years.

Deathsdoorstep
11-16-2006, 01:50 PM
I like IE. I don't understand the hatred for it. I used Mozilla for about 6 months and ditched it. Too problematic.

I'm interested in Opera, though. It's the web browser that the Wii will be using.

Steve Vale
11-16-2006, 02:02 PM
I like IE. I don't understand the hatred for it. I used Mozilla for about 6 months and ditched it. Too problematic.

I'm interested in Opera, though. It's the web browser that the Wii will be using.
I like Opera a lot. It's a tiny download size, and is a very fast browser (usually very quick rendering). I've found recently I don't use Mozilla as much - as it bloats the memory more often than it used to.

The only faults against Opera are that it doesn't do so well with impure HTML or XML - leaving some of the MS pages in a formatting funk. Usually though you're able to mask the browser as IE or Mozilla and it solves the problem. However save for the small number of pages that I surf that it funks up (most notably canada.com for some reason) it's worth it.

Angelus
11-16-2006, 04:21 PM
Just noticed something in IE7:

Hit Alt on your keyboard and it brings up file,edit, view, favorties, tools and helpUh...that's been the Windows standard for years...

and years....

and years....

Esks4ever
11-17-2006, 07:40 AM
Uh...that's been the Windows standard for years...

and years....

and years....

ya... but in IE7 those menus are not visible.. and only become visible after you hit Alt.

Opus
11-17-2006, 07:45 AM
ya... but in IE7 those menus are not visible.. and only become visible after you hit Alt.you can have them up at all times without having to hit alt.....you just have to enable it in your view

Esks4ever
11-17-2006, 07:48 AM
you can have them up at all times without having to hit alt.....you just have to enable it in your view
in IE7 ?

cuz i got the menus in IE6 and every other program i use :p

Opus
11-17-2006, 07:55 AM
yeah

Esks4ever
11-17-2006, 08:00 AM
ahh.. well i dont really care... I never use the menus anyways....I was just slamming my fist on the keyboard when I saw hitting Alt brought them up :lol:

Nanookster
11-18-2006, 07:56 PM
It is working better for me now. I think I was missing some updates. Once I updated IE7 is ran better. And thanks for the info provided to me in this thread.

I don't know how I missed the refresh and stop buttons. :)

Steve Vale
12-26-2006, 08:12 PM
And for those of you who still love Internet Explorer 6, there is this recent posting about a massive security hole from the Washington Post's 'Security Fix' blog which might cause you to reconsider.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2006/12/clipboard_data_theft_optional.html

<blockquote>Clipboard Data Theft Optional In IE 7

A little known secret about Microsoft's Internet Explorer Web browser is the long-standing feature that lets Web sites silently read data stored in the Windows "clipboard" -- the storage space that serves as a semi-temporary repository for any text the user has recently cut-and-pasted or copied in virtually any Windows program.

Apparently, Microsoft has finally changed that feature with IE 7. The newest version of the browser throws up a prompt asking users whether they really want to share the contents of their clipboard (should they stumble upon a site that tries to filch it).

Are you still using IE 6 and want to see how the clipboard feature works? Visit this harmless proof-of-concept site (http://www.scriptingmagic.com/Topics/IE%20Specific/Clipboard%20Plunder/) with IE 6 after you use a Windows program to copy and paste some text or numbers (even though it's a harmless example page, maybe it's best not to copy that Quicken data you were just entering).

As the site explains, data copied to the Windows clipboard stays there until it is replaced by more cut-and-pasted data, and/or when you log out of your machine or turn it off. It's probably worth mentioning that alternative Web browsers such as Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/) and Opera (http://www.opera.com/) do not allow Windows clipboard data-stealing.</blockquote>

If you want to solve the issue yourself, here's the info from Microsoft - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224993

Muley69
02-22-2007, 08:33 PM
IE 7 is just about the biggest piece of **** I've ever seen.

I can't count the number of times it freezes up on it's own. NEVER had this problem (to this extent) with older versions of it...and, of course, Opera / Firefox run circles around IE.

Esks4ever
02-22-2007, 08:52 PM
and I 've never had 1 prob with IE7

Delorean
02-22-2007, 08:56 PM
and I 've never had 1 prob with IE7

Me either, it's been very very stable for me ever since I started using it.

Muley69
02-22-2007, 08:56 PM
hmmm....maybe it's my computer then!

Delorean
02-22-2007, 09:00 PM
hmmm....maybe it's my computer then!

It could be you have a corrupted version or some kind of weird conflict with another program. Maybe if you do a reinstall it'll fix the problem.

Nanookster
03-15-2007, 08:31 AM
It could be you have a corrupted version or some kind of weird conflict with another program. Maybe if you do a reinstall it'll fix the problem.
My problem was fixed with an update.