PDA

View Full Version : The Most Expensive Hat Ever

quake
04-19-2007, 10:03 AM
Urlacher fined $100,000 for Super Bowl hat

April 18, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher was fined $100,000 by the NFL for wearing a cap during Super Bowl media day that promoted a sponsor not authorized by the league.

NFL rules prohibit gear that advertises any product but a designated sponsor, league spokesman Brian McCarthy said Wednesday.

Urlacher was fined for drinking vitaminwater and wearing a vitaminwater hat during the media session in Miami leading to the title game. Gatorade is the NFL's official drink.

McCarthy said this is the first time such a fine has been levied. He added that $100,000 is the standard fine for such a violation at the Super Bowl. A violation during the regular season is $10,000. It is $50,000 at the Pro Bowl.

The fine recalls an episode involving Chicago quarterback Jim McMahon in the playoffs following the 1985 season, the previous time the Bears made the Super Bowl.

McMahon wore a headband that said "adidas" in a playoff game against the New York Giants, and then-commissioner Pete Rozelle fined him $5,000 because the shoe company was not an NFL sponsor. The following week, in the NFC title game against the Los Angeles Rams, McMahon wore a headband that read "rozelle."

I wore unauthorized facial hair at work for 3 years and they never find me.

Uncle Bobby
04-19-2007, 10:14 AM
So the company picks up the $100,000 fine and gets tons of publicity. A lot cheaper than a $2 million dollar 30 second ad.

Great marketing ploy. You'll see more of these.

quake
04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
So the company picks up the $100,000 fine and gets tons of publicity. A lot cheaper than a $2 million dollar 30 second ad.

Great marketing ploy. You'll see more of these.
Interesting angle but they didn't get the coverage they were looking for 3 months ago.

Uncle Bobby
04-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Interesting angle but they didn't get the coverage they were looking for 3 months ago.You're right. I never heard of vitaminwater before. But I know who they are now!

quake
04-19-2007, 10:28 AM
You're right. I never heard of vitaminwater before. But I know who they are now!
You got it. Maybe the future official vitiaminwater to the NFL

Bluenoser
04-19-2007, 11:04 AM
I have seen more than one hat worn in Edmonton that requires some serious fines! :) ... Especially the kids that wear them sideways.. Whats with that! :confused:

quake
04-19-2007, 11:05 AM
I have seen more than one hat worn in Edmonton that requires some serious fines! :) ... Especially the kids that wear them sideways.. Whats with that! :confused:
I think I'm gonna start wearing a hat sideways and inside out.

Bluenoser
04-19-2007, 11:06 AM
Hummmmm..... start listening to Rap too.... :cool:

Numberz
04-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I'm not a big fan a hats period. I hate it especially when people where them sideways. Backwards is alright, but sideways is stupid.

quake
04-19-2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not a big fan a hats period. I hate it especially when people where them sideways. Backwards is alright, but sideways is stupid.
yep

Diesel
04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
Kids wear em that way because they get that big aero-push that makes em walk like a homie....

(or was that homo?)

Numberz
04-19-2007, 05:07 PM
(or was that homo?)

No, I think it's just 'jackass'

quake
04-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Kids wear em that way because they get that big aero-push that makes em walk like a homie....

(or was that homo?)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: x 1000

Bluenoser
04-19-2007, 05:14 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: x 1000

Thats the way I feel when I seen the kids with their hats that way and the jeans that are half way down their ass. My son is 6'2" but can buy a 30" inseam and it STILL DRAGS ON THE GROUND! :D :thumdn:

earl2
04-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Thats the way I feel when I seen the kids with their hats that way and the jeans that are half way down their ass. My son is 6'2" but can buy a 30" inseam and it STILL DRAGS ON THE GROUND! :D :thumdn:
I'm reminded of the time last year in Hythe AB when I saw some 6' tall kid who weighed maybe 130 lbs leaning against the convenience store, hat on sideways (with that stupid straight brim thing that they do...), pants down below his crotch, a basketball jersey, and gold chains blinging around his neck, while he proceeded to strike numerous "cool" poses.
It took everything I had to not grab this kid, beat on him for awhile and start screaming "Your poor dad is on some Godforsaken combine right now, working 18 hrs a day, and he's probably happier than hell right now because he's not looking at your stupid face and thinking about what an embarrassment you are to him."

I don't know why these kids make me so angry... :eek:

fivedaytrial
04-19-2007, 11:02 PM
kids today seem to think nobody preceeded them and therefore they do not need to be mindful of elders or their teachings ,many of them don't know what our fathers and grandfathers went through and sacraficed for this country .most of them couldn't imagine strapping on a uniform and being shipped off to war at 18 .life is to cushy for them and it has made them lazy and self serving.perhaps that might have something to do with why they make you so pissed

esks4life
04-19-2007, 11:04 PM
Note to self...Watch for Earl 2 to be the next nutbar to go postal at a school...:p

earl2
04-19-2007, 11:05 PM
Note to self...Watch for Earl 2 to be the next nutbar to go postal at a school...:p
:lol: :lol:
I don't own a gun. I'd have to use a shoe-horn... :p

PDO
04-19-2007, 11:16 PM
I'm reminded of the time last year in Hythe AB when I saw some 6' tall kid who weighed maybe 130 lbs leaning against the convenience store, hat on sideways (with that stupid straight brim thing that they do...), pants down below his crotch, a basketball jersey, and gold chains blinging around his neck, while he proceeded to strike numerous "cool" poses.
It took everything I had to not grab this kid, beat on him for awhile and start screaming "Your poor dad is on some Godforsaken combine right now, working 18 hrs a day, and he's probably happier than hell right now because he's not looking at your stupid face and thinking about what an embarrassment you are to him."

I don't know why these kids make me so angry... :eek:

:rofl:

I don't think Earl would need a gun to go on a killing rampage at a highschool. With that kind of rage, he'd be a Chuck Norris-like state of ass kicking.

Numberz
04-19-2007, 11:31 PM

I don't think Earl would need a gun to go on a killing rampage at a highschool. With that kind of rage, he'd be a Chuck Norris-like state of ass kicking.

round house kick to the face, adjusting one's face so that the cap goes on straight?