PDA

View Full Version : Muckler Fired?

earl2
06-17-2007, 02:23 PM
Ottawa Senators fire GM John Muckler: report

(CBC) - The Ottawa Senators have fired general manager John Muckler in a surprising move that could be announced on Sunday, according to a report in the Toronto Sun.

"I haven't been told anything," Muckler said when asked about the rumours.

When pressed about whether Senators owner Eugene Melnyk would clarify the situation on Sunday, Muckler responded: "I don't know. You'll have to speak to the owner about that."

Muckler, 73, refused any other comment on the matter on Saturday, and instead referred all questions pertaining to his future to Melnyk.

Muckler, a five-time Stanley Cup winner with the Edmonton Oilers, joined the Senators in June of 2002.

Ken Villazor, a spokesman for Melnyk, would neither confirm nor deny the report, saying "the owner has released a statement that he was reviewing all management with the club."

After another solid regular season that saw the team compile a record of 48-25-9, the Senators finally shook the label of playoff chokers by reaching the Stanley Cup final with a roster Muckler helped build.

With the departure of players like Zedeno Chara and Martin Havlat this past offseason, Muckler acquired less heralded players such as Joe Corvo, Tom Preissing and Mike Comrie who all figured prominently in Ottawa's 2007 playoff run.

But the Senators seemed to lose all momentum in the final, falling to the Anaheim Ducks in five games.

Despite the disappointing result, Muckler stated that he intended to return for the final year of his contract and had no desire to leave.

"I'm having too much fun," he said at the club's end of season news conference.

Numberz
06-17-2007, 04:09 PM
so, bring him to E-Town?

:D

Esks4ever
06-17-2007, 04:17 PM
Muckler, 73,

holy crap :eek:

MotorSportsGord
06-18-2007, 02:09 PM
Sounds like Muckler lost a power struggle.