PDA

View Full Version : Computer Prob - need help

Esks4ever
04-25-2008, 10:07 AM
My computer doesn't reconzise any USB port devices.. Mouse, portable drive nothing...

There is still power going to them, because I can hook up my cell phone charger and i'll start charging my phone.....

The only different from other days was a Registry Clean up was performed using Registry mechanic from PC Tools...

Inquiring Mind
04-25-2008, 10:28 AM
I think it's time you toss that computer off the nearest balcony... ;) :p

Opus
04-25-2008, 12:03 PM
*Note to self.......don't dick with Registry settings.....

I'm about the farthest thing from an expert (just barely functional actually), but would re-installing your OS help?

Traxy
04-25-2008, 12:05 PM
My computer doesn't reconzise any USB port devices.. Mouse, portable drive nothing...

There is still power going to them, because I can hook up my cell phone charger and i'll start charging my phone.....

The only different from other days was a Registry Clean up was performed using Registry mechanic from PC Tools...

Go into device manager. Delete everything under the USB heading at the bottom (hope you're good with a keyboard as this will kill the mouse if its working at all). Reboot the system and allow everything to re-detect itself and you should be in business.

Traxy
04-25-2008, 12:06 PM
*Note to self.......don't dick with Registry settings.....

I'm about the farthest thing from an expert (just barely functional actually), but would re-installing your OS help?

Nope, thats using a cannon to kill a fly. Baby steps first, rebuilding an OS is a last ditch fix.

Opus
04-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Nope, thats using a cannon to kill a fly.
...but you see......that's how I roll.....:lol:

Rayminator
04-25-2008, 01:37 PM
1 question:

Does this occur in all USB ports or just one? Try multiple devices in other ports if you haven't already.

Otherwise here are my other suggestions:

- reset the BIOS
- update the BIOS
- check for busted/missing pins in your USB ports :eek: - I know it sounds hokey but sometimes if a lot of USB devices go in/out of system sometimes they get removed with too much force or at too much of an angle, breaking pins inside the port
- try the devices in safe mode - if they work fine in safe mode this might be a pretty good indication to reinstall the OS like Opus said
- try to reinstall the chipset driver or any other driver which may affect it (I know with Dells they have a driver called Desktop or Notebook System Software [depending on of course whether it's a desktop or notebook] which enabled device functionality for various pieces of hardware; any other manufacturers will probably have an equivalent)
- any 3rd party expansion cards in your system? Remove them and try; there may be compatibility issues
- system restore to before the problem occured (assuming you're using a PC with Windows as your OS)
- try removing the USB root hubs in device manager as Traxy suggested

Worst case scenario you'll have to reinstall the OS or replace the motherboard...:(...sucks I know but those ultimately are the 2 worst case scenarios you'll face.

Numberz
04-25-2008, 02:04 PM
Same thing happened to me a while back, unfortunately, I have no idea how I fixed it.

Swivel Hips
04-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Same thing happened to me a while back, unfortunately, I have no idea how I fixed it.

Prayed for the best and went and had another beer!

Cheers,

SH:D

Sgt. Nuke
04-25-2008, 06:34 PM
Wow. This is a lot of nerdiness for just one thread.

:D

budha
04-25-2008, 07:19 PM
Rebiulding the OS is not actually the hard, mostly just a pain in the ass, you have to back everything up onto disk, and then reinstall all of the drivers and software updates. The fact that your Cell phone charges tells me that it would tend to be software and not hardware related. I personally would redo all of the software stuff before you start playing around with chips and such (hope you know all the hot keys BTW to navigate around windows).

other then that, a balcony sounds about right to me, or draging it behind my car while I went to go get a new one. Your choice

Inquiring Mind
04-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Rebiulding the OS is not actually the hard...

http://dynamic-evolution.com/macros/unix.jpg

Nerd... :p

j/k ;)