PDA

View Full Version : Report: Tiger-Cats suspend Osbaldiston

Esks4ever
06-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Report: Tiger-Cats suspend Osbaldiston

TSN.ca Staff

6/1/2004

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats have suspended kicker Paul Osbaldiston after he walked out on the team during halftime of Hamilton's 33-10 pre-season loss to the Toronto Argonauts on Sunday.

According to the Toronto Sun, the 40-year-old Osbaldiston has taken an absence without leave from the Hamilton Tiger-Cats roster, possibly ending his career.

Osbaldiston struggled in 2003 because of a nagging injury. He struggled again on Sunday, missing a 33-yard field goal and averaging only 23 yards on his first four punts - all against the wind. He was booed by the crowd at Ivor Wynne after his field goal attempt sailed wide.

Hamilton head coach Greg Marshall said he would sit down with the veteran kicker.

''He'll be honest with us, he always has been,'' Marshall told the Toronto Sun.

Opus
06-01-2004, 12:37 PM
Strange that a future hall of famer could be so remiss.....to just walk out on his teammates like that......pretty sad to leave things like that if this is the end of Ozzy.

Diesel
06-01-2004, 12:47 PM
After his dismal season last year, the cats shouldn't have brought him back. Would have spared him the embarassment.

Andrew
06-02-2004, 09:13 PM
He retired.

MEEZY
06-02-2004, 10:05 PM
He retired.

It's about time... :rolleyes:

Opus
06-03-2004, 07:27 AM
ya, moot point now I guess.......he could have ended things better though......

Muley69
06-03-2004, 08:16 AM
People seem deeply divided as to whether or not "walking out at half time" was the right thing to do.

Myself personally? Well...he maybe shouldn't have even come to camp. And they were booing him off the field partly (mostly???) due to a piss-poor 2003 season and with no other kicking prospects in sight.

If I was a Cats fan, I would have been frustrated too!

Opus
06-03-2004, 08:29 AM
the fact that he was so over weight says that his heart wasn't in it anymore.......he's been on a decline the last couple years......

Esks4ever
06-03-2004, 09:04 AM
a sad end to a great career... he should have hung them up before last year's craptacular performance.

MEEZY
06-03-2004, 11:25 AM
I agree with most of you; he shouldn't have even come to camp in the first place. Did he think that the fans would react differently? TiCat fans apparently don't have poor short-term memories. Did he think that another year of age would make him better? Well, apparently he's not like fine wine... :greysick:

IMO, his actions not only embarrassed himself, but also embarrassed the Ti-Cat organization. After the black cloud that hung over that franchise last season, the last thing they needed to put a dint in their fresh start with Bob Young as the new owner this year. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but incidents like this just reinforce the perception that Americans have as our league being a joke.

For the Ti-Cats sake, I hope that they have enough time to find a new kicker. What happened to Currie, who they were using on punts last year? :headscra:

Opus
06-03-2004, 01:01 PM
He should have stuck out the game and announced his retirement this week under better circumstances.... :greysick:

Esks4ever
06-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Well, apparently he's not like fine wine...

But he wines fine :heh_heh:

Opus
06-07-2004, 07:58 AM
Well, apparently he's not like fine wine...

But he wines fine :heh_heh:oooooohhhhhh.......punny.....

Esks4ever
06-07-2004, 10:40 AM
I thank ya :)

Opus
06-07-2004, 02:07 PM
be careful one of those could turn into a stinker real quickly :lol: