PDA

View Full Version : Game Six Controversy

Touchdown Vaughn
06-05-2004, 10:56 PM
I didn't get to watch until there were 7 minutes left in the first OT.

I'm shocked that several TV sportscasters have said the Flames scored on the Gelinas play. The only camera angle I saw them show was one from the blue line looking in on an angle. Sure, they zoom in and there is separation between the puck and goal line, but the puck is up in the air. Did they show the overhead angle at any point?

ESPN.com says the play was not reviewed, but TSN.ca had quotes from Colin Campbell saying it was inconclusive.

It seems to me an overhead view would solve everything even if the puck was up in the air. I feel the media (specifically The Score and Sportsnet, I didn't see what TSN did) is only showing the camera angle that would create the most controversy.

Andrew
06-05-2004, 11:19 PM
Very very close, I personally don't think it crossed.

Esks4ever
06-05-2004, 11:36 PM
you can't tell one way or the other...

lloyd
06-05-2004, 11:42 PM
I think it crossed. the league wouldnt publicly say the refs made a mistkae that cost one team the cup.

Angelus
06-06-2004, 01:41 AM
It was totally inconclusive. You could not tell from any angle that I saw.

Diesel
06-06-2004, 12:26 PM
Who cares? The Flames lost, rejoice!!! :Flip_ani:

Esks996
06-06-2004, 02:00 PM
Amen!!

Touchdown Vaughn
06-06-2004, 03:17 PM
I think it crossed. the league wouldnt publicly say the refs made a mistkae that cost one team the cup.

The refs didn't make a mistake. In fact, no one on the ice had any idea it was so close to going in and neither team nor the on-ice officials even thought to want a review.

If anyone made a mistake, it was upstairs for not calling down and pausing the game to take a look.

Anyway, if all you can say is "I think it crossed," then it is indeed inconclusive and should not have counted. How would you like to be Tampa and lose the game when the officials are saying, "Yeah, I guess it kind of looks like it might have gone in, even though it's not a great camera angle, so we'll give it to them."

That's why the Flames aren't bitching, because they know they wouldn't want to lose a game on a call like that.

Andrew
06-06-2004, 03:22 PM
It's funny how the Flames coach says the league made the right call, and fan's are saying they didn't?

Touchdown Vaughn
06-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Most fans will never think logically about calls that affect their team. They just expect everything to be ruled in their favour.

Diesel
06-06-2004, 03:42 PM
That being said, it was a fumble.

Touchdown Vaughn
06-06-2004, 03:55 PM
It was a fumble.

But would that ruling have meant a Grey Cup win? No, it merely would have increased the probability of that happening.

But was Gelinas' chance clearly a goal?

No way.

It's like talking about time travel, baby! Sure, you could go back and kill Hitler, but what if someone WORSE came along...

Muley69
06-06-2004, 04:10 PM
It's funny how the Flames coach says the league made the right call, and fan's are saying they didn't?

Geez Andrew, which would you prefer:

(a) Coach agrees that it was a blown call. The whole city and the team themselves fall all over themselves regarding how badly they were bent over, how they should be hoisting the cup, etc.

or

(b) Coach agrees it was inconclusive -- his opinion wouldn't change anything anyways. If the coach ain't worked up about it, he is then in a better position to quell any player unrest about it. This way he can get them prepared for the game that matters -- you know, GAME SEVEN -- rather than blither on and on about "what might have been".

Personally, Sutter did what EVERY coach should do in that situation.

Opus
06-07-2004, 07:53 AM
Whether the play was reviewed or not, it still would not have been a goal as Gelinas directed it into the net with his right skate. It was very close as to whether or not it crossed the line, but it still was not a goal at any rate.

Diesel
06-07-2004, 08:48 AM
Colin Campbell said they looked at it at the video room in TO and had it have hone to video review there would not have been enough evidence to overturn the call on the ice, so it's a mute point.

Touchdown Vaughn
06-07-2004, 08:50 AM
I don't think the skate thing would have mattered. There has to be an obvious kicking motion for a goal not to count. They've counted goals when a guy just turned his skate in the direction of the net. Gelinas didn't lift his foot off the ice to boot at it. Plus, I don't think you could rule he had time to really direct it given the mish-mash in front.

Esks4ever
06-07-2004, 10:03 AM
its done with....and if Calgary loses tonight, you'll hear about it for years and years and years....

Diesel
06-07-2004, 10:43 AM
I wouldn't mind hearing about how calgary got screwed if it means they lost! :lol: :azzangel:

Opus
06-07-2004, 02:04 PM
I'm still really liking this line.........

That being said, it was a fumble.

:lol: :lol: :lol: