PDA

View Full Version : More York Yak

Esks4ever
06-09-2004, 09:25 PM
A trade that makes sense

Contrary to what people are saying around the watercooler, dealing Marcus Brady to Hamilton was the right move by the Argonauts.

There was plenty of moaning in the Toronto area Wednesday from fans and media types who had serious trouble understanding why the Argonauts would trade quarterback Marcus Brady to the Hamilton Tiger-Cats for guard Mike Mihelic.

Well, here's a quick explanation: The Argos made the deal because it made perfect sense for them to do so.

All the second-guessing Wednesday about Brady's departure by the aformentioned Toronto complainers was downright senseless. What's the kid done to deserve the accolades? Next to nothing, that's what.

Brady has had all of one -- ONE -- good game in the Canadian Football League. That was in last year's Eastern final, when he came off the bench and performed well but still came up short of defeating the Montreal Alouettes.

Mihelic, meanwhile, is a large, experienced Canadian who will bolster an offensive line that became desperately needy after a knee injury to Sandy Annunziata.

But here's what really makes sense about the trade: The Argos needed to make room for a much better quarterback.

His name: Michael Bishop.

And please don't question this. Any football scout on either side of the border will tell you that Brady cannot hold Bishop's jock strap. Bishop is a former All-American, a former Heisman Trophy candidate, and a former National Football Leaguer, and he's still young enough to qualify as a future CFL Hall of Famer.

Brady is none of the above.

Ron Lancaster, Hamilton's beleaguered general manager, insisted in public Wednesday that the acquisition of Brady automatically improves the Tiger-Cats. And that's probably true, considering how poor a team these Ticats are. But don't for a minute believe that Brady's potential is anywhere near Bishop's potential. Brady's background and credentials simply don't rank with Bishop's background and credentials.

Bishop's arm is incredibly strong, to the point where scouts believe he has no peers in pro football, with the exception of the Atlanta Falcons' Michael Vick. Bishop also can run like a deer. In the words of Toronto head coach Michael Clemons, Bishop has more raw talent than any quarterback in the CFL.

What prevented Bishop from flourishing for the Argos in the past was his failure to read CFL defences and fully comprehend Canadian football. He received no credible tutelage from any offensive coaches.

That's where Kent Austin comes in.

Austin, once a star quarterback in the CFL himself, is the Argos' new offensive co-ordinator. Austin and Bishop, according to Toronto general manager Adam Rita, were made for each other. They get along tremendously well. It was Austin's responsibility in training camp to choose the Argos' quarterbacks. He's decided to begin the season with veteran Damon Allen as his starting quarterback, but it's his intention to ultimately replace Allen with Bishop. Austin likes everything he sees about Bishop and he'll take it upon himself to teach the quarterback all about the CFL. He didn't like everything he saw about Brady.

Austin and Bishop will be around the Argos for a long time, so Argo-nuts may as well get used to it. Sooner or later, Austin will succeed Clemons as the Argos' head coach. Sooner or later, Bishop will succeed Allen as the Argos' starting quarterback.

There simply was no room in Argo-land for Marcus Brady; he and his six-figure salary had to go. It made perfect sense to trade him for a very skillful offensive lineman. It's a lot better than simply cutting him and getting nothing in return.

---------

The Flames made Calgarians proud, but it's doubtful that the trend will continue with the Stampeders.

In fact, from what I'm hearing, last year's circus seems to be picking up right where it left off. The regular-season opener for the Stamps isn't until June 20, but some of the Stamps already are uneasy because of what they perceive as an effort by new coach/general manager Matt Dunigan to purge the Stamps of his predecessor's recruits.

For instance, Dunigan cut one of Jim Barker's favourite players, Saladin McCullough, even though most of the Stamps thought he was by far the best running back in training camp. And there also have been rumblings that Darnell McDonald, the top Calgary receiver last year and another Barker protege, is being shopped around the CFL by Dunigan.

And here's another rumbling I keep hearing: Dunigan hasn't been happy with Marcus Crandell or any of the other QBs in camp so, I'm told, he's thinking of adding Kevin Feterik to the Calgary roster -- yes, the owner's son, the same Kevin Feterik who was at the centre of all the Calgary controversy last season. In fact, Barker told me recently he thinks the real reason he was fired after last season is that he stood up to Michael Feterik and told him he wouldn't play his son.

Dunigan has enough headaches trying to learn on the job and working with a mediocre roster. Bringing back Kevin Feterik might just be suicidal for Dunigan.

---------

By the way, a CFL spokesperson told me Wednesday that the league is still continuing its investigation of Dunigan, who was charged by the Argos of tampering with kicker Noel Prefontaine during the off-season.

---------

I should tell you about another CFL-style controversy, this one in Montreal.

Suggestions are strong that Neal Fort -- a first-rate, 11-year offensive lineman -- is on his way out. The reason, sources say, is that coach Don Matthews wants to dump the player he considers the Als' locker-room lawyer.Fort is the Als' player rep.
---------

So I'm going to go on record here and now as saying that I think this will be a great year for Rider Pride.

I'm predicting that the Saskatchewan Roughriders will finish atop the Western Division and will make it to the Grey Cup game, and I intend to unabashedly proclaim all this on our first CFL telecast on Rogers Sportsnet. The historic occasion is on June 20, when the Stamps visit the Riders.

The game might end up being blacked out in Saskatchewan if the Riders can't sell enough tickets for the home-opener, but I might as well tell you now that I think Saskatchewan linebacker Reggie Hunt is the best defensive player in the CFL and leads the best defence in the CFL.

I also think Riders coach Danny Barrett will replace Nealon Greene with Henry Burris eventually but that the quarterback controversy will be healthy for the team, not counterproductive. The Riders will get the best out of both Greene and Burris, just as the old Edmonton Eskimos got the best out of Tom Wilkinson and Warren Moon and just as the old Argos got the best out of Condredge Holloway and Joe Barnes.

And both of those teams, remember, won Grey Cups.

Esks4ever
06-09-2004, 09:29 PM
OMG Argo this Argo that... why don't he just go out,. proclaim he is gay and start courting Bishop allready..

Sask to finish first and win the West hahahahhahahaha not gunna happen. Sorry Sask fans. Not with Burris and Not with greene.

And comparing them to the great Wilkie and Moon is a huge insult..

Somebody Muzzle that ass !

Angelus
06-09-2004, 09:35 PM
He's dead on about the Brady/Bishop thing. I couldn't agree more.

Opus
06-10-2004, 12:34 AM
He's dead on about the Brady/Bishop thing. I couldn't agree more.agree, he lost me after that though........did I actually read Brady has a 6 figure contract? Where did he find that out? His sources? :eek:

Angelus
06-10-2004, 01:18 AM
[quote:ed70e0bfd2="Angelus"]He's dead on about the Brady/Bishop thing. I couldn't agree more.agree, he lost me after that though........did I actually read Brady has a 6 figure contract? Where did he find that out? His sources? :eek:[/quote:ed70e0bfd2]

Holy...I didn't even see that. I should read more carefully I guess...

I seriously doubt Brady makes that much.

Green Blood
06-10-2004, 01:25 AM
He's dead on about the Brady/Bishop thing. I couldn't agree more.

Really?

No slight attempted on your observations Angelus - but Bishop has done zilch, to impress me - ie: many College rookies, don't live up to (NFL) billing/hype. He's an incredible athlete, and an absolute cannon for an arm. Maybe Kent Austin, and yourself see something I don't ...

Brady did beat the 'Als once in 2003, and almost beat them again in the Eastern Final (2003).

Angelus
06-10-2004, 02:14 AM
Bishop hasn't impressed me either. But he has all the tools and ton of potential.

Brady can't even complete half his attempts. He's had the one good game and that's it.

Opus
06-10-2004, 02:16 AM
what are you still doing up Phil?

Esks4ever
06-10-2004, 07:34 AM
He may be right about the Bishop / Brady thing.. But i dislike how he is in love with Bishop like he's the greatest thing since slice bread...I bet if given the choice of having a QB between Ray and Bishop he'd pick bishop despite the fact that Bishop may have the tools but he's proven squat, yet Ray , who also has the tools, has proven himself...

Opus
06-10-2004, 09:35 AM
He's an Argo fan.......one who doesn't see very clearly.......

MEEZY
06-10-2004, 11:02 AM

The same could be said for you, Fish! :lol:

Since you're usually up early, you must not get much sleep! :eek:

.. But i dislike how he is in love with Bishop like he's the greatest thing since slice bread

It seems like everybody's partial to a particular QB...Danny and Nealon, Tom and Bart...the list goes on. I wonder if the Bishop family is one of Marty's sources? :headscra:

But I totally agree with you, E4E. Bishop is the complete opposite of Ricky Ray. He has all of the tools and none of the smarts. Ricky doesn't have the powerful arm or the scrambling ability, but he's got it in his head. Comparing those two certainly makes you realize what's more important...athleticism or brains.

On another note, could you imagine if you combined the physical abilities of Bishop with the smarts of Ricky Ray? :eek:

lloyd
06-10-2004, 11:34 AM
Sask to finish first and win the West hahahahhahahaha not gunna happen. Sorry Sask fans. Not with Burris and Not with greene

well first place wont go to an overaged team, it wont go to the stamps, it wont go to a team wihtout there star qb, and it wont go to a team with an injured star QB, so by process of elimination...

Green Blood
06-10-2004, 11:48 AM
On another note, could you imagine if you combined the physical abilities of Bishop with the smarts of Ricky Ray? :eek:

Warren Moon and Doug Flutie.

Angelus
06-10-2004, 12:14 PM

:lol:

That was my last post of the night before going to bed...didn't even see this msg... ;)

Esks4ever
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
But I totally agree with you, E4E. Bishop is the complete opposite of Ricky Ray. He has all of the tools and none of the smarts. Ricky doesn't have the powerful arm or the scrambling ability, but he's got it in his head. Comparing those two certainly makes you realize what's more important...athleticism or brains.

Whoa things are getting freaky you've agreed with me 2 times in the past few days... :lol:

Esks4ever
06-10-2004, 12:17 PM
Sask to finish first and win the West hahahahhahahaha not gunna happen. Sorry Sask fans. Not with Burris and Not with greene

well first place wont go to an overaged team, it wont go to the stamps, it wont go to a team wihtout there star qb, and it wont go to a team with an injured star QB, so by process of elimination...

What ever makes you sleep at night

MEEZY
06-10-2004, 12:25 PM
Whoa things are getting freaky you've agreed with me 2 times in the past few days...

We certainly can't let it happen again! :eek: :lol:

Opus
06-10-2004, 12:32 PM
Quote:

The same could be said for you!

Since you're usually up early, you must not get much sleep!
I got 4 hours....that'll do......I'll sleep plenty when I'm dead, until that happens it's all or nothin'...... :crazy:

MEEZY
06-10-2004, 12:41 PM
I got 4 hours....that'll do......I'll sleep plenty when I'm dead, until that happens it's all or nothin'......

I need my 8-10 hours a night! :azzangel:

lloyd
06-10-2004, 12:49 PM
What ever makes you sleep at night

well come on, if marty said it is has to be true.

actually primetime sports radio show said they thought riders were the gc favourites for this year... things are awfully strange when people dont doubt the riders.

Opus
06-10-2004, 12:57 PM
well come on, if marty said it is has to be true.

and if you said that........is that now a double negative type thing....... :headscra: .........ewwwwww, my stomach is getting queezy thinking about this...... :greysick:

Esk Reporter
06-10-2004, 01:11 PM
[quote:6a16864a38="Frito's Fan"]On another note, could you imagine if you combined the physical abilities of Bishop with the smarts of Ricky Ray? :eek:

Warren Moon and Doug Flutie.[/quote:6a16864a38]

What physical skills did Flutie have? Other than the ability to scramble, I cannot think of any other ones!

Opus
06-10-2004, 01:12 PM
Moon would be the closest similarity IMO

Green Blood
06-10-2004, 01:18 PM
What physical skills did Flutie have? Other than the ability to scramble, I cannot think of any other ones!

Flutie has an adequate arm, much like Ray. The ability to throw 80 yards is impressive - but do it with any sort of accuracy ... Flutie rarely outsmarts himself.

Moon is the better comparision, for sure.

Esks4ever
06-10-2004, 02:06 PM
And that sports show was based where ? If there was to be a favorite for the GC again it would have to be Montreal. Edmonton has some questions that need to be answered - namely at QB.

Can Winnipeg do as good with out sellers

BC can DD's knees hold out

Calgary umm well the Flames made it to the stanley cup..

Sask can they be as good with the lose of quality players to the NFL, and they have QB issures

Toronto QB, rb...

Hamilton they have at least 2 wins in them don't they ?

Ottawa can Joesph do it ?

Montreal lost a few players but still have Mathews at the helm and a good group of players.

So I'd think MOntreal would be the fav to make it back to the cup...

lloyd
06-10-2004, 03:48 PM
And that sports show was based where ?

actually its broadcasted throughout canada, where is it based out of? probably toronto, but i wouldnt know.

MEEZY
06-10-2004, 06:10 PM
And that sports show was based where ?

actually its broadcasted throughout canada, where is it based out of? probably toronto, but i wouldnt know.

I think that's what E4E was trying to imply; because Sportsnet is based out of Toronto, then York is biased towards the Argos.

lloyd
06-10-2004, 06:18 PM
I think that's what E4E was trying to imply; because Sportsnet is based out of Toronto, then York is biased towards the Argos

im pretty sure he was referring to Primetime sports radio show, which he thought was a local regina radio show.
E4E? clarify?

GridironHeros
06-12-2004, 09:04 AM
[quote:140dcfc2ac="Green Blood"][quote:140dcfc2ac="Frito's Fan"]On another note, could you imagine if you combined the physical abilities of Bishop with the smarts of Ricky Ray? :eek:

Warren Moon and Doug Flutie.[/quote:140dcfc2ac]

What physical skills did Flutie have? Other than the ability to scramble, I cannot think of any other ones![/quote:140dcfc2ac]

Tsk, tsk, tsk, Esk Reporter... I'd expect a comment like that from a blinkered NFL fan. The kind that still refuse to give Flutie credit, despite all the evidence of their own eyes. But from someone who has seen him play "REAL football" up here? <shaking head...> :(

EVERY QB coach will talk about how critical it is to plant your feet before making the throw, yet how many times have we all seen "little Dougie" do that vertical leap of his (no doubt to see over the defenders in front of him :lol: ), and complete a pass with NO feet on the ground??? He's uncanny! That is ALL arm and body strength my friend. "Physical skills"?? I'd like to hear your theory on how the man threw (not scrambled; THREW) for over 41,000 yards (!!) in just 8 seasons *WITHOUT* physical skills?? <shaking head...> :huh:

Esk Reporter
06-12-2004, 12:40 PM
Tsk, tsk, tsk, Esk Reporter... I'd expect a comment like that from a blinkered NFL fan. The kind that still refuse to give Flutie credit, despite all the evidence of their own eyes. But from someone who has seen him play "REAL football" up here? <shaking head...> :(

Doug Fllutie was a great quarterback and even he will tell you that he was not a physical specimen compared to others that played the game. He got the job done because of his ability to scramble and his knowledge of the game.

EVERY QB coach will talk about how critical it is to plant your feet before making the throw, yet how many times have we all seen "little Dougie" do that vertical leap of his (no doubt to see over the defenders in front of him :lol: ), and complete a pass with NO feet on the ground??? He's uncanny! That is ALL arm and body strength my friend.

No, it is not..that is athletic ability. He never was the fastest guy on the field or able to throw the 80 yard bomb for the TD, but he would scramble around and make a play when others did not. THAT was the physical aspect of Doug Flutie that made him exceptional...and like I said it was the only one!!

"Physical skills"?? I'd like to hear your theory on how the man threw (not scrambled; THREW) for over 41,000 yards (!!) in just 8 seasons *WITHOUT* physical skills?? <shaking head...> :huh:

That is easy, he stayed healthy and was a very smart QB. Danny McManus has thrown for over 42,000 yards are you trying to tell me that it is because he is a 'physical speicmen'?? Hardly!! To play the game this long, you have to be healthy and smart...and Flutie was just that!!

Jedrock43
06-12-2004, 02:56 PM
Healthy, smart, and a little bit lucky.

GridironHeros
06-12-2004, 05:04 PM
@Esk Reporter:

Doug Fllutie was a great quarterback and even he will tell you that he was not a physical specimen compared to others that played the game

Well, now you are changing your story though, aren't you? Nowhere previously did you say anything about Flutie being "a physical specimen compared to others that played the game". That isn't what we were talking about at all! We were talking about his "physical skills" because you were disparaging them. Not his physical size. OF COURSE he isn't the same kind of "physical specimen" as other, bigger, QBs. But that is what makes his actual physical skills *more* impressive. Not *less*.

He never was the fastest guy on the field or able to throw the 80 yard bomb for the TD, but he would scramble around and make a play when others did not.

Well, of course I never said he was "the fastest guy on the field"; I said his physical skills deserved some respect. The throwing (accurately) while in the midst of a vertical leap was merely one example of that. Another was his truly impressive ability to be running in one direction, and then throw the ball (accurately!) ACROSS his body in the opposite direction, across the entire field. "Down the field" is not the ONLY way to measure the distance a ball travels you know?. Some of those cross-body passes were every bit as long as the "down the field" throws of other QBs. Perhaps you have forgotten some of his performances? :huh:

That is easy, he stayed healthy and was a very smart QB. Danny McManus has thrown for over 42,000 yards are you trying to tell me that it is because he is a 'physical speicmen'?? Hardly!!

Well I must say I am intrigued. If that was so "easy" to accomplish, I am curious as to why NO OTHER quarterback, in ANY pro league, has EVER thrown (again, this has nothing to do with "scrambling" :heh_heh: ) for as many yards in as short a time span as Flutie did??? Indeed, your mentioning of Danny Mac only strengthens my point. For while it is true McManus has thrown for comparable yards (in fact a little more now), it took him THIRTEEN years to do so!!

In short it only takes the evidence of one's eyes to realise that Flutie posesses an impressive package of "physical skills" which have enabled him to excel here and elsewhere. To belittle his achievements as little more than "scrambling" seemed a disservice to one of the greats of our game. I just wanted to point that out. :azzangel:

Jedrock43
06-12-2004, 10:29 PM
Flutie was the Wayne Gretzky of football. To the untrained eye it would appear that this man had average physical tools but that is not the case. I would go so far as to say that he has a stronger arm than any of the qb's the Esks have on their roster right now. I've seen Flutie just WING that ball on more than one occaision (The deep throw thatr he made to Pitts in the game that he came back from elbow surgery comes tro mind- Trent Brown and i still talk about that one- it travelled at least seventy yards through the air Trent was supposeed to covder the deep third on the play and he was certain that there was no way in HELL Flutie could make that throw BEFORE the surgery let alone AFTER..) Flutie had an uncanny knack for anticipating his reciever's break on the ball and he was an absolute biotch to try and tasckle one on one in the field.. His speed was deceptive and he could change direction at will- he had excellent body control.. He was the total package!!

lloyd
06-12-2004, 11:36 PM
Flutie was the Wayne Gretzky of football. To the untrained eye it would appear that this man had average physical tools but that is not the case. I would go so far as to say that he has a stronger arm than any of the qb's the Esks have on their roster right now. I've seen Flutie just WING that ball on more than one occaision (The deep throw thatr he made to Pitts in the game that he came back from elbow surgery comes tro mind- Trent Brown and i still talk about that one- it travelled at least seventy yards through the air Trent was supposeed to covder the deep third on the play and he was certain that there was no way in HELL Flutie could make that throw BEFORE the surgery let alone AFTER..) Flutie had an uncanny knack for anticipating his reciever's break on the ball and he was an absolute biotch to try and tasckle one on one in the field.. His speed was deceptive and he could change direction at will- he had excellent body control.. He was the total package!!

Very well put, coming from a guy who saw him on the field.

Esk Reporter
06-13-2004, 03:57 PM
Well, now you are changing your story though, aren't you? Nowhere previously did you say anything about Flutie being "a physical specimen compared to others that played the game". That isn't what we were talking about at all! We were talking about his "physical skills" because you were disparaging them. Not his physical size. OF COURSE he isn't the same kind of "physical specimen" as other, bigger, QBs. But that is what makes his actual physical skills *more* impressive. Not *less*.

I am not changing my story at all! I responded to a post that mentioned Flutie and Moon in the same breath and I disagreed with it.

Well, of course I never said he was "the fastest guy on the field"; I said his physical skills deserved some respect. The throwing (accurately) while in the midst of a vertical leap was merely one example of that. Another was his truly impressive ability to be running in one direction, and then throw the ball (accurately!) ACROSS his body in the opposite direction, across the entire field. "Down the field" is not the ONLY way to measure the distance a ball travels you know?. Some of those cross-body passes were every bit as long as the "down the field" throws of other QBs. Perhaps you have forgotten some of his performances? :huh:

I never said you did...those were my observations. Ever since Flutie left the CFL his career has begun to take on the characteristics of one of those 'fish stories'. By the time he is 65, stories are going to be told about how he carried big lineman on his back while throwing for TD's against hurricane winds that were blowing at 100 MPH in his face. He then will be credited with inventing the internet, much to the chagrin of Al Gore. It is the exagerrations that I find the most annoying.

GridironHeros
06-13-2004, 04:49 PM
I am not changing my story at all! I responded to a post that mentioned Flutie and Moon in the same breath and I disagreed with it.

Hey, don't get testy, Esk Reporter! :cool: Here's what you said:

Then when i pointed out the man's physical skills deserved more credit than that, here's what you said:

Doug Flutie was a great quarterback and even he will tell you that he was not a physical specimen compared to others that played the game.

Since at no time were we talking about Flutie as a great "physical specimen" (even his most ardent supporters cannot make him bigger than he is :lol: ), yeah- I call that changing your story. Apparently you have a 'different' term for it, and hey, that's OK, too! :cool:

It is the exagerrations that I find the most annoying.

Well, we can agree on something at least. However, if you think ANY of what I said was an exaggeration, I would suggest your anger is better directed toward your memory loss - NOT my comments. They are mere observations of things I have seen him do with my own eyes :thup: . I am certainly not alone. Did you not actually WATCH him play? :doubt: Where exactly is the exaggeration in what I said??? :huh:

What about Jed Roberts' comments above, about a game he and Trent Brown played in against Flutie (one of many)? Is he making up a "fish story" too? I'm not sure what your beef is with "little Doug", but when the facts don't support your position - hey that's not my fault... :azzangel:

Green Blood
06-13-2004, 07:18 PM

Thank you for that.

End o' debate for this cat, I'll take a former CFL players' observations, especially when they concur with mine. :lol:

Esk Reporter
06-13-2004, 11:14 PM
Since at no time were we talking about Flutie as a great "physical specimen" (even his most ardent supporters cannot make him bigger than he is :lol: ), yeah- I call that changing your story. Apparently you have a 'different' term for it, and hey, that's OK, too! :cool:

I do not even know what you are talking about anymore! As I have said three times now...I responded to a post that compared Warren Moon and Doug Flutie in the same breath and I disagreed with it. Then you come along, and jump all over me because of my opinion.

Well, we can agree on something at least. However, if you think ANY of what I said was an exaggeration, I would suggest your anger is better directed toward your memory loss - NOT my comments. They are mere observations of things I have seen him do with my own eyes :thup: . I am certainly not alone. Did you not actually WATCH him play? :doubt: Where exactly is the exaggeration in what I said??? :huh:

Again...I never said that any of YOUR comments were exaggeration. Green Blood made a comparison and I disagreed with it...end of story (except for you perhaps)

What about Jed Roberts' comments above, about a game he and Trent Brown played in against Flutie (one of many)? Is he making up a "fish story" too? I'm not sure what your beef is with "little Doug", but when the facts don't support your position - hey that's not my fault... :azzangel:

I vaguely remember the game that Jed was talking about, but nothing about a 72 yard pass. I have never seen Flutie throw a ball much longer than 55 or 60 yard in the air. As I said before, Flutie was the most dangerous when he threw the mid range pass (20-40 yards). Perhaps the play that Jed remembered 72 yard TD pass (which would include any run by the receiver after catching the ball), because if he could throw the ball 70+ yards in the air, we would have seen him in those QB challenges that CBS used to show every year...

Green Blood
06-14-2004, 01:45 AM
Again...I never said that any of YOUR comments were exaggeration. Green Blood made a comparison and I disagreed with it...end of story (except for you perhaps)

Green Blood did post this, also - to avoid this very argument ...

Moon is the better comparision, for sure.

Agreed, over and done.

Both QB's were elite, and a pleasure to watch.

I'll still take Jed's post, as the most accurate.

GridironHeros
06-14-2004, 06:08 AM
[quote:1fe8480410="Jedrock43"]Flutie was the Wayne Gretzky of football. To the untrained eye it would appear that this man had average physical tools but that is not the case. I would go so far as to say that he has a stronger arm than any of the qb's the Esks have on their roster right now. I've seen Flutie just WING that ball on more than one occaision (The deep throw thatr he made to Pitts in the game that he came back from elbow surgery comes tro mind- Trent Brown and i still talk about that one- it travelled at least seventy yards through the air Trent was supposeed to covder the deep third on the play and he was certain that there was no way in HELL Flutie could make that throw BEFORE the surgery let alone AFTER..) Flutie had an uncanny knack for anticipating his reciever's break on the ball and he was an absolute biotch to try and tasckle one on one in the field.. His speed was deceptive and he could change direction at will- he had excellent body control.. He was the total package!!

End o' debate for this cat, I'll take a former CFL players' observations, especially when they concur with mine. :lol:[/quote:1fe8480410]

Amen to that, Green Blood! For what it's worth, I too consider the debate closed.

@Esk Reporter: sorry if it seemed I "jumped all over you". That really wasn't my intention. :Peace!:

Esk Reporter
06-14-2004, 09:37 AM
No problem...it was just a 'spirited' discussion between two passionate CFL fans. Now...lets get on with the season!! :Flip_ani: :Flip_ani:

Jedrock43
06-14-2004, 02:16 PM
[quote]

I do not even know what you are talking about anymore! As I have said three times now...I responded to a post that compared Warren Moon and Doug Flutie in the same breath and I disagreed with it. Then you come along, and jump all over me because of my opinion.

I vaguely remember the game that Jed was talking about, but nothing about a 72 yard pass. I have never seen Flutie throw a ball much longer than 55 or 60 yard in the air. As I said before, Flutie was the most dangerous when he threw the mid range pass (20-40 yards). Perhaps the play that Jed remembered 72 yard TD pass (which would include any run by the receiver after catching the ball), because if he could throw the ball 70+ yards in the air, we would have seen him in those QB challenges that CBS used to show every year...[/quote:552c60a933]

He was just in the one from prior to last year's season and he and Jeff Garcia pretty much cleaned up the compettion.

Esk Reporter
06-14-2004, 03:30 PM
I wish I would have saw that!! How far did he throw the ball in the longest throw competition? Who were the other guys that he was competing with? I am surprised that no one ever commented on his performance since he still has such a strong following up here in Canada.