PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage

sacker
12-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Writing to ask for some technical help with internet explorer.

1) my main computer and internet work fine
2) I take the internet cord / cable from the back of the computer plug it into my lap top and open up the internet explorer and it work fine.
3) I did the same on a new lap top and get "internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage"

anyone know what is going on and how i can fix it? firewall?

thanks

Numberz
12-31-2008, 12:26 AM
Here's how you fix your Internet Explorer problems:

1. Go to Google
2. Search 'Mozilla Firefox Download'
3. Download Mozilla
4. Never use Internet Explorer ever again

problem solved.

Rayminator
12-31-2008, 01:22 AM
Writing to ask for some technical help with internet explorer.

1) my main computer and internet work fine
2) I take the internet cord / cable from the back of the computer plug it into my lap top and open up the internet explorer and it work fine.
3) I did the same on a new lap top and get "internet Explorer Cannot Display the Webpage"

anyone know what is going on and how i can fix it? firewall?

thanks

My personal suggestions:

1) Did you really plug your NIC cable into the appropriate plug all the way? It's pretty easy to plug it in partway and not realize it. It's a mistake many people have made. You should hear a click after you plug in the network cable. Check the simplest solution 1st.

2) Are your drivers installed correctly? I know you mentioned the laptop is new but sometimes freaky things happen. Check Device Manager (Start>Control Panel>Performance and Maintenance>System>Hardware tab>click on Device Manager) unless you're in classic view in which case it's (Start>Control Panel>System>then same as above) or you're using Vista as your OS....in which case the easiest thing to do is type in "Device Manager" into the little area in the start menu (haven't used it for quite awhile myself so I don't remember the exact technical term for it ;)). Either way, look for the entry of "network adapters" and expand the menu. If it has a ?, X, or ! beside the specific NIC then you've got a problem. If there's nothing then you're ok for drivers.

3) You may have a software firewall already installed that has security settings set too high. Check that out and adjust accordingly.

4) Your PC may have got a bum NIC card right out of the box. It's pretty rare, but it happens. Open a command prompt window and type in "ping 127.0.0.1" If you get results back, your hardware is probably ok. If you bought an "OEM" PC (ie one made by Dell, HP, Acer, etc.) run the diagnostics program for your card as well. If they come back bad, you may have that bad card in it, in which case you'll need to call the company tech support and get a replacement.

5) Try surfing to a different website. It might be just the site you have your homepage set to. If you get the same results on a different webpage, you can rule that out.

6) Try rebooting into "Safe Mode with Networking" and see if it works there. If it works there, sorry bro but you'll probably end up reinstalling windows. Sometimes Windows just doesn't work; comes with the territory of having a firm grip on 90% of the residential OS market.

Rayminator
12-31-2008, 01:25 AM
Here's how you fix your Internet Explorer problems:

1. Go to Google
2. Search 'Mozilla Firefox Download'
3. Download Mozilla
4. Never use Internet Explorer ever again

problem solved.

Good suggestion but the only problem with Firefox I've found is that it doesn't always work with all HTML codes so some websites have reduced functionality using Firefox. I personally use both IE and Firefox, using Firefox on probably about 90% + of my internet usage. Can't throw out IE completely though, IMO, just for that handful of websites that don't work on Firefox.

Despite how badly we'd like to. ;)

mullet
12-31-2008, 08:19 AM
maybe it isn't getting an ip address try going into dos then

ipconfig /release

it will release the existing address if there is one then go

ipconfig /renew

Should come up with a new ip then exit you should be cool.

Party Time
12-31-2008, 08:49 AM
Good suggestion but the only problem with Firefox I've found is that it doesn't always work with all HTML codes so some websites have reduced functionality using Firefox. I personally use both IE and Firefox, using Firefox on probably about 90% + of my internet usage. Can't throw out IE completely though, IMO, just for that handful of websites that don't work on Firefox.

Despite how badly we'd like to. ;)

I think it was glenvb who suggested on here to get an add-on called "IE tab" for firefox. I have it and has worked pretty well for most cases where I supposedly needed IE.

sacker
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I managed to solve the problem. Not sure why or how. I unplugged the cord from my laptop and unplugged the power cord to the modem and waited 10 secs. Reconnected. Voila it worked. Dont ask me how. I am not as smart as an Eskimos Offensive Coordinator.

Rayminator
12-31-2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I managed to solve the problem. Not sure why or how. I unplugged the cord from my laptop and unplugged the power cord to the modem and waited 10 secs. Reconnected. Voila it worked. Dont ask me how. I am not as smart as an Eskimos Offensive Coordinator.

Sometimes freaky stuff happens. It's the nature of computers. :)