PDA

View Full Version : Cumby chance

Esks4ever
07-15-2004, 06:43 AM
Cumby chance

GERRY PRINCE, EDMONTON SUN

Growing up in Texas, Quentus Cumby is used to the wide-open spaces. Good thing the 24-year-old Edmonton Eskimos defensive back isn't claustrophobic.

Cumby was added to the Esks practice roster yesterday and now finds himself sharing a locker with injured offensive lineman Rhett McLane.

But you won't hear him complaining.

After being released by the Green Bay Packers last August and sitting out the entire 2003 football season, the University of Kentucky product is happy to be anywhere.

Doubly so when Cumby thinks how close he came to breaking his right ankle on Day 3 of training camp.

"I'm thankful that I'm here and I've got an opportunity to get to play," smiled Cumby, who is all but over the severe sprain he suffered while defending the now-departed Kory Bailey at Foote Field back on May 26.

"They didn't have to keep me here. So, I'm thankful."

At the time of the injury the coaching staff rated Cumby ahead of rookie Steven Marsh.

With Quincy Coleman out of the training camp mix and the versatile Harold Nash Jr. having arthroscopic surgery, Marsh became the Esks' starting free safety.

Were it not for the injury, Cumby could have just as easily been in Marsh's shoes to start the year.

Instead Cumby now spends his spare time studying the Esks' defence in an effort to play his way on to the the 40-man roster.

"He would have probably had an opportunity to be on the field by now, but that's the way things go sometimes," opined defensive co-ordinator Greg Marshall.

"He can't worry about what happened in the past. He's just got to look ahead and try to get that ankle back to 100 per cent and get comfortable with what we're asking him to do."

GRANT'S CLONE

Physically, Cumby is cut from the same cloth as Esks outside linebacker Robert Grant.

That makes the six-foot-one, 216-pounder an ideal candidate for the secondary or linebacking corps should the opportunity arise.

And all indications are Cumby should get a shot at some point this season. If not, Cumby would have been sent packing a long time ago.

"Being a big body like he is, he is the guy that's the 'tweener that can be the outside linebacker and that can also cover," said Esks head coach Tom Higgins.

"We're going to give him some practice time as a linebacker and at halfback. Then we'll just play it from there and see where he best fits in."

LINEBACKER TO SAFETY

Cumby's background dovetails almost perfectly with what the Green and Gold coaching staff have in mind for him.

He moved from linebacker to safety during his second year of high school and stuck at the position throughout his collegiate career at Kentucky.

An honour student and two-sport athlete in high school, Cumby started 18 of 42 regular-season games at Kentucky and racked up 155 tackles, 12 pass knockdowns and two picks.

Overlooked in the NFL draft, the hard-hitting defender signed with Green Bay. Cut loose by the Packers, Cumby was steered in Edmonton's direction by Brad Miller, a former member of the Esks coaching staff.

"That was tough, I know I had a lot more to offer than what they allowed me to show," Cumby said of his stint with the Packers. "It was a blessing Edmonton even got a hold of me. It just came out of nowhere.

"Some guys in Green Bay had some good things to say about me and one thing led to another. It's a blessing. It's not always good dealing with this ankle every day, but I'm still here."

The only thing worse than the drudgery of a two-hour practice session is being injured and watching it from the sidelines, which is what Cumby had been doing until yesterday.

"The ankle is coming around but I've got a long way to go to get to where I was before I got hurt," he explained. "My strength and my explosiveness are sort of lacking. And you can only get that back through taking reps (in practice) and working out every day."

Beerfish
07-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I saw him get hurt at foote field that day, I thought his ankle was broken for sure. Although I couildn't tell one way or the other how he looked compared to the other db's in camp I did take note that he was bigger than most of the others and looked like good 'shooter' linebacker material. (I have dubbed the smaller quicker style linebackers to be shooter linebackers. Thus guys like Grant and Mobely I'd call shooter linebackers and Gass and Powell would be regular linebackers.)

Diesel
07-15-2004, 09:31 AM
I've never heard of this guy... :eek:

Look forward to good things from him though.. sounds pretty good.

"it's CUMBY damnit, CUMBY!" :D

Esks4ever
07-15-2004, 09:33 AM
"it's CUMBY damnit, CUMBY!" :D

:lol: :lol: