PDA

View Full Version : AHL to Edmonton

Sandy - Edmonton
07-23-2004, 09:40 PM
The Toronto Roadrunners are moving to Edmonton.

Might not be a permanent move to Edmonton, but who knows.

I'll probably check into a few games, especially since the average ticket will be $20.

Will add pressure to guys like Schremph, Woywitka, Lynch, Delausiers, etc.

Also mentioned that if there's no lockout, the Oilers plan to have some double headers with this AHL franchise.

This league also will feature shoot-outs.

:thup:

Touchdown Vaughn
07-23-2004, 10:34 PM
No one will watch the Roadrunners. Edmonton likes NHL, and that's it.

Muley69
07-23-2004, 10:50 PM
No one will watch the Roadrunners. Edmonton likes NHL, and that's it.

I much prefer junior hockey to the NHL. These kids are working hard EVERY SHIFT to make it to the big leagues...and don't (usually) have the huge contracts and the huge ego's to go with most NHLers.

And the talent is nearly indistinguishable.

You are missing out if you don't catch junior hockey.

Sandy - Edmonton
07-24-2004, 12:02 AM
This city seems really excited - if call in shows are any indications.

I think the AHL will be a success in Edmonton.

Opus
07-24-2004, 01:57 AM
my guess is that this is the answer to their inability to buy a CHL franchise

Evil Dr. Len
07-24-2004, 08:27 AM
AHL... = Boring .... *YAWN*

I know I won't even go to 1 game.

while the Oilers are on lock out, a lot of curious fans will check out a game...$20 bucks is cheaper than the Esks, and will notice the game is a lot better than the Ice games from a few years ago - - throw in the name recognition of some players and some borderline fans may be won over.

I'm not saying the Runners will ever sell out the Coliseum but will definitely garner some interest.

And unlike the NHL, the AHL has the b*lls to tinker with the rules a bit to try to make the game more excited...and since most of these players want to become spoiled millionares like Nedved, they have to play their hearts out every night.

Diesel
07-24-2004, 08:42 AM
I think the RR's will do quite well. I found myself watching them on sportsnet last year more than a few times and having the farm team right here will give the fans a whole new level of interest when it comes to player development etc... Plus all the people who complain about ticket prices have nothing to complain about now.

Evil Dr. Len
07-24-2004, 08:48 AM
Speaking of being spoiled... go talk to Kobe Bryant.

7 YEARS - 136 MILLION DOLLARS!

that should cover the trial costs...innocence doesn't come cheap ;)

Evil Dr. Len
07-24-2004, 09:02 AM
The General Manager of the Roadrunners, Scott Howson, says hockey fans in Western Canada are in for a treat when it comes to the calibre of play in the AHL. Howson, who is also Assistant General Manager of the Edmonton Oilers notes, “The level of play will surprise fans, as it is hockey played at the highest level outside the NHL. In addition to the calibre of play, there are the added bonuses of exciting differences to the game, including shootouts to determine winners, no-touch icing and variations on offside calls.”

---------------

a few reasons to look forward to the Roadrunners

Esks4ever
07-24-2004, 10:44 AM
I am not a huge hockey fan.. but I will check out some games of the RR...

Andrew
07-24-2004, 10:49 AM
I think it will do well, I'm going to go to some games for sure. The hockeys still good and I like some of the rule changes. As Diesel said people will also be interested in player development.

Muley69
07-24-2004, 11:14 AM
AHL... = Boring .... *YAWN*

I know I won't even go to 1 game.

Wow. You sound like an NFL "fan"...

Have you ever even GONE to an AHL game? How about an AJHL game? U of A game...????

Muley69
07-24-2004, 04:14 PM
Jesus H. Christ you have some sort of attitude! First with E.R., Angelus, and now this.

The typical NFL fan says "CFL = Boring.....*YAWN*" when we know that's not the case. You were associating your perceived level of entertainment to the AHL in the exact same manner.

Esks996
07-26-2004, 12:31 PM
WHL will be a much, much, much better league.

Totally disagree!

Sounds like you will be the only one not out the RR's CK. I'll definetly go!

Esks996
07-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Edmonton should have really tried/pursued to get a WHL team.

They did try!! To no success.

Esks996
07-26-2004, 01:05 PM
They didn't try hard enough.. they weren't even serious about getting a WHL team... that's why we didn't get one.

Did you not see/hear the amount they were offering for a team!!

Diesel
07-26-2004, 10:13 PM
5 Mil

Party Time
07-27-2004, 02:19 PM
i believe that the WHL doesn't want to expand and none of the teams were willing to sell so the Oilers really couldn't do anything about it.

Nanook
08-01-2004, 07:24 PM
I think the team will do well ONLY because there will be no NHL. But I highly doubt Edmonton will ever be able to support both an NHL and AHL team though.

It all comes down to whether or not the RR are competitive out of the gate. If they suck and can't put together a decent win streak, the novelty will quickly wear off.

Personally, all those egotistical insanely overpaid babies in the NHL can be out of work forever for all I care. I'd probably enjoy the AHL more than the NHL anyhow.