PDA

View Full Version : Giambi illness potentially fatal?

Esks4ever
07-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Giambi illness potentially fatal?

7/26/2004

BRISTOL, Connecticut (Ticker) -- The parasite problem that has slowed New York Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi could be more serious than first thought.

The Newark Star Ledger is reporting that Giambi is being tested for a potentially fatal condition sometimes caused by internal parasites and could miss the rest of the season.

The newspaper reported that Giambi, who last played in Friday's 8-7 win over the Boston Red Sox, will return to New York on Tuesday for further tests.

Related Info
Bronx Bombers in Toronto to face Jays

Giambi's trainer, Bob Alejo, told the newspaper that Giambi is being tested for a parasite called entamoeba histolytica, which can be transmitted through water and food and get embedded in the intentistal lining, making it difficult to detect.

"He told me, 'I don't care about hitting .220, I just want to feel better,'", Alejo told Newsday. "He's exhausted, and it's not getting any better."

The 34-year-old Giambi has played in only 70 games this season, batting .221 with 11 homers and 36 RBI.

MEEZY
07-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Yikes...that's nasty! :eek:

I wonder if he got it while vacationing in a foriegn country? It's scary to think that it can happen to any of us at any time... :(

In any case, I hope that it gets treated sometime soon.

Esks4ever
07-26-2004, 03:40 PM
It's scary to think that I could have West Nile Virus from the 1500 mosquitoes that bit me last night. :thup: :lol:

only 1500 ?? Man, you got off easy :D