PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day

Rival
08-08-2004, 12:10 AM
Does anyone know if there are any bus packages in the city for the Labor Day game in Calgary? For about the last 8 years its been harder to find packages due to the higher season ticket base in Calgary. It was awesome when the Esks did their own and they would have atleast 10 buses going down on the Monday morning. Its way better when you sit in a pack of Eski fans as that game tends to get a little rowdy between fans. Does anyone know?

Esks4ever
08-08-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm sure the Esks still run their own dont they ?

I would imagine alot of sports bars will run tours down there... Rays sports bars, shanks maybe, Terry Vaughns....

Esks4ever
08-08-2004, 12:29 AM
BTW Kick ass Av Rival :thup:

Tojo
08-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Actually, the Eskimos stopped selling packages quite a few years ago.
As for the question of whether it 'gets rowdy'...oh yeah. I used to make the trek annually with a large group of buddies...when there used to be an entire section reserved for Eskimo fans there was safety in numbers. You tend to take more abuse when there are small groups scattered throughout the stadium.

The Dude
08-08-2004, 10:55 AM
I think as long as you don't act like an idiot, you'll be fine. If you do you'll probably wind up like that Bombers fan last week in College Corner. :lol:

Phrost
08-08-2004, 10:57 AM
Heh any opposing fan in College corner is usually in for a long game.

Esks4ever
08-08-2004, 12:35 PM
Actually, the Eskimos stopped selling packages quite a few years ago.
As for the question of whether it 'gets rowdy'...oh yeah. I used to make the trek annually with a large group of buddies...when there used to be an entire section reserved for Eskimo fans there was safety in numbers. You tend to take more abuse when there are small groups scattered throughout the stadium.

Oh I didn't know they stopped selling their packages, its been a few years since I took the trip down...

Tojo
08-08-2004, 12:43 PM
Oh I didn't know they stopped selling their packages, its been a few years since I took the trip down...

Yeah, the Stamps wanted to sell more tickets to local fans, so they stopped blocking off a section for Edmonton fans to come down. I believe they were actually embarrassed by the strong contingent of Green and Gold die hards in their stadium!
I think it killed the "Labour Day Experience" for a lot of fans including myself...sure it's still fun to go down there, but it's nowhere close to what it used to be.

Esks4ever
08-08-2004, 01:32 PM
Well I'm glad the Esks let them come up here on the following friday so they can witness their team get an ass kicking from the green and gold :thup:

Rival
08-08-2004, 01:46 PM
Ya we used to go years ago and it was a blast but it was because of the big Eskimo section. I can still remember Stanley Blair giving the section the arm pump during warm up. I agree it killed things a bit. Its not as fun going now and sitting in a pack of Stamp fans getting harassed all game. A few years back an Eski fan sitting in our section got hit in the head by a flying beer can. Selling beers in cans...Calgary has no clue.

Opus
08-08-2004, 08:57 PM
drove down 16th ave in Cowtown a few weeks back.......I was stunned, our old pre-labour day drinking hole was gone (the Highlander Hotel).....knocked the whole damn thing down........I coulda cried......

Opus
08-08-2004, 10:02 PM
no......I kept driving........

Sandy - Edmonton
08-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Yeah, horrible move by Stamps for their decision.

I really wanna win on labour day....biggest game next to playoffs.

Last year, I sneaked out of orientation at the University to watch the Esks lose.

What's with the Argos/Cats game going prime time this year?

Esks4ever
08-09-2004, 07:20 AM
What's with the Argos/Cats game going prime time this year?

Simple its East vs East, and of course they will want to showcase the All mighty East. :rolleyes: