PDA

View Full Version : N.Y. Jets Quarterback Update

MEEZY
08-10-2004, 10:08 AM
From the N.Y. Jets website:

Quarterback – You would be hard pressed to find a more accurate professional passer than Chad Pennington. He has been solid throughout the early going, and his leadership is valued even more on such a young team. Brooks Bollinger, a second-year veteran from Wisconsin, has experienced ups and downs with his reps. First-year quarterbacks Chris Finlen and Ricky Ray haven’t seen much action early in camp. Some other veteran passers could become available in the weeks to come.
Edwards: “I just think the good thing about it is Chad is an equal opportunity employer. It really doesn’t matter to Chad who has more catches on the team.”
“Brooks is going to be okay, but he’s got to go through some growing pains. He’s learning how to be a quarterback.”

From this assessment, it sounds as if the Jets are going to look for a veteran or two to put behind Pennington. Also, despite the fans' complaints about Bollinger on message boards, Edwards seems dead-set on his abilities as a solid, second-string QB, and appears to imply that he'll stay on permanently to be groomed as the successor to Pennington. So that leaves Ricky at third-string, and with their commitment to finding a veteran, he may even be released.

Furthermore, Ray's limited reps in practice demonstrates the fact that they aren't even giving him a chance, which irks me to no end. Isn't that was training camp is for? Apparently, Ray has done well with his few chances, so why are they seemingly cutting him out of the picture already? Why did they even bother with him in the first place?

Oh well, maybe I'm jumping the gun a little bit. But it bothers me that he's getting automatically dismissed in this manner, when he could have been up here all season.

Jedrock43
08-10-2004, 10:57 AM
Ray's loss could be our eventual Grey Cup come November... He'd be pretty pissed off if the Jets and the NFL pass him over and he'd no doubt take it out upon opposing CFL defenses..

Esks4ever
08-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Interesting story.... pisses me off he isn't getting a fair shot...

Opus
08-10-2004, 11:17 AM
You bet Jed.......that said they have a game coming up this week and starting QB's rarely see any action in the first pre-season game.......Ricky should see some snaps, I guess we'll find out how he does by this weekend.

Muley69
08-10-2004, 12:14 PM
In the end, Hugh Campbell was right. Stay for a couple more seasons in the CFL...THEN go to the NFL.

MEEZY
08-10-2004, 02:10 PM
In the end, Hugh Campbell was right. Stay for a couple more seasons in the CFL...THEN go to the NFL.

That's what I was saying, too. But I guess Ricky had his own agenda. And he'll have to learn the hard way when he gets here and realizes that he'll be playing second fiddle to Jason Maas for at least the remainder of the year. Of course it's all speculation right now, but it isn't looking like they're taking him very seriously in NY. Which begs the question as to why they spent that signing bonus on him, if he's merely training camp fodder... :confused:

Opus
08-10-2004, 02:20 PM
they have deep pockets....with the release of Quincy Carter in Dallas, perhaps their interest in Ricky may have renewed.....however the likelihood of that happening later into camp when other teams final rosters are filling out makes the chances that much more remote.

Phrost
08-10-2004, 03:21 PM
I thought I read on the Jets site that Ray would be getting a shot this Friday in the Jets preseason game (assuming it was Friday)?

Ive scoured Jets boards and for the most part everyone agrees that Ray has looked better then Bollinger with the limited time he has seen. Its to bad if he doesnt get a fair shot, Id like to see him come back to the Esks but I think if they released him someone would pick him up.

Opus
08-10-2004, 04:04 PM
Standard practice in the NFL usually says that Chad will see very little action if any in the first pre-season game......look for Bollinger to possibly get roughly half the game with RR & Finlen to split the rest.....

Party Time
08-10-2004, 04:14 PM
This is another thing i don't lke about the NFL...the politics. Take the Doug Flutie situation in Buffalo. He was clearly the better QB but they kept playing Johnson because they paid him more. STUPID. Now (i hope i'm wrong) its gonna happen to RR.

Esks4ever
08-10-2004, 04:37 PM
Very distrubing Avy E4E... :lol:

Ya like ? :D

Opus
08-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Very distrubing Avy E4E... :lol:off topic, but yes it is....I think he's going for shock value these days... I think it's the offspring of Barney the Dinosaur & Ron Jeremy

The Dude
08-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Ray = Edmonton?

It's a very good possibility.

Cripes, I hope not. Can you say "quarterback controversy?" :eek:

Opus
08-10-2004, 04:46 PM
I'd rather have the controversy than not having a capable backup.

Esks4ever
08-10-2004, 05:28 PM
off topic, but yes it is....I think he's going for shock value these days... I think it's the offspring of Barney the Dinosaur & Ron Jeremy

could be but theres no Ron Jeremy like hair on him :)

Muley69
08-11-2004, 07:48 AM
This is another thing i don't lke about the NFL...the politics. Take the Doug Flutie situation in Buffalo. He was clearly the better QB but they kept playing Johnson because they paid him more. STUPID. Now (i hope i'm wrong) its gonna happen to RR.

Same thing happens in the CFL. See mobes comments re: Nash starting over Coleman.

Beerfish
08-11-2004, 03:08 PM
I get the feeling that the scouts and personell guys don't talk to the coaches or something in the NFL because the scouts will praise a guy and think he's great but once camp starts the player is out of their hands and get ignored or screwed over by the coach. Look at what happened to Giz in Philadelphia. Talk about being missued. Having Buddy Ryan as coach must have been torturous.

Hopefully Ricky can at least get a chance to play in the exhibiton season and get more 2nd team reps in camp. Bollonger stinks by what I have seen on the Jets forums. With the proper breaks I honestly think that Ray could be the next Warner or Brady.

Party Time
08-11-2004, 04:01 PM
Same thing happens in the CFL. See mobes comments re: Nash starting over Coleman.
yah but will that continue for the rest of the season? and might it cost us a playoff shot?

Opus
08-11-2004, 10:56 PM
they're not going to sit Q for the whole season........this is ridiculous as it is though

Opus
08-14-2004, 01:33 AM
this release from theGangreen.com site...

Problems? Well, the Jets definitely need to sign a veteran backup quarterback. Both Brooks Bollinger and Ricky Ray disappointed. Bollinger lost two fumbles and got sacked at least three times. He was just 6 out of 11 for 85 yards. Brooks injured his knee in the 3rd quarter and his status is unknown at this time. Ricky Ray has absolutely no arm. Late in the 4th quarter he threw an interception that sealed the game for the Saints, and was just 6 out of 16 for 55 yards for the entire game. It's quite obvious that the Jets can't enter regular season having these two incapable players as the only backups to Chad Pennington.

They really trash both Brooks & Ricky......good news from this is Bollinger may not play next week and RR should get more reps and playing time.......good luck Ricky!

Diesel
08-14-2004, 11:21 AM
Dwayne, get RR's locker stall spiffy'd up ok?

Esks4ever
08-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Dwayne, get RR's locker stall spiffy'd up ok?

With a nice envelope with a long tern contract inside too :)

MEEZY
08-14-2004, 12:27 PM
As I said in another thread, I don't think that the Jets will give up on him that easily. If Bollinger is in fact seriously injured, Ray may be kept, regardless of whether or not they sign a veteran. Bollinger has the disadvantage of being given the chance before, whereas Ray hasn't. Besides, the Jets' management will look pretty stupid to sign him to that big bonus and then let him go. My guess is that he'll stay as third string.

Opus
08-15-2004, 01:06 AM
Herm seems to think that Brooks is a fine #2.......RR will need to make a strong impression in the next week or two to change his mind

Phrost
08-19-2004, 06:03 AM
Man oh man, I just read that thread on ganggreen and have to say those people are a joke. Being in Canada all of us have the opportunity to watch the NFL every sunday on a regular basis....but the same cant be said for fans in the States. I dont even know how any of them can argue points about the CFL when they probably havent even watched more then 10 minutes of it. Besides that no one defending the CFL said that our players were better, just that the game was faster and better to watch.

Of course most of the Americans (not all as I know there are some on this board) though wont even think about giving the CFL a chance and personally I think its a shame. Most of them are to busy with the mindset, "If they dont have the best athletes, its not worth watching".

Its strange how the US and Canada are, they like slow sports like baseball, basketball, and the NFL while the majority of us Canadians are die hard hockey and CFL fans which are arguably two of the faster games played.

Whether Ray gets cut from the Jets or not I hope he does have a good career in the NFL just to prove that there are more then capable players in the CFL that can compete for jobs down there. It will be interesting to see if Printers is the next big thing to come out of the CFL.

Angelus
08-19-2004, 10:48 AM
Its strange how the US and Canada are, they like slow sports like baseball, basketball, and the NFL while the majority of us Canadians are die hard hockey and CFL fans which are arguably two of the faster games played.

Nascar is one of the world's most popular sports...

Blows your theory out of the water. ;)

Opus
08-19-2004, 11:35 AM
I dunno Phil, I like Nascar too, but I could fall asleep on the couch as easily watching that as I could watching golf, baseball, or soccer......

Angelus
08-19-2004, 11:37 AM
I dunno Phil, I like Nascar too, but I could fall asleep on the couch as easily watching that as I could watching golf, baseball, or soccer......

Well yeah...but he said Americans like slow sports. I haven't seen Nascar in a while, but it's not exactly slow is it? ;)

Opus
08-19-2004, 11:42 AM
well, technically.....no....those cars are fast..... :D

Esks4ever
08-19-2004, 12:07 PM
The cars are fast - but to watch it, I find extremely boring....

Touchdown Vaughn
08-19-2004, 12:48 PM
Americans seem to like sports where teams take turns. In baseball, hoops, and football, one team is clearly on offence, the other on D. In hockey, the puck changes possession every two seconds so they can't wrap their heads around it.

As for Americans not watching the CFL, well, how many of us follow the Swedish Elite Hockey League?

Diesel
08-19-2004, 01:43 PM
If they played it next door we probably would.

Your Dad
08-19-2004, 01:55 PM
I don't think the speed of a sport or taking turns or nationality means anything.

Canadians like hockey, but they also like curling. Muff said.
Americans like basketball, but they also like baseball.

As for NASCAR, it's about as much as a sport as me trying to fart louder than you.

Opus
08-19-2004, 04:47 PM
Just caught your posts over there Diesel......god job of explaining a few of the subtle nuances to them.......unfortunatly it is kind of like trying to tell your dog how to cook a roast.

Angelus
08-19-2004, 07:23 PM
Just caught your posts over there Diesel......god job of explaining a few of the subtle nuances to them.......unfortunatly it is kind of like trying to tell your dog how to cook a roast.

*sigh*

Once again I will ask.

Link please?

:)

Phrost
08-19-2004, 10:52 PM
Nascar is one of the world's most popular sports...

Blows your theory out of the water. ;)

Nascar is popular? :lol:

I cant honestly say Ive ever even watched it a day in my life. Sure fast cars are cool but how anyone can enjoy watching a car travel in circles is beyond me. :confused:

Am I the only one here that would love to see the NFL Played with CFL rules/field? I like watching the NFL but at times it seems like it can drag on.

Opus
08-20-2004, 12:25 AM
*sigh*

Once again I will ask.

Link please?

:)http://forums.theganggreen.com/index.php?showtopic=23348

Diesel
08-20-2004, 07:38 AM
I cant honestly say Ive ever even watched it a day in my life. Sure fast cars are cool but how anyone can enjoy watching a car travel in circles is beyond me.

Put 43 cars on the same track travelling at 180mph and they all want the same piece of track, or better yet wind your car up on the freeways as fast as it possibly can, get right up on the bumper of a car in front of you, have one pull in beside and behind you, now all turn left. Get back to me when you're done cleaning your shorts.

Opus
08-20-2004, 10:21 AM
my car doesn't have a restrictor plate......can I still try this? :D

Your Dad
08-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Put 43 cars on the same track travelling at 180mph and they all want the same piece of track, or better yet wind your car up on the freeways as fast as it possibly can, get right up on the bumper of a car in front of you, have one pull in beside and behind you, now all turn left. Get back to me when you're done cleaning your shorts.

Probably fun to do once you know how to do it, but to watch? I'd rather watch Stamps TV.

Phrost
08-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Probably fun to do once you know how to do it, but to watch? I'd rather watch Stamps TV.

:eek: Now that might be taking it to far

Opus
08-21-2004, 11:07 PM
Ricky's stats vs. the Colts...............7/8, 58 yds, 0 TD's, 1 Int