PDA

View Full Version : Computer Virus Help...

boydo
04-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Hey everyone, somehow wound up with a virus on my computer. It's a "Security Tool" one that keeps trying to get me to go to some site and download some virus breaker because my computer apparently has tons of viruses etc. I've looked online and I know it's a virus...but I can't get rid of the danged thing. Aside from wiping everything out and loading up Windows 7...which I was going to do eventually anyways...does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried running in Safe Mode and doing a virus scan but it doesn't show up. I can't even access the internet to download a patch or anything...if it's not in safe mode...you can't do anything.
There are pictures and music and some other files on there I'd hate to lose...and even the Geek Squad couldn't guarantee me that they'd be able to recover it with this crap on there...
Help???

Numberz
04-19-2010, 04:46 PM
save any files you wanna keep on an external hard drive....put Windows 7 on, and keep back-ups so you can format at will.

pizmo
04-19-2010, 04:54 PM
save any files you wanna keep on an external hard drive....put Windows 7 on, and keep back-ups so you can format at will.

Or burn what you want to keep and then ^

boydo
04-19-2010, 05:05 PM
see...the problem is...
The only way I can do ANYthing is to run in safe mode. When I'm in safe mode, I can't access the files that I want to save.

Numberz
04-19-2010, 05:10 PM
Only being able to run safe mode will make it really difficult to put an anti-virus on then, unless you actually buy one...which isn't worth it. (unless your files are really valuable, my idea of valuable is movies and music)

...and why can't you access those files in safe mode?

boydo
04-19-2010, 05:20 PM
Only being able to run safe mode will make it really difficult to put an anti-virus on then, unless you actually buy one...which isn't worth it. (unless your files are really valuable, my idea of valuable is movies and music)

...and why can't you access those files in safe mode?

Just music on itunes, which can be thrown back on from the ipod after I've upgraded.
Not sure why I can't access the files. They don't show up in the documents menu at all. Only thing I can think of is maybe it's because of the different user accounts? I don't know. At this point, I just want to upgrade and be done with it. Can't even remember what pictures etc are on it...vacations, most likely stuff that's on Facebook anyways...

Inquiring Mind
04-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Buy a Mac... problem solved!

boydo
04-19-2010, 05:37 PM

While I appreciate the insight...any productive suggestions?

Numberz
04-19-2010, 05:56 PM
How much music files are we talking here? I would hate to lose all mine because I filter through it all and still have about 20 gigs worth, but if you don't have that much and you keep them all in albums, you can just download them all again once you have Windows 7 on.

I'm going to recommend you just format and upgrade to 7....and then after that buy an external hard drive and start stashing your music, movies, and pictures on there.

Esks4ever
04-19-2010, 06:02 PM
I had this one... can't recall what I did to remove it...

Numberz
04-19-2010, 06:47 PM
I had this one... can't recall what I did to remove it...

So did I, I formatted and reloaded Vista (this was before 7 came out). I tried for a long time to fix it and couldn't. My brother works with computers and recommended I just reload Windows.

pizmo
04-19-2010, 06:59 PM
http://www.2-spyware.com/remove-security-tool.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-security-tool

http://www.im-infected.com/rogue/security-tool.html

These links may help. The last link has some good advice. Good luck.

Angelus
04-19-2010, 07:17 PM
My Mom's computer had this and I removed it yesterday. I booted into safe mode and installed a program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it scanned the system, removed security tool and everything works like new. Here is the download link:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

glenvb
04-19-2010, 07:20 PM
My Mom's computer had this and I removed it yesterday. I booted into safe mode and installed a program called Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and it scanned the system, removed security tool and everything works like new.

Our IT people tell us that Malwarebytes is the current hot program for this sort of thing. They highly recommend it.

pizmo
04-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Our IT people tell us that Malwarebytes is the current hot program for this sort of thing. They highly recommend it.

The links I just posted show how to use this program and a lot of workarounds to get it to work.

Esks4ever
04-19-2010, 07:52 PM
So did I, I formatted and reloaded Vista (this was before 7 came out). I tried for a long time to fix it and couldn't. My brother works with computers and recommended I just reload Windows.

dont believe i had to do any of that...

then again i dont remember.. perhaps it was wat killed a computer before we got a new one... I cant remember :p

pizmo
04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
dont believe i had to do any of that...

then again i dont remember.. perhaps it was wat killed a computer before we got a new one... I cant remember :p

Thank you for your useful post(one of many). You're too young to be losing brain cells.

Steve Vale
04-20-2010, 01:03 AM

I'll recommend it highly as well. I schedule scans on a weekly basis on my Windows laptop (along with Avast and a couple others). My Linux (Ubuntu) netbook, on the other hand, behaves itself - and if it doesn't I go into command line mode (ctrl+alt+F3) and kill the process.

boydo
04-20-2010, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone...I'll try it tonight and see if it works. Much obliged.

Traxy
04-20-2010, 08:45 AM
Boot into "safe mode with networking". Then you can access the internet and can download a tool to remove the infection without the damn thing running in the background.

TurfToe
04-20-2010, 09:37 AM
pretty sure I had that virus but I got (as in paid for) F-Secure and it zapped it into oblivion without any problem or hassle.

Rayminator
04-20-2010, 11:40 AM

I think Boydo is looking for a less expensive suggestion....;)

Besides, Macs are far from being problem free. Macs and PCs use the same kind of hardware architecture, and in many cases the exact same hardware. Safari is VERY inferior security features-wise. The only reason it doesn't have a bad reputation is because Apple doesn't have enough of the computer market share yet to make it worth anyone's while to write malware for it.

But it's an armageddon waiting to happen.

Steve Vale
04-20-2010, 12:01 PM
I think Boydo is looking for a less expensive suggestion....;)

Besides, Macs are far from being problem free. Macs and PCs use the same kind of hardware architecture, and in many cases the exact same hardware. Safari is VERY inferior security features-wise. The only reason it doesn't have a bad reputation is because Apple doesn't have enough of the computer market share yet to make it worth anyone's while to write malware for it.

But it's an armageddon waiting to happen.

...via the iPhone?

Rayminator
04-20-2010, 02:25 PM
...via the iPhone?

Touché.....;)

boydo
04-21-2010, 08:43 AM
Rep for everyone! The malwarebytes thing worked and the computer is back up and running.
And now it's protected better too!
Thanks to everyone except Inquiring Mind...no rep for you... :)

Inquiring Mind
04-21-2010, 06:53 PM
Rep for everyone! The malwarebytes thing worked and the computer is back up and running.
And now it's protected better too!
Thanks to everyone except Inquiring Mind...no rep for you... :)

Pfft... my solution would not just solve your current problem, but multitudes of future ones.... alas, you can only lead a horse to water :p

TurfToe
04-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Pfft... my solution would not just solve your current problem, but multitudes of future ones.... alas, you can only lead a horse to water, you can't make him Mac-sturbate! :p

fixed!
;)

pizmo
12-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Test