PDA

View Full Version : Ray Shafted : Jets Sign Q. Carter

Esks4ever
08-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Jets take chance on Carter

With the Jets, he will back up Chad Pennington, giving the team an experienced second-stringer.

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) -- Quarterback Quincy Carter signed with the New York Jets on Tuesday, three weeks after his surprise release by Dallas.

Carter, who started every game for the Cowboys last season, was released Aug. 4, before the team's first exhibition game. Reports said he failed a drug test and the NFL Players Association has filed a request for arbitration in the case.

With the Jets, he will back up Chad Pennington, giving the team an experienced second-stringer. Neither of the other two quarterbacks on the team's roster, second-year-man Brooks Bollinger or former Edmonton Eskimo Ricky Ray, has ever taken an NFL snap.

Ironically, Carter was succeeded as the Cowboys' quarterback by 40-year-old Vinny Testaverde, released this spring by the Jets after starting 57 games in six seasons with them.

Carter, a second-round draft choice by the Cowboys in 2001, started all 31 games in which he played for Dallas, including 17 last season -- 16 in the regular season and one in the playoffs. In his career, he has 507 completions in 902 attempts for 5,839 yards with 29 touchdowns and 36 interceptions.

Known for his mobility, he has also has run 140 times for 498 yards

Angelus
08-24-2004, 10:44 AM
This should mean Ray will be released shortly...

Chucker44
08-24-2004, 10:49 AM
Not shocking but I'm still surprised. :confused:

I would have liked to have seen one of RR's performances.

Phrost
08-24-2004, 10:50 AM
Only a matter of time. To bad for Ray especially considering they didnt even give him a solid chance to do anything in the preseason. Think we will we be seeing him back in Eskimo silks?

Opus
08-24-2004, 10:51 AM
Come home Ricky, it's okay bud...they don't deserve ya!

Hey, Hugh.......get the chequebook out would ya?

Chucker44
08-24-2004, 10:52 AM
Would RR come and play second string again?

Chucker44
08-24-2004, 10:54 AM
Won't the Jets have to keep RR until Bollinger's status for the season is clear? Or his he OK?

Angelus
08-24-2004, 10:57 AM
Would RR come and play second string again?

He wouldn't have a choice. He'd be Esks property.

But I imagine the Esks would lock him in long-term and attempt to trade Jason...

Beerfish
08-24-2004, 11:19 AM
I don't think RR will be back any time soon. Carter may still be facing a league suspension, he has not been in camp at all and needs time to learn the system. Also there are at least as many people thinking that Bollinger will get cut as there are that think Ray will. I'd love to see him back but I don't think it will be soon.

Chucker44
08-24-2004, 11:20 AM
RR has proven to be a winner, albeit in the CFL.

Bollinger has proven nothing. And he's injured. Can they even cut him now?

Opus
08-24-2004, 12:05 PM
talk is that Bollinger has some in's as far as the player personell guys go.....he's also been in their system a little longer (which means they already have an investment in him) I doubt they'll keep Ricky now as 3rd string, what's the point for him as 4th....

GREYx14
08-24-2004, 12:09 PM
(RR + BB)-1=#3

Shafted? I think not. Apparently the Jets aren't sold on Ricky. Carter comes with a lot of baggage and uncertainty so this shows how desperate the NYJ are for what they see as a serviceable #2 QB.

Opus
08-24-2004, 12:34 PM
they obviously don't think that RR or BB is capable to hold down #2 duties.....which beggs the question of why they brought him there in the first place? If one of those other teams that we have thrown out as other destinations (Arizona, Dallas, or Miami) were really in the same boat why didn't they keep or persue Quincy themselves? I am more sure now that Ricky will be back here in the next few weeks...very good news bad news in that regard.....the worst scenario now is if they actually keep him and he wastes away the next couple of years and never sees the field but on TV.......

Chucker44
08-24-2004, 01:04 PM
Word is that Don Mathews is sending the collection plate around the league to help the Jets keep RR on the roster. They don't want to see that boy released.

Muley69
08-24-2004, 02:02 PM
Quincy Carter as a second stringer? Seems like a waste of cap money, does it not?

Sandy - Edmonton
08-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Ricky Ray will likely be cut in NY.

A pretty good performance though on national tv in the States. He'll be picked up elsewhere...

Oiler
08-24-2004, 02:42 PM
If RR is released he will seek work elsewhere in the NFL for sure. Perhaps after 2 years, he will consider coming back. If he gets advice from DD then maybe he will be back this year instead.

Esks4ever
08-24-2004, 04:13 PM
As much as I would love to see him back in Edmonton, I get a feeling he'll land with Arizona, or Dallas.

Esks4ever
08-24-2004, 04:15 PM
He wouldn't have a choice. He'd be Esks property.

But I imagine the Esks would lock him in long-term and attempt to trade Jason...

Do You think there would be a huge public outcry if the Esks didn't lock him up, and keep Maas over him ?

In my dreamworld I'd love us to keep both Maas and Ray ( should he ever be back)

Opus
08-24-2004, 04:42 PM
Ricky Ray will likely be cut in NY.

A pretty good performance though on national tv in the States. He'll be picked up elsewhere...

As much as I would love to see him back in Edmonton, I get a feeling he'll land with Arizona, or Dallas.

I doubt it very much.....these teams are already committed to the QB's they have in camp. Why would they bother bringing in an unknown when they have their own guys sorting through roster spots...if Arizona was looking for a QB, why wouldn't they have just pursued Carter somewhat? same goes with Dallas, why would they dump Carter in the first place? they certainly didn't have to.
Maybe I'm wrong, I know there are other angles here, like Carters off-field problems and price tag, but in the grand sceme of things I don't know how much better RR would be with either of those teams. He may wind up being a career guy up here, which suits me okay (at least he'll play) if he does it in green & gold.

Esks4ever
08-24-2004, 04:47 PM
anyone think they'll keep Ray ?

Chucker44
08-24-2004, 04:48 PM
Do You think there would be a huge public outcry if the Esks didn't lock him up, and keep Maas over him ?

I would be upset. RR was a joy to watch. His calm cool manner, his quick reads, his overall attitude.

I have to say I am happy with the job Maas is doing. He deserves the chance and is rising to the occasion. However, I think he is injury prone and won't be in the league long. I also think his attitude is hard to take sometimes. Yelling at the o-line, blaming a loss on the CFL schedulers ... all valid but not the mark of a respected leader.

Chucker44
08-24-2004, 04:49 PM
How long is Bollinger out? How bad is his injury? What has he accomplished?

I'll guess they keep Ray.

Opus
08-24-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't want them to keep him now......I wanted him to have a shot at seeing the field, has has no chance of that now. Come back Rick, sign for 2+1 and try again later...

Diesel
08-24-2004, 06:09 PM
Politics will come into play between keeping BB or RR

Opus
08-24-2004, 07:27 PM
RR loses on that end of the stick IMO.......

Angelus
08-24-2004, 08:26 PM
I would be upset. RR was a joy to watch. His calm cool manner, his quick reads, his overall attitude.

I have to say I am happy with the job Maas is doing. He deserves the chance and is rising to the occasion. However, I think he is injury prone and won't be in the league long. I also think his attitude is hard to take sometimes. Yelling at the o-line, blaming a loss on the CFL schedulers ... all valid but not the mark of a respected leader.

I disagree.

He wasn't blaming the loss on the schedule, just voicing his displeasure as many others have.

Jason would be the first one to tell you he didn't play well enough in that game (or any others they've lost).

And how is he injury prone? Provided his back holds up, he should be fine.

Angelus
08-24-2004, 08:28 PM

In my dreamworld I'd love us to keep both Maas and Ray ( should he ever be back)

I don't think they would keep Maas over him. And I hope they wouldn't.

If Jason can't be #1 here, I'd like to see him #1 somewhere else.

MEEZY
08-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Okay, I've read through all of the comments on here, and I have several of my own observations:

1. First of all, I'm not entirely sure that they'll release either Ray or Bollinger. As Diesel mentioned, politics will favour BB, but on the other hand, he is injured right now, and they can easily put him on the injured reserve/practice roster and keep Ray as #3. That's the most likely scenario I imagine happening. You can never have too much depth at QB, so they'll find a way to keep all four, at least as long as possible. No matter what happens, Ray gets buried in the rubble. :(

2. Second of all, I have always maintained that Ray made a foolish decision to sign with NY, and I rest my case now. Some of you may disagree with me and say "oh, look at the money", but in comparison to what he could earn if he had waited, it really isn't that much, especially considering that this isn't exactly the "ideal opportunity" he claimed he was waiting for in the first place. With Carter coming in, and Bollinger already favoured in the system, there's no way in hell he'll even see the daylight behind Chad Pennington.

3. Finally, if he does get released, which I don't see happening, some other NFL team can pick him up as a practice roster QB. As one of you mentioned, he obviously won't be in anyone's plans at this point, but he could always be an emergency QB somewhere. The pathetic part of this is that he'll probably stay mired in the depth chart, whether with the Jets or with another team. The basis for this hypothesis is the very fact that he signed where he didn't have a legitimate chance at #2, despite claiming otherwise. He's obviously so sold on his NFL dream that he'd do anything to stay there in any capacity whatsoever.

I sincerely hope that I'm wrong about all of this. I do hope that he sees the light and realizes that now is not the time for him in the NFL. Unless he's satisfied with treading in the footsteps of Dave Dickenson, his best bet is to establish himself more up here before he gives it another shot. Although another year is now down the drain in terms of productiveness, and NFL scouts will already know he's failed twice, the best thing that he can do at this point is to play a few more years up here and then perhaps try again.

Opus
08-24-2004, 11:58 PM
exactly FF, good post....i'll be givin' you some crack for that darlin'!

On point #1 though, they have another QB below both BB & RR, I think it'll come down to the Jets choice of Ricky or Brooks (I think they both cost more $ than the bottom guy), so even while BB is injured I don't think they need Ricky there right now...if he gets time to play this week, he'll have to light it up if he wants to stay on as a #3...

now that that is said: If you were a GM of another NFL team and you saw that the Jets Qb situation is really no great shakes (to the extent that they bring in QC as their #2 guy, what confidence would you have in picking up what would essencially be the Jets #4 cast-off? The Jets has dicked Ricky big-time, the only way he'll get another shot now is if he gets a chance and plays lights out this week. If not, his marketability down south is shot to hell. The only way he'll get it back is to come back here and win 2 more GC's (sign a 2+1 deal and try again then......

Opus
08-24-2004, 11:59 PM
Sorry A, I have to spread some around first.......

Esks4ever
08-25-2004, 07:27 AM
Excellent post FF, unlike FIshy I didin't have to spread some crack around :) so I gave ya a hit :)

Well it will be a interesting next few weeks in the Ricky Ray Saga....

e-townchamps
08-25-2004, 10:31 AM
hi peeps, my 1st post!
I just wanna say that I think RR will end up with another team in the NFL if the Jets don't keep him. My Jets are foolish not to give him a chance but I'm sure the other NFL or even the Esks will welcome him with open arms

Opus
08-25-2004, 12:03 PM
hi peeps, my 1st post!

welcome to the site.....

Tojo
08-25-2004, 02:23 PM
some other NFL team can pick him up as a practice roster QB.

I think I read somewhere today that the CFL/NFL deal doesn't allow for a CFL player that's gone south to be put on a practice roster...and his rights would revert back to his CFL team if no one picks him up.