PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7... Microsoft Starter/Microsoft Office question...

PDO
11-30-2010, 11:35 PM
So.. on a new laptop.

Had the Microsoft Office "starter" program for all of about 72 hours before I was ready to chuck the laptop into the North Saskatchewan, so I went and found this:

http://www.microsoft.com/student/office/en-ca/default.aspx

Downloaded it, installed it.. and it works great.

Except.

If I want to open any file, I have to go to the start menu, open the program, and then open the file. Otherwise it opens in the "Starter" version.

Anyone have any idea how to fix this? It's annoying...

Steve Vale
11-30-2010, 11:44 PM
Ubuntu: Maverick Dual-Booting Windows and Ubuntu (http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Maverick#Dual-Booting_Windows_and_Ubuntu) :)

budha
12-01-2010, 07:46 AM
I am not sure with Windows 7 as I have not used it before, but it used to be if you right clicked on a file and then pick "open with" it would give you a list of options. Pick the program and then their used to be an option (a box to click) to use this program to open all files of this type. That shuold reset the default program. Then again that was pre windows 7 and it might have changed. I have included a picture of the dialog box from XP

Jibberman
12-01-2010, 09:54 AM
Did you uninstall the "old" office?

PDO
12-02-2010, 03:31 AM
I am not sure with Windows 7 as I have not used it before, but it used to be if you right clicked on a file and then pick "open with" it would give you a list of options. Pick the program and then their used to be an option (a box to click) to use this program to open all files of this type. That shuold reset the default program. Then again that was pre windows 7 and it might have changed. I have included a picture of the dialog box from XP

when I try that... it prompts me that I don't have it. And says I have to download a new version (which my key DOES work for... should I just download it?)

PDO
12-02-2010, 03:32 AM
Did you uninstall the "old" office?

I was going to.. and was scared off when I tried to open a file and it went straight to the "starter" office.

cmbuk
12-02-2010, 03:28 PM
on this subject..

my house has 6 windows, but there isn`t enough light once the evenings draw in, so i decided to get another one put in..

yes,
7 windows was my idea..

sorry..........

:badidea::sigh::foot:

Old Caretaker
12-02-2010, 03:59 PM
on this subject..

my house has 6 windows, but there isn`t enough light once the evenings draw in, so i decided to get another one put in..

yes,
7 windows was my idea.

sorry..........

:badidea::sigh::foot:

Have you been reading the Piz joke book again?

budha
12-02-2010, 06:58 PM
Your starter version might be the trial version of the software, I am not sure what to do with that. I had the disks for office 2003 (if any one has a product key for Office 2007 they would not mind sharing rep to you) so I am not sure. I know that right now when I just click on a file it wants to open up in 2007, but I have never changed the settings (waiting for a key to 2007 then I do not have to). Maybe talk to the store you bought it from they might know. Or even talk to Microsoft.