PDA

View Full Version : HOT NBA SEASON=DEATH OF NHL?

Evil Dr. Len
10-22-2004, 08:22 AM
I don't want to stir the pot I just want to know if other people are getting this knot in their stomach that is telling them maybe hockey as we knew it is over.

I mean, both TSN and Sportsnet have commented on how thrilling the baseball playoffs have been the past couple years and how relatively lacklustre the NHL playoffs have been since about 1994(aside from Cinderalla stories if you like those type of things, which personally I'm sick of teams like Carolina & Anaheim going to the finals one year and missing the playoffs the next)

With all the movement in the NBA...Shaq in Miami, Kobe runs the show in LA, Payton & Pierce together in Boston, the enigma that is the Raptors, LeBron James, the little pot smoker Carmello Anthony, etc, etc...if the NBA were too have a hot start to their season...

as it stands the NHL barely gets past page 4 in American newspapers, once the NFL is over and some free space develops in those newspapers and if the NBA is producing a good product while the NHL is still negiotating by means of not even bothering to speak to one another...

I'm getting angry just freakin typing this...stupid Goodenow :mad:

Opus
10-22-2004, 09:09 AM
the NHL hasn't been a very good product for about 10 years now...the season is excrutiatingly long and the playoffs are no longer about all out toughness and grit, but more about momentum and riding a hot goalie

Joepritch2
10-22-2004, 01:23 PM
I'm sorry to have to say this, but the NHL is toast in the US. This lockout comes at the absolute worst possible time, when ratings were already down, which in turn was the reason for the lockout, because of less TV revenue, because of lower ratings.

Ow. My head hurts.

MEEZY
10-22-2004, 03:25 PM
the NHL hasn't been a very good product for about 10 years now...the season is excrutiatingly long and the playoffs are no longer about all out toughness and grit, but more about momentum and riding a hot goalie

I've noticed that as well, and one thing to add is that IMO, there are too many teams. This makes the league more watered down, diluting the talent pool so that you have a few great players among many mediocre ones. I find myself watching fewer and fewer games each season...

That being said, however, I don't think hockey will die, especially not in Canada. The NHL has too long and too rich a tradition to just totally collapse. Many people will be fed up with the lockout (as I am), but there people who will miss hockey, and will crave it once it returns.

Diesel
10-22-2004, 03:36 PM
I hope hockey as we know it today is over. Watered down, overpaid, under achieving, lacross goalie equipment, neutral zone trapping, defensive snoozefests, no fighting, out of control stickwork and cheapshots.......yeah, it can all die a horrible death.

Esks4ever
10-22-2004, 05:16 PM
I'd like to see Basketball go too :D

what will people watch during the winter.... CURLING>.. ooooo yahh :lol:

Evil Dr. Len
10-25-2004, 07:21 AM
hell! they'd probably "lose" the same amount in the 'States even if the NHL season were running... they get in line behind NASCAR... so... not really dude... maybe not at all really

the above is a quote from 13thman in response to this same topic...

I copy it hear because it's so freakin true it freakin hurts

Beerfish
10-25-2004, 07:06 PM
I agree with some of the others, the NHL hasn't exactly been an attractive product for a number of years. They are too chicken to really make the necessary changes. It also stinks that dumb franchises like Tampa and Carolina can waltz into the cup and the fad fans don't know the meaning of the whole thing.

As for the NBA, it's duller than dull for me. College BB is much more entertaining.