PDA

View Full Version : Losing Respect for NHL players

Evil Dr. Len
11-05-2004, 07:35 AM
i'll start by admitting to the mods that I'm putting this thread here so my Runner preview doesn't lose priority

I've lost all freakin respect for guys like Chris Pronger & Bill Guerin for being so freakin Bob Goodenowish. If you listened solely to their comments following the player rep meetings you'd bloody swear these guys were playing for CFL wages having to take the bus from Edmonton to New York 3 times a week.

Heck, I've even lost respect for Ryan Smyth for his almighty union speech when he was dissing Raffi Torres for agreeing to play for the Baby Oilers therefore still lining the pockets of the Oiler owners.

What the freakin NHL needs is more guys like Torres and the Montreal guy Dagneis who just want to freakin play hockey...not only say they want to play hockey but you know...the union.

F :eek: the union, if you want to play hockey so bad, if you feel so bad for the fans...then play Hockey!!!

Diesel
11-05-2004, 07:38 AM
They've only missed two paychecks. Wait until Jan..........

Beerfish
11-05-2004, 10:43 AM
The hard line guys are the guys that have been making 5-10 million a year. They shouldn't have to worry about a pay cheque for a long time. The problem with the players is that they expect total solidarity and sticking together and yet they think nothing of bumping off some former ahl player or golden bear player trying to play over in europe. From my point of view I'd like nothing better than to hear nothing.....zippppppp no media coverage of this thing at all until there is an emminent agreement. Report on them next October when a deal might get done, as for now I could care less about the NHL labour fight.

Angelus
11-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Keep in mind they're still probably getting pay checks from the NHLPA's war chest. So they get to take time off, play in Europe (who wouldn't want to spend a couple years in Europe) all while still making more than any of us on this forum I'd bet.

Hard to have sympathy for them.

Phrost
11-06-2004, 08:54 AM
You know what Id love to see. With all these NHL guys heading to Europe Id love to see the NHL use replacement players in the form of all these European/Canadian players. There the guys that love to play the game and should be rewarded with it, not those greedy bums like Pronger and Co.

I think they should all take a year off and work a real job with a real wage....see how happy they are to even get 150,000 a year.

MEEZY
11-06-2004, 11:10 AM
Nevermind $150,000...that's too generous.

Somebody should force them to flip burgers or drive taxis for a living.

Sandy - Edmonton
11-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Keep in mind they're still probably getting pay checks from the NHLPA's war chest. So they get to take time off, play in Europe (who wouldn't want to spend a couple years in Europe) all while still making more than any of us on this forum I'd bet.

Hard to have sympathy for them.

I'm not positive, but the war chest was for the Owners.

Players aren't getting paid right now.

Angelus
11-06-2004, 02:42 PM
I'm not positive, but the war chest was for the Owners.

Players aren't getting paid right now.

Both sides have a "war chest". The NHLPA has millions set aside for this exact scenario.

Touchdown Vaughn
11-06-2004, 04:26 PM
I think players shouldn't go over to Europe and take jobs. I also think the union will crack eventually.

But...

The more you educate yourself about the impasse, the more you will blame the owners. Think about it: They say they want a salary cap to counteract the greedy players. That's garbage! A cap only controls the 7 or 8 owners who overspend! So they're bitching at the players about something that they actually want to limit themselves! Nonsense.

Phrost
11-07-2004, 12:32 AM
Bettman has stated before that they want a cap so the low market teams can stay healthy and so he can protect the owners from themselves. Im sure the owners realize that they are the cause of all this because the 7 or 8 of them get to competitive and try to sign big market talent....which obviously hasnt paid off for a lot of them.

I think the only way the players will eventually end up realizing they need a cap is if some of the current NHL teams fold and although its unfortunate to say the Oilers would be one of those teams if the NHL caved in to the NHLPA's wishes.

Im upset with the players right now because they seem more concerned about the money rather then the game. They get paid millions of dollars to play a game only some of us could dream of. They get paid to play for the Stanley Cup....I have to pay to watch. They need to go back to when they were kids and realize that they wanted to play in the NHL because they love the game....not the money