PDA

View Full Version : The Ricky Ray 'what if' thread...

TurfToe
11-09-2004, 02:32 PM
So... with all this talk of Ricky Ray (RR) returning to the CFL next year - which in itself is unlikely as some other NFL team will probably come forward with a better offer - let's play the game of "What If..." as it pertains to places RR could wind up...

1. Edmonton: The Esks certainly would like RR back... or at least Higgins would. Is this really the best case scenario for the team? Would it hamper the ability of the team to replace retiring or ageing vets with up & comers?

What would the fallout of this be though...
Jason Maas leaves Edmonton - where to?
- Hamilton: McManus assumes coach/player duties or flat out retires; Brady on the bubble but stays.
- Toronto: Allen assumes coach/player duties or flat out retires; Bishop on the bubble and would be dealt - likely to a western team... Winnipeg? Calgary?
- Montreal: Don't laugh, Calvillo is getting long in the tooth. The Don would likely prefer to have someone younger (think Ray or Printers) but might want Jason for insurance.
- Winnipeg: maybe... but I don't think so.
- Ottawa: hmmm... could work very well as part of their re-build; someone for Banks to play behind. And what of K. Joseph or D. Kennedy? maybe Montreal.
- BC: not likely.
- Calgary: not likely
- Sask: not likely

But what if RR doesn't end up in Edmonton? Which teams would likely go after him?
- Toronto: the rumours are there; And as close as the Argos have been lately what has been the biggest missing piece? QB. They also have the bankroll to do it (with new owners ... and don't start on the whole cap issue! it's non-existent and the Esks break it as much as anyone else if not more!). And they certainly would like to invest in something positive for their move to a new stadium.
- Hamilton: Everyone was surprised at how the 'Cats turned things around. And I'm sure even Bob Young was pleasantly pleased! One has to wonder if he was pleased enough to open up the coffers. RR starting with Danny M as 'mentor-backup' wouldn't be unrealistic.
- Calgary: Heresy! you cry!! But if the Stamps get their new owners... and with what we've seen of new owners doing good/new things to motivate their teams and fans... then why not? The new Owners could see RR as a message to fans that they are serious. And with Matty as coach RR could do quite well indeed! Ah... but what of Khari Jones? With RR, Jones becomes trade bait to strengthen the team... would that Als be interested? maybe... but the 'Gades would be for sure for the same reasons mentioned in the Jason Maas section above.

And that's it. I really don't see RR going to anyone other than that.

But if you really want to muck up your brain, consider this... Let's say RR stays in the NFL one more year, nothing better comes of it and he comes back for the '06 season. And let's say that BC keeps both DD and Printers, but by the end of next season it becomes obvious that one has to go.

Ah.... 'tis a tangled web we weave!

Peace. TT

Muley69
11-09-2004, 04:05 PM
Ray comes back...funny enough, but i can see him in Hamilton first or Toronto second.

Esks4ever
11-09-2004, 04:58 PM
I dont even wanna think about it...

lloyd
11-09-2004, 06:00 PM
interesting prospects...
heres what i would change...

Hamilton: McManus assumes coach/player duties or flat out retires; Brady on the bubble but stays.

Dont see why Brady would even be on the bubble, hes a solid backup, plus Ray has never had injury problems before.

Toronto: Allen assumes coach/player duties or flat out retires; Bishop on the bubble and would be dealt - likely to a western team... Winnipeg?

Bishop is in the same seat as Brady, dont see why he would be on the bubble, hes worth alot more as a backup than what they could get in return for him. i couldnt see Bishop getting more than a couple 2nd stringers or some draft pics.

Montreal: Don't laugh, Calvillo is getting long in the tooth. The Don would likely prefer to have someone younger (think Ray or Printers) but might want Jason for insurance.

Calvillo is getting old, but I dont see them wanting guys that only want to start because in Montreal, they wont and will turn into an off field distraction. It seems t hey have a solid backup in White, and they should be satisfied with that.

I'll eat my hat if If he doesnt go to, in order of likeliness:
(1) Toronto
(2) Edmonton
(3) Hamilton

Opus
11-09-2004, 06:39 PM
I'll eat my hat if If he doesnt go to, in order of likeliness:
(1) Toronto
(2) Edmonton
(3) Hamiltonyou already owe us a shirt and pants you're supposed to eat......

Touchdown Vaughn
11-09-2004, 10:51 PM
Ray will come back to Edmonton, which will make Hervey sign for a year or two. Maccocia and Ray will work well together; we'll hire a defensive minded head coach and find a decent running back and be a very good team.

Maas winds up in the East.

Diesel
11-10-2004, 08:39 AM
you already owe us a shirt and pants you're supposed to eat......

:lol: :thup:

Joepritch2
11-13-2004, 09:40 PM
you already owe us a shirt and pants you're supposed to eat......

I'd rather he keep them on myself. ;)

Tojo
11-13-2004, 11:24 PM
Especially around the sea lion tank.

lloyd
11-14-2004, 12:43 AM
Ray will come back to Edmonton, which will make Hervey sign for a year or two. Maccocia and Ray will work well together; we'll hire a defensive minded head coach and find a decent running back and be a very good team.

Maas winds up in the East.

the way you say it makes it sounds so easy.

MEEZY
11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
Especially around the sea lion tank.

That might be a difficult endeavor... ;)