PDA

View Full Version : Old MOP or New MOP - Which will the Lions keep?

TurfToe
11-18-2004, 09:18 PM
so will the Lions - regardless of what happens on Sunday - be able to keep both Dickenson and Printers? They'll both want playing time... what do you do?

earl2
11-18-2004, 09:32 PM
Keep Printers, and try to convince Dickenson to hang around for a season until Printers heads south to try for a job there.

MEEZY
11-18-2004, 10:24 PM
I think that they'll try to keep both. They would have to be foolish not to; look at the injury problems that both have had this year. Although Printers has played the vast majority of the time, he's still been suffered a few minor injuries where Dickenson was able to cover for him: most notably, the last part of the West Final.

As Earl said, it's likely that Printers will try for the NFL, so Dickenson should be around for at least 2-3 more years. If Printers makes it, the Lions can bring somebody else in (or keep Wynn) and groom them until Dickenson is ready for retirement. If Printers comes back, he can take over and the Lions have the option of either keeping Dickenson or trading him.

Any way you look at it, the Lions are in a pretty admirable situation...

TurfToe
11-19-2004, 08:33 AM
No doubt keeping both is the prudent move... but will they be ABLE to? Oh sure there's tons of room under the 'cap' but will either be satisfied with the roles he's slated to?

DD will want to play (and should play) and the Lions are paying him some very big $$. He has the experience and the ability. How can you not play him? Printers is now the MOP, how can you not play him?

It can be argued that if Printers is smart, he'll accept his role as a backup to DD. But as a back up Printers won't be able to showcase his talents for those south of the border.

Remember, Ricky Ray took over from Maas and looked pretty darn good. The next season Ray was starter. Stringing together back-to-back seasons (sure the first wasn't a full season, but he did lead the team to the GC) are what got him the attention from the NFL. (And true enough... that's been more of a big waste than anything.)

It will be interesting indeed!

Opus
11-19-2004, 08:43 AM
It is a quandry.....they are both under contract next year....both want (and deserve) to start.....if they trade DD, they may only have CP's services for one more year as it is likely he will use his option to test the NFL waters after the 2005 season....if you keep DD, you can run the risk of alienating CP if he is forced into a back-up role again....the best thing might just be to trade CP (I know that sounds crazy) for some additional talent and hope that if he does return from the NFL that you can sign him then....

Esks4ever
11-19-2004, 11:40 AM
I think they'll keep both... I can't imagine CP has a large contract, so that shouldn't hurt them too much.. and next year i could see them splitting the QB duties..wether or not the Qbs like that is another story...

Diesel
11-19-2004, 11:47 AM
Damon retires and DD goes to TO.

lloyd
11-19-2004, 12:22 PM
This whole thread is much too inviting for this, so im gonna do it again. I would go with the new MOP because we all know that sometimes the cloth on the old MOP get all raggy and dirty and just dont do a sufficient job of cleaning up all the dirt. It all comes down to this, which city is dirtier, Toronto or Vancouver, because clearly the dirtier city needs the newer mop to do a sufficient clean up job.

lloyd
11-19-2004, 12:23 PM

In all seriousness, this looks like the most logical scenerio.

Opus
11-19-2004, 01:45 PM
then what do they do when CP tries his hand in the NFL after next year?......

lloyd
11-19-2004, 04:16 PM
then what do they do when CP tries his hand in the NFL after next year?......

Wait til July when he gets cut and comes back?

Opus
11-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Wait til July when he gets cut and comes back?didn't work that way with RR......I doubt Casey would have worse results.....

MEEZY
11-19-2004, 04:36 PM
It is a quandry.....they are both under contract next year....both want (and deserve) to start.....if they trade DD, they may only have CP's services for one more year as it is likely he will use his option to test the NFL waters after the 2005 season....if you keep DD, you can run the risk of alienating CP if he is forced into a back-up role again....the best thing might just be to trade CP (I know that sounds crazy) for some additional talent and hope that if he does return from the NFL that you can sign him then....

Trading CP definitely would be a mistake. It would the same as if the Esks had traded RR before the start of the 2003 season, and they may not have won the Cup that year. The analogy isn't exact, but Maas and Dickenson have a lot in common, as they are both excellent QBs, but with a history of injury problems. Also, RR being on another team would have hampered our chances in 2003, as he may have led somebody else to the Cup, or at least hurt the Esks by defeating them in the regular season, or by leading another team to first place in the West. The same thing would probably happen to the Lions if they traded Printers.

Both may be unhappy with sharing the starting role, but it worked beautifully this year. It is unlikely that Dickenson will remain healthy for an entire season, so the Lions definitely need another capable QB; not having one last year is what cost them a legitimate chance at the Cup. It is unlikely that Printers will be offended with having Dickenson as the designated starter; he only has one full year under his belt, and is making nowhere near the money that Dickenson is.

So the best solution would be to keep both until the end of next year, and if Casey tries the NFL, Dickenson and Wynn would suffice until he returns. If Printers signs a long term deal or fails in the NFL, then Dickenson would still be a fairly tradeable commodity, as many teams would love a veteran QB to groom their younger talent.

Opus
11-19-2004, 04:44 PM
Trading CP definitely would be a mistake. It would the same as if the Esks had traded RR before the start of the 2003 season, and they may not have won the Cup that year. The analogy isn't exact, but Maas and Dickenson have a lot in common, as they are both excellent QBs, but with a history of injury problems. Also, RR being on another team would have hampered our chances in 2003, as he may have led somebody else to the Cup, or at least hurt the Esks by defeating them in the regular season, or by leading another team to first place in the West. The same thing would probably happen to the Lions if they traded Printers.

Both may be unhappy with sharing the starting role, but it worked beautifully this year. It is unlikely that Dickenson will remain healthy for an entire season, so the Lions definitely need another capable QB; not having one last year is what cost them a legitimate chance at the Cup. It is unlikely that Printers will be offended with having Dickenson as the designated starter; he only has one full year under his belt, and is making nowhere near the money that Dickenson is.

So the best solution would be to keep both until the end of next year, and if Casey tries the NFL, Dickenson and Wynn would suffice until he returns. If Printers signs a long term deal or fails in the NFL, then Dickenson would still be a fairly tradeable commodity, as many teams would love a veteran QB to groom their younger talent.while I know exactly where you're coming from, I don't think it's possible to keep both, certainly not to keep both happy. CP won't be taking a backup role....how can he? He wants to generate as much film as possible before exploring his NFL options and he just won the league MOP......you don't sit the league MOP......would DD be content playing second fiddle for an entire year? I doubt it......not if he is the competitor I think he is......if the Lions win the Cup this year there will be less pressure to win it next year, so you have to think what will be best for the long term.....keeping CP over DD just for a one year shot won't help the Leos long term, but the opposite may.....

lloyd
11-19-2004, 04:51 PM
didn't work that way with RR......I doubt Casey would have worse results.....

One would hope that Casey would learn from Rays experience. Casey knows that hes better off starting in the CFL than PR in the NFL... one would think?

MEEZY
11-19-2004, 05:07 PM
while I know exactly where you're coming from, I don't think it's possible to keep both, certainly not to keep both happy. CP won't be taking a backup role....how can he? He wants to generate as much film as possible before exploring his NFL options and he just won the league MOP......you don't sit the league MOP......would DD be content playing second fiddle for an entire year? I doubt it......not if he is the competitor I think he is......if the Lions win the Cup this year there will be less pressure to win it next year, so you have to think what will be best for the long term.....keeping CP over DD just for a one year shot won't help the Leos long term, but the opposite may.....

In the case that Printers refuses to take a back-up role, I would trade Dickenson. He's older, more injury prone, and probably only has a few good years left. Printers isn't guaranteed to go to the NFL or even to make it, so to me, he seems like more of a safe bet than Dickenson, even considering his NFL potential. Any way you look at it though, it is a difficult dilemma... :confused:

Chucker44
11-19-2004, 05:25 PM
Hughie gets tired of waiting for RR.

Signs Printers ... as a backup to Maas

RR is a late season pickup by TO where, in a horrible backfield mixup, runs into Avery knocking them both out for the season.

Esks4ever
11-19-2004, 05:45 PM

that could very well happen.. but if Ray comes back to the CFL, Toronto will go for him..but It'd be nice if they get DD, and then Ray comes back.. makes our odds of getting him even better ;P