PDA

View Full Version : Artest gets 30 games for basketbrawl fiasco

GREYx14
11-21-2004, 11:49 AM
I've seen a lot of ugly outside-the-game incidents in my 35+ years of watching/playing sports but the one in Detroit Friday night takes the cake. Surprisingly I haven't heard any of the numerous horrified US news and sports commentators compare the Artest/O'Neal/Piston fans situation to the Bertuzzi/Moore incident so far. The NBA is wearing this gigantic black eye all by themselves.

Diesel
11-21-2004, 12:14 PM
The disgusting thing is that this will help that loser sell cd's.

earl2
11-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Ain't it the truth. :sick:

Esks4ever
11-21-2004, 01:56 PM

Thats very true..

Evil Dr. Len
11-21-2004, 02:08 PM
I had the surreal experience of watching this live on TV...yes it's a blackeye on the NBA but those same people that you all say will buy Artest's CD because of this will also start to watch the NBA more because of this...
I'm a casual fan of the NBA and I tell ya, for as much this won't make me watch more NBA, it's not going to hinder me from watching any games.

Sandy - Edmonton
11-21-2004, 07:15 PM
He's gone for the season, if the Ticker at score was right.

Touchdown Vaughn
11-21-2004, 07:44 PM
He is done for the year.

Joepritch2
11-22-2004, 12:40 AM
He's got plenty of time for more music now. He might want to make it his career soon, as he doesn't seem to have much of one left in basketball. Who's gonna want him now?

Sandy - Edmonton
11-22-2004, 12:55 AM
That's a BS suspension. The fan challenged Ron, and Ron did what most people would.

I know I would be doing the same thing.......

Did Carl Kidd get suspended for kicking that drunk Winnipeg fan who hopped on to the field and tackled his teammate? Nope.....same stuff here.

Evil Dr. Len
11-22-2004, 07:05 AM
Artest got what he deserved...end of story

Diesel
11-22-2004, 07:38 AM
It's about time a league handed out some discipline that get's the players attention.

GREYx14
11-22-2004, 11:24 AM
Artest's long history of bad behaviour contributed to the harshness of the suspension. As far as I'm concerned, all the players got what they deserved. Too bad the idiot fans will likely get away with their part in this. A lifetime ban from NBA arenas would be a good place to start...

Chucker44
11-22-2004, 03:27 PM
I think court side celebs like Jack Nicholson attributed to this fiasco. His tirade to players always gets airplay. Its taken as entertainment. People think that it is acceptable when a bonehead like that gets away with taunting the players.

Touchdown Vaughn
11-22-2004, 08:13 PM
That's a BS suspension. The fan challenged Ron, and Ron did what most people would.

I know I would be doing the same thing.......

Well, then, you'd be suspended for the rest of the year.

Great call by the NBA. Players have to be more mature that that even if provoked.

Sandy - Edmonton
11-22-2004, 11:38 PM
Why though? Players are only human. Just because they are players doesn't give the fans the right to throw things at them!

Don't tell me if a fan 5 rows above you threw a full glass of beer at you...that you wouldn't react?

Joepritch2
11-23-2004, 01:20 AM
It's called being a professional. Also, keeping your head about you in times of trouble is also a good thing.

The Kidd thing when the fan hopped on the field? Different story. The fan was on the field on his own volition, he should have gotten nailed. Artest went up and took the fan on in the stands. There's a difference.

Fan throws a beer at me from 5 rows up? Sure, it sucks, but I get paid for more than putting the ball in the basket. I'm paid to be a professional, which goes further than the game itself.

Esks4ever
11-23-2004, 07:10 AM

and he's writing a book too...

Andrew
11-23-2004, 08:35 AM
He's got plenty of time for more music now. He might want to make it his career soon, as he doesn't seem to have much of one left in basketball. Who's gonna want him now?
Alot of teams would take Artest, I know I would. He's an incredible player, best defensive guy in the league and he was averaging 25 points a game. Too bad that fan had to do that, I would have done the same.

Joepritch2
11-23-2004, 11:21 AM
There's such a thing as being such a big distraction, it affects how the team plays. The guy has shown he cares for none other than himself, and will do whatever he feels like when he wants to. He's not a team player.

Diesel
11-23-2004, 03:40 PM
Now Artest is out promoting his cd, using this incident as a vehicle. Is it any wonder why people are losing respect for atheletes today?

Party Time
11-25-2004, 10:31 PM
i think this has been a long time coming. The way the NBA is set up the fans are basically on top of players. If you get courtside seats you can't even stretch your legs wihtou being on the court.

As for this specific incident i think he got what he deserved. i agree with many of the posters, he should have been more professional, security would have taken care of it and that should have been it.