PDA

View Full Version : Keeping up with Ricky

Esks4ever
11-23-2004, 07:07 AM
Keeping up with Ricky

TERRY JONES, EDMONTON SUN

Ricky Ray expects to get cut today. Or tomorrow. Sometime this week. Or next. His brief NFL career as a clipboard carrier is about to come to a conclusion.

Chad Pennington will return from the injured list to be back as starting quarterback with the New York Jets, maybe as soon as Dec. 5. Ray will get cut. He'll be waived through the NFL. Twenty-four hours later he'll return to the Jets practice roster. And at the end of the season the gig will be up and he'll return to the CFL with the Edmonton Eskimos.

That's the most likely scenario.

But there's the potential of plenty of twists and turns in the hours and days ahead before all those Frito Ray fans in Edmonton will find out if they get their Grey Cup quarterback back.

"They said two to four weeks. We just got done with the two,'' said Ray, of when Pennington is expected to return to play.

Pennington definitely won't be back for this Sunday's game against Arizona.

I talked to Ray in New York yesterday before heading home from covering the Grey Cup, the game in which he was the winning quarterback a year ago.

But, what if Quincy Carter, who quarterbacked the last two games, gets injured? Will injuries hit some other NFL team at the position to inspire one of them to claim Ray from waivers and have him on the roster at the end of the season?

If that happens, if Ray ends up on somebody's roster at the end of the year, he'll get another year in the NFL.

NOT LIKELY MOVING

"I'd have 24 hours to pass through waivers. To go to another team is not real likely,'' said the QB, who has twice carried a clipboard but has not thrown a pass.

If he doesn't end up on a roster by the end of the season, the gig is up and he likely comes back to the CFL as a free agent.

"Of all the CFL teams, Edmonton would be my first choice,'' he said. "Edmonton is where I started and where I won the Grey Cup. I know the town.''

That said ...

"Part of being a free agent is having a look around.''

While all is warm and fuzzy with Damon Allen, the Toronto Argos Grey Cup hero at age 41, he's going to be 42 next season and when Dave Dickenson came back from the NFL, he took Allen's job in Vancouver. You'd expect the Argos to look at doing the same to Allen with Ray.

There's the thought that Ray would go anywhere but Edmonton, so as not to take the starting job away from his friend Jason Maas for a second time in his career. And there's also the idea that a coaching change in Edmonton could influence his decision. But Ray says neither of those things would be a factor.

"Jason and I are friends, so that would be tough, but you have to find the best situation for yourself. I have no problem with coaches. I get along with all my coaches. I'm one of those guys who just wants to go out and play. I'd be looking at the right situation where I'd have the best chance for success, of getting to the playoffs and being able to win in the playoffs.''

FOLLOWING THE ESKS

Ray has followed the Eskimos all season, watching many of the games at his Long Island residence.

"They were real up and down. At times they were the team they know they can be and at times they weren't.

"I didn't get home from our game in time to catch any of the Grey Cup. But first thing I did was find out who won. I thought about the Grey Cup a little bit Sunday.''

While there's the temptation to say 'told you so' to Ray, about not choosing the Warren Moon path of playing up here and succeeding up here to the point where they'd make him rich and guarantee him a starting spot to go to the NFL, his window is still open to have something happen.

For a guy like Ray, who doesn't have a great arm, great speed or great anything other than great gobs of football intelligence inside his helmet, if he doesn't get into games, he knows he's headed back to Canada.

"This wasn't what I planned on,'' he admits. "It's been really tough.

"I definitely wanted a chance to come and compete. The team decided they wanted experience for just the situation which happened in the last two weeks.

"It's tough. If I'd just come out of college, I'd probably have been really happy on the practice roster. But after two years of playing as a professional and having success ...''

Ray is down to hours or days from coming to the conclusion he wasted an entire year of his career.

Esks4ever
11-23-2004, 07:09 AM
"Of all the CFL teams, Edmonton would be my first choice,'' he said. "Edmonton is where I started and where I won the Grey Cup. I know the town.''

Wonder how truthful he is. it'd be great to get Ray back, not only to be back in green and gold silks.. but also to keep him out of the enemies hands...

Count down has begun....

Diesel
11-23-2004, 07:49 AM
Not holding my breath, Avery said the same thing.......

Beerfish
11-23-2004, 07:52 AM
I like Ricky and wouldn't mind if he came back but it depends on the price. I wouldn't want to get into a major bidding war for him. Remember we already have one of the best QB's in the league. If RR's price was too high I'd rather sign a quality canadian O-lineman and perhaps a Canadian linebacker or quality running back with the funds. If RR was our QB this year I don't think we'd be toasting our 2nd cup win in a row.

Diesel
11-23-2004, 08:24 AM
Can't let a franchise player like RR go anywhere else.

Opus
11-23-2004, 08:41 AM
Can't let a franchise player like RR go anywhere else.exactly, besides I'm very tired of all the cap abusing garbage we've had to listen to......yet we've never handed out any "marquee" type contracts while other teams around us have. I think we're overdue for signing someone who deserved a large payday......:D

MEEZY
11-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Hmm...that's interesting. I figured that no matter what happened with the Jets, he'd be back in the NFL for at least one more season. I guess he's more frustrated with being on the practice roster than I thought...

Still, I'll reserve my excitement until he actually comes back to Edmonton. Like Hervey, I think that Ray is sending a subtle message to the Eskimos to pay up in the event that he does return. It seems pretty obvious that his first choice is Edmonton, but if he encounters a better deal he'll go elsewhere; that's why Hugh has to make every effort to sign him...

TurfToe
11-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Not holding my breath, Avery said the same thing.......

Of course they say that! They're talking to a reporter about Edmonton! What should they say? "Going to Edmonton would really suck. I'd rather go somewhere that would give me tons of money - whether that's legit or under the table."

Rarely is it that a player will come out and say they don't WANT to go somewhere. Players have to do a lot of PR for themselves. And as such, they walk a fine line between the truth and telling people what they want to hear even if it's not true.

Ask yourself how you would have felt if Avery had said, "Going to Edmonton would be o.k., but I'd rather go to Toronto. I like the bigger city atmosphere, I'm closer to good friends in New York State, and I've got the opportunity to make more money outside of the cap."

It's like he was 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

With respect to Ray, he's playing the diplomat now and saying the right things. But he also said something else very important... the bit about 'having to look out for himself'. That can work in many different ways.

Kaptain
11-23-2004, 08:04 PM
We were the most dangerous team in the league the 2 years RR was guiding us. All I know is that all the Allouette fans were rejoicing like crazy when RR went to the jets. They all said HA HA you guys don't have a chance of repeating with your star QB going south. Looks like they were right. Sometimes you get the most accurate statements out of your most hated competition. I say bring RR back, get a boat load of players for Maas and wish him well in the eastern conference. He'd look good in Toronto beating the crap out of the Als.

Esks4ever
11-23-2004, 08:11 PM
What i trully think , is Ricky Ray will sign in Toronto should he come back to the CFL. IF DD is available they might get him.. but either DD or Ray will be the toronto QB.

The league will make sure of this... now they have won the cup, they need to keep a talent laden team together, regardless of what they pay them.. and of course the league thinks we need a toronto franchise in order to keep the CFL afloat.

I hate to bring up this cap thing.. but you have to look at whats rumored to be the salaries of the toronto players... yet no one mentions them being over the cap.. we go a bit over and everyone jumps down our throat. The league will just sweep torontos case under the carpet.. Toronto will get who they want, and that'll be Ray or DD.

earl2
11-23-2004, 08:43 PM
I still think Ray will be in the states for at least another season. He's young enough to sacrifice another season waiting for an opportunity to play. But IF he comes back to Canada, the Eskimos have got to sign him. There is no other option.

Oiler
11-24-2004, 12:04 AM
What i trully think , is Ricky Ray will sign in Toronto should he come back to the CFL. IF DD is available they might get him.. but either DD or Ray will be the toronto QB.

The league will make sure of this... now they have won the cup, they need to keep a talent laden team together, regardless of what they pay them.. and of course the league thinks we need a toronto franchise in order to keep the CFL afloat.

I hate to bring up this cap thing.. but you have to look at whats rumored to be the salaries of the toronto players... yet no one mentions them being over the cap.. we go a bit over and everyone jumps down our throat. The league will just sweep torontos case under the carpet.. Toronto will get who they want, and that'll be Ray or DD.

You give too much credit to Toronto. I don't think they can afford to keep Ray and Avery at high salaries, not to mention Allen and all the other players that think they deserve a raise becasue they won the cup.

Esks4ever
11-24-2004, 11:51 AM
You give too much credit to Toronto. I don't think they can afford to keep Ray and Avery at high salaries, not to mention Allen and all the other players that think they deserve a raise becasue they won the cup.

sure they can... the league will make sure of that...

I have nothing against Toronto, i have probs with the exectives of the league..and some teams

TurfToe
11-24-2004, 10:39 PM
sure they can... the league will make sure of that...
If you don't think the Esks have been over the cap as well then I'd like to know where you get your prescriptions filled.

I have nothing against Toronto

Really? didn't sound that way when you hijacked my thread about the Argo GC celebration.

TurfToe
11-24-2004, 10:50 PM
IF DD is available they might get him.. but either DD or Ray will be the toronto QB.

ummm... in case you didn't notice, DD has a 'no trade clause' in his contract for '05. He isn't going anywhere!

I don't know what's funnier... your tenuous grip on reality, or the fact that you've got such a good pharmacist. And, as you've tried to point out, you have 'nothing against Toronto'... yet you persist on trying to make this same tired conspiracy theory.

really? you seem to be the one who brings it up more often than not... and you seem to think that only Toronto breaks the cap (lord knows why, after all, you have nothing against Toronto). So many teams have been over the cap and the Esks have been right there at the top. As I mentioned in a different thread regarding cap breaking... so what?! If there are no enforceable rules in place then teams will do whatever they can to be as successful as they can. And that's exactly what they should do! Get over it.

oh, and as for DD, I'll say it here as well... his contract with the Lions goes to '07 and he has a 'no trade clause' for '05.

Esks4ever
11-25-2004, 07:18 AM
Actually these "posts" about the conspiracy theory wasn't me. It was my cousin who is staying with me for the next week or so.. I didn't know he was using my name on here - untill i caught him this morning.

Esks4ever
11-25-2004, 07:24 AM
I have mentioned a conspriacy theory in the past.. but it was more in a tounge and cheek effort. DO i think such a thing could exist? of course I do.. but then we all have no proof of it - and thats what makes it fun.. so i'm sorry you took offense to this, and began to bash me down.. but I assure you this wasn't me at all... I've told my cousin ( Rodney) to make his own account if he wants to say such things...

Esks4ever
11-25-2004, 07:29 AM
Also one other thing Turf Toe - not that I am sticking up for my cousin, but its his opinion and he has the right to state it without prosecution. If you don't like what his opinion is don't read it and ignore it. The " meds " or prescription things where never uncesseray and hurtful ( for reasons I will not say in a public forum ).

Rodney has a penchant for getting under peoples skins. and I've told him should he want to post here he has to repect all other posters..and not to be such a trouble maker.. I dont know if he'll join.. we will see...

I hope you and I TT are clear and ok on this...

E4E

TurfToe
11-25-2004, 08:41 PM
Also one other thing Turf Toe - not that I am sticking up for my cousin, but its his opinion and he has the right to state it without prosecution. If you don't like what his opinion is don't read it and ignore it. The " meds " or prescription things where never uncesseray and hurtful ( for reasons I will not say in a public forum ).

Rodney has a penchant for getting under peoples skins. and I've told him should he want to post here he has to repect all other posters..and not to be such a trouble maker.. I dont know if he'll join.. we will see...

I hope you and I TT are clear and ok on this...

E4E

Any opinion is up for criticism... but anyone with an opinion is also free to state it. Thank goodness for that!!

I'm glad you've cleared things up for me... it makes a lot of sense now in retrospect. And to you I owe an apology.

As for another trouble maker on board... why not! I'm always up for a good debate - as long as things are kept civil and they're willing to get taken down a peg or two when they contradict themselves... lord knows I've done that to myself enough times and paid the price!

Cheers, TT

Esks4ever
11-26-2004, 07:01 AM
I honestly don't know if my cousin will show up here or not..I've told him should he want to post here, not to be a pest to fellow posters.. and if he says something that others don't like he better be prepared to defend himself :)

Phrost
11-26-2004, 08:43 AM
The Chicago Bears are desperatly in the market for a QB....I know it probably wont happen but if Ray goes down on Waivers maybe they'll snag him.

Diesel
11-26-2004, 08:46 AM
Dallas could use one too.

Opus
11-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Dallas could use one too.yes, with Vinnie hurt and Drew Henson not quite ready for prime time, the 'Boys could use someone right now.....if you saw the game yesterday between those two teams, you'd have seen that Ricky could have been an upgrade for either of those teams....

Diesel
11-26-2004, 09:06 AM
Yup, at least the 'Boys won for a change. As crazy as it sounds, they still could make the playoffs.

Opus
11-26-2004, 09:07 AM
They're in tough.....they'll have to win their division IMO as I think either Minny or the Pack will have the wildcard.....

Diesel
11-26-2004, 09:08 AM
A lot has to happen, but the NFC is weak this year.

Opus
11-26-2004, 09:13 AM
very......my how things have changed

NiteHawk0
11-26-2004, 09:04 PM

Here's hoping it's DD, and Ricky ends up back in Edmonton. :thup: