PDA

View Full Version : My favorite Calgary Flames thread

Nanookster
01-06-2005, 02:40 PM
This is my favorite thread. It was posted at the Flames site after they lost the Stanley Cup last year.

It holds alot of truth. It is a little too harsh on Jarome, but even that paragraph holds some truth.

Was I sad when the Calgary Flames lost the Stanley Cup last night? Absolutely not. The Calgary Flames play a disrespectful form of hockey. Let us review:

1) Clutch and Grab: The Flames are a low talent team, consequently, the only way they can win is too play the trap. I do not speak for every hockey fan, but I believe most would agree that this style of hockey is boring, and severely perverts the method by which hockey was meant to be played. The trap was invented so unskilled teams like Calgary, Minnesota, et cetera could compete with skilled teams, such as Vancouver, Colorado et cetera. Frankly, the fact that Calgary was able to clutch and grab their way to the Stanley Cup finals reveals the poor state of the NHL, and the method by which it operates. Tampa winning the cup symbolizes the triumph of run and gun hockey over the pathetic trap.

2) No Class: Call it passion if you wish, but starting brawls at the end of losing games shows a lack of sportsmanship. You can call it sending a message, I call it acting out of disrespect. If you want to send a message at the end of a losing game, hit hard, finish your checks, but do not jump opposing players and start brawls. Learn to lose with dignity.

3) Jarome Iginla: First, I must state that Jarome is an excellent hockey player, as well as an excellent addition to team Canada. Despite this, Mr. Ignila must learn to control his overactive emotions. How many times did Iginla start fights while he wore a visor? How many times did Iginla lose his cool in a manner which is comparable to a four year old child who just dropped his ice cream cone? Come on Iggy, see a psychiatrist and deal with your obvious emotional disorder. Many excuse Iginla's behaviour by stating that it is simply passion. Well, a player can be passionate without throwing multiple temper tantrums. Passion and poor self discipline are separate entities. There are many other NHL players with the same amount of passion as Iggy who keep their cool, so grow up "Captain," and provide some real leadership.

For the sake of hockey, thank God the flames did not touch Lord Stanley and corrupt everything it stands for: good, fast, clean hockey.

Congratulations Tampa, D.S.C.

P.S. There is no reason to censor this article. It brings up legitimate arguments, without making any unfair derogatory comments. If anyone disagrees with any of my above conjectures, instead of using the playground tactics of calling names, perhaps explain why you disagree, and provide written support.[/quote]

lloyd
01-06-2005, 03:32 PM
fair enough :thup:

Opus
01-06-2005, 04:43 PM
not exactly timely, but I would like to see how people responded to it......do you have a link 'Nookster?

earl2
01-06-2005, 08:19 PM
For the sake of hockey, thank God the flames did not touch Lord Stanley and corrupt everything it stands for: good, fast, clean hockey.

Whoever posted this must have been asleep when teams like Dallas and New Jersey were winning their Stanley Cups...

Nanookster
01-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Whoever posted this must have been asleep when teams like Dallas and New Jersey were winning their Stanley Cups...

But they never presented the real Cups to those guys. Didn't you see them drinking from the same toilet bowl that the Flames drank from for their one and only Cup?

No one will ever accuse me of liking the Flames, or anything coming out of Calgary.

Nanookster
01-07-2005, 09:30 AM
not exactly timely, but I would like to see how people responded to it......do you have a link 'Nookster?

They hated it.

Here it is : http://forum.calgaryflames.com/viewtopic.php?t=18701&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

It's a funny site to read stuff at. Many of them think the Cup was and still is theirs. Posts still appear daily.

And I like to rub it in. It is a lot more fun then picking on a poor defenseless Rider fan. :)

Opus
01-07-2005, 11:47 AM
.....now I have to ask.......what's your handle there?

Nanookster
01-07-2005, 12:03 PM
.....now I have to ask.......what's your handle there?

I'm sure you'll guess. :)

It should be "poop disturber."

lloyd
01-07-2005, 12:17 PM
good point

Opus
01-07-2005, 12:21 PM
I'm sure you'll guess. :)

It should be "poop disturber."you're 5 X right?:confused: :confused:

Nanookster
01-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Is that person bitter and twisted? :)

I think he's cool! :)

Correct.

Opus
01-07-2005, 01:19 PM
nice Avy......burnin' down the house?

Nanookster
01-07-2005, 02:30 PM
nice Avy......burnin' down the house?

It's my favorite Avvy! Want a huge JPEG of it? It looks good at work on the fridge and so on!

I put it on my bosses door as well, after the loss. I told him I found a way to cheer for the Flames.

Opus
01-07-2005, 02:55 PM
post it.....always good to have anti-Calgary fodder......(even though I don't hate the Flames per say)

Nanookster
01-09-2005, 08:41 AM
post it.....always good to have anti-Calgary fodder......(even though I don't hate the Flames per say)

I will once I locate the size limit here. I may have to resize it.

Freak
01-09-2005, 06:46 PM
The first argument holds some water. The second and third are just ridiculous.

Nanookster
01-09-2005, 08:55 PM
The first argument holds some water. The second and third are just ridiculous.

Why doesn't the second?

Every game the Flames lost they started fights! You haven't forgotten have you?

I partially agree with the third. Iginla was involved in some stuff he shouldn't have. But Messier use to do that too.

Freak
01-09-2005, 09:11 PM
Why doesn't the second?

Every game the Flames lost they started fights! You haven't forgotten have you?

I partially agree with the third. Iginla was involved in some stuff he shouldn't have. But Messier use to do that too.

The only game I can recall an actual fight in is the one where the guy showboated all the way to the empty net, and IMO he deserved what he got for that.

Iginla was fighting. Plenty of good hockey players fight, it doesn't mean it counts as an "emotional disorder".

Esks4ever
01-10-2005, 08:00 AM
Why are there 18 posts in a Calgary thread on a Eskimos fan site ? :D :lol:

j/k :)

Nanookster
01-10-2005, 08:03 AM
The only game I can recall an actual fight in is the one where the guy showboated all the way to the empty net, and IMO he deserved what he got for that.

Iginla was fighting. Plenty of good hockey players fight, it doesn't mean it counts as an "emotional disorder".

Every Calgary loss in the last round ended with Calgary players starting fights.

Most of the games in the previous rounds were the same. But it was every loss in the last round. When Tampa lost they just skated off the ice.

Nanookster
01-10-2005, 08:04 AM
Why are there 18 posts in a Calgary thread on a Eskimos fan site ? :D :lol:

j/k :)

Because this is "other sports" and we all hate our arch rival Calgary? :)

MEEZY
01-10-2005, 06:28 PM
Because this is "other sports" and we all hate our arch rival Calgary? :)

In that case, it should be in the "CFL Football" forum... ;)