PDA

View Full Version : Clemens asking for 22 Million

Edmonton Fan
01-21-2005, 10:09 AM
22 Million.. for throwing a ball?

Absolutely ludacris, how can a professional athlete be worth 22 million dollars?

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=112101

Angelus
01-21-2005, 10:13 AM
If A-Rod is worth 25 mil a year...22 sounds reasonable for the Cy Young winner...

earl2
01-21-2005, 10:14 AM
What makes me laugh is that Clemons isn't even sure he is going to play next season.

I'm betting if he gets 22 Million in arbitration, he'll play.

lloyd
01-21-2005, 11:20 AM
Unbelievable...

Opus
01-21-2005, 11:22 AM
thats like 1.25 million per win.......good lord it has spun out of control......(didn't he win around 18 games last year?)

earl2
01-21-2005, 01:44 PM
Apparantly he has signed today for 18M on a one-year contract.
I wonder how he'll survive without that extra 4 million?

Edmonton Fan
01-21-2005, 01:48 PM
18 Million and he's probably still not satisfied.

It's all about the money.

Chucker44
01-21-2005, 02:59 PM
No salary cap in baseball?

I guess no one is paying attention to the state of the NHL.

Diesel
01-21-2005, 04:04 PM
And the NHLPA points to MLB and says, " see, their system works!" :broll:

Esks4ever
01-21-2005, 05:58 PM
This is sick....

esks4life
01-21-2005, 06:50 PM
I could have sworn I put a rant on this thread about this situation. Cause I typed a s*itload. Oh well, still pathetic the way baseball works sometimes.

Nanookster
01-21-2005, 10:12 PM
Baseball players aren't even athletes.

But no athlete should be paid 22 million.

Doctors yes, useless athletes no.

esks4life
01-21-2005, 11:36 PM
Granted they do play 162 games and can be away from family and friends for weeks, but like you said Nanookster, they aint no athletes. I can jog around a field and scratch my balls as well.

gizmo fan 2
01-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Granted they do play 162 games and can be away from family and friends for weeks, but like you said Nanookster, they aint no athletes. I can jog around a field and scratch my balls as well.

:lol: I agree.

I'd love to be paid millions of dollars a year to:
sit on the bench for 2/5 of the game (8/9 or more for the DH);
stand in the field for 1/2 more of the game, wearing a glove, chewing bubble gum, and catching and throwing a little white ball that might come near me every so often;
for the other 1/10 of the game, go up to a little white dish, and swing a stick at the same little white ball that some guy up on a hill tries to throw past me...if he can't throw it in the right place, I walk 90 feet and stand there until someone else hits it...if I manage to hit it, then I run (or jog, if I hit it hard enough) around the bases, until I make a circle and step on the little white dish, then I go sit down again.

No knock on pro ballplayers, they are skilled...I know I couldn't get close to hitting major league pitching. And they do have to play every day, and be away from home for long stretches.

But when I read that A-Rod gets about $60 000 for every time he goes up to that little white dish with a stick in his hand, I shook my head and thought that was insane. :eek: That's too much, IMO.

Muley69
01-22-2005, 09:55 AM
Lois Hole once said that "Someday, it was her hope that doctors, teachers, artists, and librarians would earn as much as locked-out NHL stars".

You look at what pro athletes actually do for society. For three hours or so in an evening, they entertain us. How can anyone justify that THAT deserves more money than a doctor or a teacher? (You know, someone that is actually critical in our society)?

That's what makes me so upset with pro salaries.

Esks4ever
01-22-2005, 10:08 AM
Lois Hole once said that "Someday, it was her hope that doctors, teachers, artists, and librarians would earn as much as locked-out NHL stars".

That'd be nice

Angelus
01-22-2005, 10:25 AM
Baseball players aren't even athletes.
Sorry, but that is absolutely 100% crap.

Sure, there's the odd overweight first baseman playing, but many of these guy's train harder than any other athletes. I'll take Rafael Furcal over almost any football wide receiver in a short race...

Anyone who has played baseball regularily or has watched Andruw Jones in center field knows that these guys are indeed athletes.

esks4life
01-22-2005, 10:51 AM
Sorry, but that is absolutely 100% crap.

Sure, there's the odd overweight first baseman playing, but many of these guy's train harder than any other athletes. I'll take Rafael Furcal over almost any football wide receiver in a short race...

Anyone who has played baseball regularily or has watched Andruw Jones in center field knows that these guys are indeed athletes.
No doubt it does take some athletic ability to do what these guys do(and i for one probably could not do what they do) but for the most part they arent being overly athletic throughout a game like you are in hockey or football. So they can throw fast, run fast and catch good. Not good enough for that kind of dough.

MEEZY
01-22-2005, 11:04 AM

You look at what pro athletes actually do for society. For three hours or so in an evening, they entertain us. How can anyone justify that THAT deserves more money than a doctor or a teacher? (You know, someone that is actually critical in our society)?

That's what makes me so upset with pro salaries.

I agree 100 percent. As much as I love sports, both in terms of watching and playing, I honestly get sick to my stomach when I think of how little other professions (especially teachers, who start at a ridiculously measly $35,000) get paid in comparison to pro athletes. Doctors already get paid darn well, although they should still make more than athletes, considering that they save lives, rather than entertain them. Teachers, on the other hand, are responsible for the future of society and make, on average, one one-hundredth of what the average pro athlete does... :sick:

I could get this into a lot more, but I think I'll contain myself...

Esks4ever
01-22-2005, 11:45 AM
I could get this into a lot more, but I think I'll contain myself...

Save it for the Pillow fight :D :lol:

Diesel
01-22-2005, 01:56 PM
LMAO!!!

Nanookster
01-22-2005, 08:52 PM
Save it for the Pillow fight :D :lol:

Only a pillow fight?

I guess this was out of the question?

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/sarge/BoomSmilie_anim.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/AR15firing.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/2gunsfiring_v1.gif http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/contrib/blackeye/snipersmilie.gif

Joepritch2
01-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Wow. Lots of unhappiness about this, but mostly because the money is so out of whack.

Believe it or not, I can defend this, if you suspend your disbelief that the players don't earn the money they get. I know they don't deserve it, but it's not going to change any time soon, so we have to deal with it.

Clemens, for one thing, pitched for way below market value last season, so some of this is seen as a way to make up for him taking less last year. Also, the number quoted of 22 million that he was asking for was a gamesmanship tactic.

Arbitriation means that the player quotes a number, the team quotes a number, and an arbitrator acts as a judge to determine which number is more fair. There is no splitting, there is no half and half, it's either one number (the owner's number) or the other (the player's). What generally happens though is that the owners give out a very low number, the player gives out a very high number, and because neither side wants to risk losing, they compromise, like they should have done in the first place. The number Clemens quoted was 22 million, but he knew he wasn't going to see that unless the owner stood his ground.

Is he worth 18 million in real dollars, as compared to everyone, not just athletes? Absolutely not, but in the world of sports, and in baseball particularly, since they have the highest salaries of them all, and every penny is guaranteed, he's worth that and possibly more.