PDA

View Full Version : CFL salaries

GeeBrr
01-22-2005, 03:09 PM
This could be a CFL thread, but this was discussed (at great length) at ourbombers.com, Kamau Peterson mentioned that he thought that players should be making more than coaches in the CFL.

I personally think only a select few players should be able to make more than coaches (particularily proven successful coaches) as it doesn't work to have player contracts going sky high in a league where good coaches need an incentive to stay in the CFL rather than go south.

What do you guys think? I also think a guy with a long history of being successful can be just as exciting to fans as a Jermaine Copeland level type of player, and that credibility can put people in the seats on a one to one basis. Obviously a collection of good players is what brings the fans out, but I think say a Wally Buono would have the same attraction from fans as say a Jermaine Copeland.

The thread over there: http://www.ourbombers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10961

Diesel
01-22-2005, 03:15 PM
At this point the CFL is much shorter on talent in the coaching ranks than it is in the player ranks. Peteron should quiet his yap and worry about not dropping balls. He might one day get a raise if he does.

Beerfish
01-22-2005, 03:22 PM
Diesel stole my thunder, I was about to say that Dave Richie probably has better hands than Kamau Peterson.

My feeling is that teams should be able to spend their money any way they see fit. I think that coaches and such are in fact part of the salary cap in the CFL. (As strange as that sounds.) If a team wants to spend on a hot coach so be it.

GeeBrr
01-22-2005, 03:39 PM
Would you guys be significantly more excited to see a player like Jermaine Copeland signed, or a coach like Wally Buono?

earl2
01-22-2005, 10:48 PM
The bottom line is that in most pro leagues the players make substantially more than coaches. But, IMO a good coach in football is as important (if not more so) than good talent. (just look at a guy like Don Matthews who wins everywhere he goes). A good ball player wins games, a good coach wins championships.

Evil Dr. Len
01-23-2005, 08:09 AM
A good ball player wins games, a good coach wins championships.

well put and exactly :thup:

Esks4ever
01-23-2005, 10:48 AM
The bottom line is that in most pro leagues the players make substantially more than coaches. But, IMO a good coach in football is as important (if not more so) than good talent. (just look at a guy like Don Matthews who wins everywhere he goes). A good ball player wins games, a good coach wins championships.

Well said :thup:

Esks4ever
01-23-2005, 10:49 AM
Oh and thread moved to CFL forum... :)

Opus
01-23-2005, 08:45 PM
Just to play Devil's advocate for a second......the problem is that coach's in the CFL could have a shelf life of upwards of 40 years making good money, the guys that put butts in the stands have maybe 10 years to carve out a living.....in that aspect it should be the players walking with fatter wallets.......

earl2
01-23-2005, 08:49 PM
Just to play Devil's advocate for a second......the problem is that coach's in the CFL could have a shelf life of upwards of 40 years making good money, the guys that put butts in the stands have maybe 10 years to carve out a living.....in that aspect it should be the players walking with fatter wallets.......
That's a good point. And while a coaching job is a 24 hour a day job, players work their a**es off twelve months a year to do what they do. But my point is that a good coach can compensate for average talent. Talented players usually can't make up for mediocre coaching.

Esks4ever
01-24-2005, 07:40 AM

excellent point :thup:

Esks4ever
01-24-2005, 07:41 AM
Talented players usually can't make up for mediocre coaching

Eskimos 2003 Edition where an expection to this rule ;) :D

Diesel
01-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Bingo!