PDA

View Full Version : CFL's nine teams to sport new look

Esks4ever
01-25-2005, 04:22 PM
CFL's nine teams to sport new look

Canadian Press

1/25/2005

TORONTO (CP) - The CFL will be sporting a new look in 2005.

The league's nine teams will all be outfitted in redesigned uniforms this season as a result of a five-year merchandise and apparel agreement reached last year with Reebok.

In 2004, Reebok provided the league with a wide array of sideline apparel like coaches' shirts, hats, t-shirts, sweat shirts, track suits and jackets.

According to two league sources requesting anonymity, the jerseys will look sharper and crisper as a result of bigger, thicker numbers and more detailed outlines.

And one team will don different colours in 2005. The sources said the B.C. Lions will wear orange home jerseys instead of black with white lettering. The Lions unveiled an orange uniform in 2003 to celebrate its 50th anniversary and it was very popular with fans.

The CFL will also follow the lead of both the NFL and NHL and have more of its teams using third jerseys this season for special occasions.

The Edmonton Eskimos (Green Bay Packers gold) and Ottawa Renegades (red) will both unveil alternate uniforms this season, joining B.C. (black), Montreal (dark blue), Calgary (black, red, white) and Saskatchewan (black, green).

The Toronto Argonauts will not add an alternate jersey while it's unclear if the Hamilton Tiger-Cats or Winnipeg Blue Bombers will have third jerseys, although there apparently have been discussions for both to add gold uniforms.

The Bombers, celebrating their 75th anniversary this year, are reportedly toying with the idea of wearing white pants with the third jersey.

"Third jerseys have been hugely popular and big-ticket items in the NFL and NHL," said one of the sources. "The CFL is definitely doing this for merchandising purposes and it's also another way to sell your brand to a younger audience."

But fans will have to wait to see their favourite team's uniforms. The new jerseys aren't scheduled for delivery until May 1 and the league is leaving it up to the respective teams to decide when to unveil them.

CFL commissioner Tom Wright declined comment about the third jerseys but he did say during last week's board of governors meetings in Palm Beach, Fla., that the league is looking at different ways to attract a younger audience.

Not surprisingly, the new CFL uniforms will have an NFL look to them. After all, Reebok also outfits all 32 NFL teams.

The Ottawa Renegades' colours will continue to be black, white and red, but their uniforms will have an Atlanta Falcons look to them.

Micki Rivers, the marketing manager for Reebok Canada, wouldn't provide specific details but did say the CFL's new uniforms have been re-designed.

"They have been and they are exciting," she said. "We have an NFL background, which means we have tremendous designers and have a pretty good idea of what does and doesn't appeal to fans.

"I think people will be excited about what they see."

Both sources said the Argonauts haven't decided on a third uniform yet and aren't expected to unveil one until 2007, when they're scheduled to move into a new outdoor stadium on the York University campus.

But the Argos will have a different look this year.

The club has removed teal from its colour pattern - leaving it double blue - and taken the helmeted warrior from its logo, which will now consist of a shield bearing the letter A to be featured on players' helmets. The Argos are also bringing back the old logo of a football, topped by a sail and oars protruding from the lacing.

The Hamilton Tiger-Cats will also feature a more streamlined tiger on its logo this year as well.

Diesel
01-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Micki Rivers, the marketing manager for Reebok Canada, wouldn't provide specific details but did say the CFL's new uniforms have been re-designed.

"They have been and they are exciting," she said. "We have an NFL background, which means we have tremendous designers and have a pretty good idea of what does and doesn't appeal to fans.

Translated: We have left over stuff.

Opus
01-25-2005, 04:28 PM
Translated: We have left over stuff.:lol: :lol: :lol: yup, likely true.......

give us a retro look!

Diesel
01-25-2005, 04:29 PM
I saw ping's sneak peak of the esks' gold one and I was underwhelmed...........

Opus
01-25-2005, 04:40 PM
I saw ping's sneak peak of the esks' gold one and I was underwhelmed...........to put it mildly.....a gold version of the Patsy's uninspired design......(heck, almost all of the new ones will be the same design too)

Esks4ever
01-25-2005, 04:46 PM
doesn't sound like too much thought was put into designing them..

also reading it I get the feeling they're just using existing patterns and colors from the NFL teams, to make the CFL teams look more like an NFL team..

Edmonton = GB
Ottawa = Atlanta
and so on..

Diesel
01-25-2005, 04:59 PM
So far that appears the case. Nothing like ignoring history and tradition....*sigh*

Opus
01-25-2005, 05:03 PM
actually the Stamps 3rds will look more like Atlanta's

Esks4ever
01-25-2005, 05:10 PM
actually the Stamps 3rds will look more like Atlanta's

I was just going by what they said in the article.. about Ottawa's jersey will have an Atlanta Falcons feel to it..

lloyd
01-25-2005, 05:26 PM
The CFL jerseys nowadays are kind of bland and one dimensional, lets see how this transpires.

Angelus
01-25-2005, 06:12 PM
I'll be interested to see the new look. Not expecting much though...

Opus
01-25-2005, 09:50 PM
Well, I did some sorting through my files.....lo and behold I had saved one of Pings blurry pics......

Who's your Daddy? (you can show your appreciation in the form of rep - "crack") :D

gizmo fan 2
01-25-2005, 11:40 PM
I don't much like it...combines old and new striping and really doesn't look all that great. But I guess we didn't have all that many other options for a 3rd jersey.

I don't think I'll be buying a new one, at least not for a while...I'll stick with my home green for now. :thup:

Angelus
01-26-2005, 01:22 AM
Ouch. That looks like the Nashville Predators ugly third jersey's...

Not looking good.

Evil Dr. Len
01-26-2005, 06:52 AM
They say the uniforms will be unveiled by May 1st...hopefully the d@mn schedule is released by them!

Esks4ever
01-26-2005, 07:21 AM
I hope our 3rd jersey don't look like that.. that looks horrid...

Opus
01-26-2005, 08:28 AM
The base design is taken from the Patriots.....I'm not too fond of them myself.....perhaps I'll change my mind later.....

In case you haven't seen the shot of Calgary's, it looks almost identical to Atlanta's jerseys they wore last week.....

56Parkies
01-26-2005, 09:50 AM
I'd rather see the team throw on a "retro" jersey (like the late 50's/early 60's), rather than that gold one. A bit more history, with the likes of Parker, Bright, Kwong, Miles et al having worn one.

http://www.kskssports.com/ksks_sports/football_mags/images/fm01_27_01.jpg

Opus
01-26-2005, 09:53 AM
I'd rather see the team throw on a "retro" jersey (like the late 50's/early 60's), rather than that gold one. A bit more history, with the likes of Parker, Bright, Kwong, Miles et al having worn one.

http://www.kskssports.com/ksks_sports/football_mags/images/fm01_27_01.jpgexactly......with the shimmery gold we used to have back then.....no stripes on the pants or helmet, just simple and classic.....

56Parkies
01-26-2005, 10:08 AM
Don't understand why more teams don't do that. Look at the Maple Leafs when they pulled out the 50's vintage sweater.. or even the St. Pats jerseys! Tradition, but still "new" to many of their fans who weren't around. I'd be interested in seeing the Oil put on a '72-'73 era jersey for a few games, m'self. They'd sell a bundle of 'em.

Esks4ever
01-26-2005, 10:14 AM

http://www.kskssports.com/ksks_sports/football_mags/images/fm01_27_01.jpg

I'm with you on this....:thup:

Diesel
01-26-2005, 01:15 PM
The retro jersey, to me pays homage and respect to those that walked before you. Gimmicky new ones smell of a cash grab and not much more. I think the Esks should have their third jersey the same ones that the 3 in a row 50's Esks wore. Looks like it won't happen.

56Parkies
01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
the 3-in-a-row gang wore plain green (or white) jerseys tho. It wasn't 'til after 56 that they added the gold stripes on the shoulder.

Sorry.. just nitpicking; I know what ya mean!

Diesel
01-26-2005, 01:25 PM
I stand corrected.

Germany25
01-26-2005, 01:29 PM
could just borrow the U of A jerseys again and call it good. save a lot of time and effort....

Edmonton Fan
01-26-2005, 02:57 PM
I've always liked the NFL jerseys, chances are I'll like these ones too.

Nanookster
01-26-2005, 09:21 PM
Cool! great idea!!

the_shadow
01-26-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure if I like this move on the CFL's part. It reeks of an Americanization of the game...again. Now that they have firmly re-established themselves as a strong entity here in Canada, the CFL is ready to grow the game, take it bigger and better levels.

That's all well and good, but it seems to me that every one of their great plans for growth follows precedents set by their American counterparts: third jerseys, expansion, corporate title sponsorshop, video game development, etc...

Now don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a CFL video game. I'd love to see the CFL expand into markets that could support it. And I always get excited about new jerseys.

BUT, it was getting this league back to it's essential Canadian roots in the late 90s that saved it, and have helped it evolve into the nationwide success it was in 2004. The last time they look to American influence to grow the game, it blew up in their face, and it took them a long time to recover. I really hope this doesn't happen again.

Now, on the other hand, these moves all could give the CFL more exposure, make it more viable with young fans, and make the teams some more $$$.

So I'm torn on how I feel about this. The third jerseys are just another off-shoot of the CFL's grand-sweeping plan. I just hope they know what they're doing. I personally don't have any problems with all these American-influenced initiatives that are taking place -- to an extent, I even welcome them (after all, I think I'm one of the few who actually likes the Esks third jersey). But NOT at the risk of plumetting this league back to the depths of circa 1995. I guess we will all just have to place faith in the CFL braintrust that resurrected this league, and give them the benefit of the doubt.

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 07:11 AM
I dont mind that they are trying to get the CFL some exposure.. But IMO they need to expose it more to the Canadian Youth. Why is there no place to buy posters of current CFL players ? It is almost impossible to buy any team appearal. This stuff should be easy to find. Kids lurk out at their local malls.. and there isn't a game on sports store in every mall.. they need to get CFL merchandise out to more than one vendor. I myself have been looking for posters for the last few years,,, sports chek nope. Game on sports. Nope. Local little sports store. Nope.

56Parkies
01-27-2005, 09:29 AM
I agree; the future of most things lie with getting the kids interested early. CFL-themed ballcaps, trading cards, video games, shirts that are deemed "cool".. Don't sell out the game, but get things that excite the younger generation. When I was young, I had a lamp that was an Eskimo player figure (wore Bryan Fryer's #77, IIRC).. The players came 'round to the schools. We used to always go to the games back at Clarke and then at CW. Of course, the fact we always seemed to be in the big game didn't hurt.. ;)

lloyd
01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
They had to evolve eventually, and no better time than no. I dont buy that whole americanizing thing. If looking good means being more like America, then I'm all for it.

Nanookster
01-27-2005, 02:30 PM
It reeks of an Americanization of the game...again.

Anytime we have change we blame it on the Americans.

Sorry, humans just don't like change.

The CFL is as Canadian as can be. It may be one of the few remaining things in Canada that is uniquely ours.

sbabs
01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
Well, I don't know about the kids liking the third jerseys because I'm only 15 and I would like to see retro jerseys over a new third jersey and so would some of my friends.

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 08:10 PM
[QUOTE=56Parkies, trading cards, [/QUOTE]

Good looking trading cards....

56Parkies
01-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Good looking trading cards....

Awww, you don't like the very stylish "Jogo" cards? :lol:

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 09:25 PM
Awww, you don't like the very stylish "Jogo" cards? :lol:

No, way too cheap feeling... I collect a fair about of cards.. maingly Collectiable Card games.. and the Jogo feel cheaper than the cheapest of CCG :)

56Parkies
01-27-2005, 09:30 PM
The Pacific's the past two years were pretty decent.. and they just got taken over by Donruss, so... <shrug>

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 09:34 PM
I have never Like Donruss..i had quite a few baseball cards by Donruss.. not impressed..

Rival
01-27-2005, 09:40 PM
I have never Like Donruss..i had quite a few baseball cards by Donruss.. not impressed..

I have a 89 Donruss factory set with Griffey, Shef, and the big Unit as rookies and the thing is still worth dick. Not bad cards but when Upper Deck came in that year they blew everyone away.

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 09:43 PM
I wish i could find them... donruss or not.. I can't recall what year it was...and It'd be cool to go thru...

56Parkies
01-27-2005, 09:50 PM
I wasn't crazy about the product, but it's better than Jogo anyway. Then again, I'd rather have Jogo than no cards at all!!

Hey, Jed.. is it true that Jogo charges the players to have cards in the set? That's a rumour I've heard for a while now..

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 09:51 PM
I wasn't crazy about the product, but it's better than Jogo anyway. Then again, I'd rather have Jogo than no cards at all!!

Hey, Jed.. is it true that Jogo charges the players to have cards in the set? That's a rumour I've heard for a while now..

I agree any cards are better then none... I have a some cards from the 2004 set.... they have been a bitch to find...

56Parkies
01-27-2005, 09:58 PM
I agree any cards are better then none... I have a some cards from the 2004 set.... they have been a bitch to find...

I know a guy who sells singles, team sets or entire sets -- he got me my 2004's. If ya want, I can stop hijacking this thread and PM you his details <lol>

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 10:03 PM
I know a guy who sells singles, team sets or entire sets -- he got me my 2004's. If ya want, I can stop hijacking this thread and PM you his details <lol>

Hi jack away.. its been happening lots lately :) but ya PM the details.. he have just CFL or other sports and or years ?

the_shadow
01-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Well, I don't know about the kids liking the third jerseys because I'm only 15 and I would like to see retro jerseys over a new third jersey and so would some of my friends.

Actually, that's a very good point. Retro jerseys are all the RAGE with the kids right now. And a leauge with a history as long as the CFL should have plenty of retro jerseys they could bring into use.

That's what they should have done -- forget having every team wear a third jersey this year, have every team wear a retro jersey (for the Renegades, they could have worn an old Roughriders jersey). If they had marketed it right, I think that would have gone over huge.

the_shadow
01-27-2005, 10:47 PM
I dont mind that they are trying to get the CFL some exposure.. But IMO they need to expose it more to the Canadian Youth.

I agree, the youth is key, and I think they are trying to do that. I think initiatives like the third jersey and a video game are targeting a younger audience.

The problem is, often you need stars to market to youths. And the CFL is not a star-driven league. It is not a league that markets itself around individuals. For one thing, there are very, very few househould names in this league, and those have the potential to become a household name head for south of the border. And football is a very hard sport to market around individuals to boot -- just look at the NFL. They have the greatest football players in the world, and even they market themselves around teams, not single players.

Esks4ever
01-28-2005, 07:05 AM
Actually, that's a very good point. Retro jerseys are all the RAGE with the kids right now. And a leauge with a history as long as the CFL should have plenty of retro jerseys they could bring into use.

That's what they should have done -- forget having every team wear a third jersey this year, have every team wear a retro jersey (for the Renegades, they could have worn an old Roughriders jersey). If they had marketed it right, I think that would have gone over huge.

Agree. I think alot of us would rather see Retro Jerseys over new third jerseys.. New third jerseys only come off as a cash grab attempt, while retro jerseys are a way to celebrate this history of the team and the CFL...

For the Oil, even though I liked the new Jerseys , i would have rather had seen them go back to the Old early 80's jersey as their 3rd jersey.. That 80s jersey has history.. and theres alot of people who would bought one to remember

56Parkies
01-28-2005, 09:48 AM
For the Oil, even though I liked the new Jerseys , i would have rather had seen them go back to the Old early 80's jersey as their 3rd jersey.. That 80s jersey has history.. and theres alot of people who would bought one to remember

Many jersey stores (even here on the coast) are selling 80's "retro oiler jerseys", even if the team doesn't wear them. I'd prefer to see the WHA jerseys, m'self, since ya can't buy one for love or money right now.. :) I saw a Jim Harrison jersey on eBay a while back, but missed the hammer, sadly. Went pretty cheap, too!

At any rate, I can't even but a CURRENT Eskie jersey out here, so that'd be a start.. THEN we can look at getting some retro ones out here <lol>

Esks4ever
01-28-2005, 09:59 AM
I never saw any Oil retro jerseys , when i was looking, but I agree with ya the CFL needs to get their products out to the masses better..

56Parkies
01-28-2005, 10:09 AM
http://shop.edmontonoilers.com/store/category?category=461%2C18875

It's a bit smaller right now than it has been; you used to be able to get both home and away jerseys, plus ones with Messier & Gretzky's numbers and namebars, etc, etc. Still not a bad price, tho!

Esks4ever
01-28-2005, 10:16 AM
http://shop.edmontonoilers.com/store/category?category=461%2C18875

It's a bit smaller right now than it has been; you used to be able to get both home and away jerseys, plus ones with Messier & Gretzky's numbers and namebars, etc, etc. Still not a bad price, tho!

Sweet thanks muchly... man, you are a man with answers :)

56Parkies
01-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Sweet thanks muchly... man, you are a man with answers :)

lol.. too bad I don't get a commission! :P

esks4life
01-28-2005, 10:41 AM
Ever see NBA jerseys? They seem like they are coming out with a new jersey for some of the teams twice a week.

the_shadow
01-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Agree. I think alot of us would rather see Retro Jerseys over new third jerseys.. New third jerseys only come off as a cash grab attempt, while retro jerseys are a way to celebrate this history of the team and the CFL...

Well, the retro jerseys are a cash grab too....they just hide it better under the guise of, as you put it, "celebrating team history".

I agree, I would rather have the Oilers use their retro jerseys as their thirds. I do like the current alternate jersey, though. I almost think it would be cool if they designed a white version of the third jersey, and then used that as the home/away set, and brought back the 80s jersey to wear as the thirds.

Anyways, I can't beleive you haven't seen any retro Oilers jerseys for sale. They're everywhere in this city! Off the top of my head, I can think of Sport Chek, Champs, Foot Locker, Game On Sports, Champions, Sports Closet, Jersey City, United Cycle and Frozen Canvas as places I have seen stocking Oilers retro jerseys.

the_shadow
01-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Ever see NBA jerseys? They seem like they are coming out with a new jersey for some of the teams twice a week.

Well, the NBA has capatalized on the retro craze better than any other league. When you total it up, I think the NBA actually has the fewest third jerseys out of any of the big 4 pro sport leagues. However, I would guess about 2/3 of their teams have used retros at some point in time over the past couple of seasons.

Anyways, you've gotta give them credit. Retro NBA jerseys are probably the most popular sports jersey with the young set right now.

Nanookster
01-28-2005, 06:52 PM

Am I a kid too? I love the Retro jerseys. They are nostalgic!!!

56Parkies
01-28-2005, 08:27 PM
Am I a kid too? I love the Retro jerseys. They are nostalgic!!!

Ya don't need to be a kid, but you gotta admit; they ARE the largest consumer group.. :)

Nanookster
01-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Ya don't need to be a kid, but you gotta admit; they ARE the largest consumer group.. :)

Don't tell me I'm old :(

56Parkies
01-29-2005, 09:13 AM
naw.. just experienced! :)