PDA

View Full Version : T.O determined to play

Edmonton Fan
01-26-2005, 03:11 PM
Story here: http://www.tsn.ca/nfl/news_story.asp?ID=112658&hubName=nfl

PHILADELPHIA (AP) - Terrell Owens might try to play in the Super Bowl, ignoring his doctor's orders.

Philadelphia Eagles head trainer Rick Burkholder said Wednesday that Owens plans to continue rehabbing his injured ankle in an attempt to suit up against the New England Patriots on Feb. 6.

Dr. Mark Myerson, the surgeon who operated on the All-Pro receiver in December, said Tuesday he would not clear Owens to play in the Super Bowl.

"We understand Dr. Myerson's point of view. It's just that our risk-reward is different than his risk-reward," Burkholder said. "He has great risk in clearing Terrell to play and no reward. We think there's some risk and we think there's great reward, so right now we're going to progress with his rehab."

Owens was at the Eagles' practice facility for rehab work Wednesday, but the team said he wouldn't be made available to reporters.

On Monday, before hearing Myerson's bad news, Owens said: "Spiritually I've been healed and I believe that I'll be out there on that field Sunday, regardless of what anybody says."

Myerson inserted two screws in Owens' right ankle and a plate on the outside of the ankle three days after he was injured against Dallas on Dec. 19. By not clearing Owens to play, Myerson should be absolved of any blame if Owens goes against his wishes and winds up re-injuring the ankle.

Owens was told after surgery that he had only an outside chance of returning for the Super Bowl, which was 6 weeks away at the time. But he rehabbed vigorously, hoping to help Philadelphia win its first NFL championship since 1960.

But after a checkup Tuesday in Baltimore, Myerson said that while he's pleased with Owens' recuperation, the operation requires a recovery period of eight to 10 weeks. Myerson added that any attempt to accelerate the rehabilitation process poses the same risk for injury.

Burkholder said Owens worked out on a treadmill when he returned to Philadelphia on Tuesday.

"We will continue to see whether he can jog and see how he does day in and day out, see if he can change direction," Burkholder said Wednesday.

"If he passes all those tests, then we'll start talking about practice time. Right now, the game isn't even in our vision right now. If he has any setbacks in his rehab, then the whole idea of playing in the Super Bowl is probably off."

In his first season with the Eagles after eight years in San Francisco, Owens led Philadelphia with 77 catches for 1,200 yards and 14 TDs.

Quarterback Donovan McNabb and other Eagles have said they don't need Owens to beat the defending champion Patriots, who are seven-point favourites.

"We can win it without T.O. But, if he is there, we can win it with him and we are definitely going to try to win it without him," McNabb said Monday.

"I think he will be back," he added. "But, if he can't be back, we have to continue this ship home."

Opus
01-26-2005, 03:27 PM
It must be a Philadelphia thing to rush players back too early.....

Angelus
01-26-2005, 04:13 PM
Nothing will keep him out of this one...

Esks4ever
01-26-2005, 05:36 PM
I can't see TO not being in this game.. the biggest game of the year for one of the biggest ass' of the league.. who knows what stunt he might try should he get a td..

esks4life
01-26-2005, 06:48 PM
If I had the chance to be in the Super Bowl I know I would be doing anything I could do to play in it. The Eagles dont need TO but it would be nice to see what he could do in the big game.

Opus
01-27-2005, 12:25 AM
If I had the chance to be in the Super Bowl I know I would be doing anything I could do to play in it. The Eagles dont need TO but it would be nice to see what he could do in the big game....like try to make a cut and break his ankle again........

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 06:57 AM
Well we know TO isn't the sharpest tool in the shed.. he'll try everything to get himself into the lineup, and I dont think there's anyone he'll listen too..

earl2
01-27-2005, 07:03 AM
...like try to make a cut and break his ankle again........
:lol:

esks4life
01-27-2005, 10:51 AM
:lol:

Diesel
01-27-2005, 11:00 AM

That would be damn fine Karma...........

Andrew
01-27-2005, 11:02 AM
Owens has rehabed vigorously and he'll be ready for the superbowl. No way he'll sit this game out.

Opus
01-27-2005, 11:03 AM
That would be damn fine Karma...........is it wrong of me to hope (in some small way) that it happens? :lol:

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 11:41 AM
He won't break his ankle, he'll know his limits and he won't overpush it.

Philly 30 New England 27 with a 50% T.O. :) :thup:

lloyd
01-27-2005, 01:16 PM
See Moss, Randy. An injured receiver is an ineffective receiver.

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 02:20 PM
Maybe in Randy Moss' case, IMO T.O. is a completely different person, and receiver.

He knows the lines between stupidity and reality.

Chucker44
01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
See Moss, Randy. An injured receiver is an ineffective receiver.

I agree with Lloyd.

A 50% TO levels the playing field. He no longer becomes a superstar.

Also See: Avery, John (2002 Grey Cup)

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 02:34 PM
Comparing John (I don't like snow) Avery and T.O. is like comparing apples and oranges.

Chucker44
01-27-2005, 02:53 PM
I was comparing how an injury turns an outstanding player into an average one.

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 03:12 PM
But we don't know how T.O. is progressing, he still has a week to re-hab as well.

Opus
01-27-2005, 03:20 PM
Maybe in Randy Moss' case, IMO T.O. is a completely different person, and receiver.

He knows the lines between stupidity and reality.....and crosses them frequently if you are correct......

Chucker44
01-27-2005, 03:44 PM
No, we don't know how TO is progressing. But you stated a 50% TO.

I think the Eagles have a better chance of winning with a 100% reciever than a 50% TO.

Just like the Esks did better with a 100% Mills than a 50% Avery, when Avery is/was clearly the better player.

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 04:15 PM
The only reason I said 50% T.O. is because that's where I believe he is at right now, in another week I give him 75% tops, and IMO a 75% T.O. is better then a handful of receivers in the league.

Besides, If T.O. thinks he will be a hindrence to the Philly Eagles, he won't play, he will only play if he knows he can help the team win.

Atleast that's what I think.

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 04:16 PM
....and crosses them frequently if you are correct......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think Randy Moss crosses them frequently, T.O. however is just having a bit of fun, I wish people would lay off of the poor guy.

earl2
01-27-2005, 07:59 PM
If T.O. thinks he will be a hindrence to the Philly Eagles, he won't play

I'm not so sure of that. T.O. has always been a me-first guy.

Esks4ever
01-27-2005, 08:18 PM

Besides, If T.O. thinks he will be a hindrence to the Philly Eagles,

T.O. cant spell Hindrance, let alone be it :lol:

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I'm not so sure of that. T.O. has always been a me-first guy.

Are we watching the same player here? :)

earl2
01-27-2005, 09:53 PM
Are we watching the same player here? :)
Well the T.O. I know is a media-whore and a showboat. He quit on the 49ers and refused to play for the Ravens. He demanded to be traded-but only to the Eagles. He bad-mouthed his ex teammate (Garcia) publicly and questioned his sexuality. And that's just in the last 12 months... :rolleyes:

esklover
01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
Fresh off the presses...off TO's website, which I frequent regularily. He comes on-line and answers questions from fans...

TO are you willing to risk your career on this gam, game?
Track this topic | Email this topic | Print this topic
Banana03 Posted: Jan 27 2005, 11:20 PM

I dont think you realize that you can jepordize your career, and really mess up your leg for the rest of your life for after your career. Plus you might not even win, but hopefully you dont get injured again in the super bowl.

TO Posted: Jan 27 2005, 11:22 PM

DO U BELIEVE N MIRACLES OR BETTER YET, DO U BELIEVE N GOD?

What do you think he means by this? I think he is going to do whatever he can to get on that field....

esklover
01-27-2005, 10:28 PM
I guess he really thinks he will be able to play - he just posted.....

THANX! I'M PLAYIN, SO STAY TUNED!!!

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 11:29 PM
Well the T.O. I know is a media-whore and a showboat. He quit on the 49ers and refused to play for the Ravens. He demanded to be traded-but only to the Eagles. He bad-mouthed his ex teammate (Garcia) publicly and questioned his sexuality. And that's just in the last 12 months... :rolleyes:

He likes attention, so what? He's a big-time receiver who makes the big play for his team, he deserves a bit of attention.

As for the 49ers, that was his decision, once again there could have been many inner feuds and T.O. wanted out because he wasn't happy.

As for the Ravens, I have no comment.

As for the Garcia incident, these two had a feud for a long time and IMO it was wrong for T.O. to question Garcia's sexuality, but who knows what was said to T.O.

Edmonton Fan
01-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Good for him, I hope he brings the Patriots back down to earth. :)

Opus
01-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Patsy's win in a walk.......Philly's D will have to play huge just to keep this one close IMO.....

Chucker44
01-28-2005, 08:46 AM
I think he is going to do whatever he can to get on that field....

For the big game, I think any player would do whatever it takes to take the field.

lloyd
01-28-2005, 12:11 PM
Best off letting a receiver who can actually go 100% suit up. It hurts the team if he cant play his best... but then again when has the team ever concerned TO.

Edmonton Fan
01-28-2005, 12:59 PM
We'll see Fishman, I'm still taking Philly by 3.

New England will never hear the word 'dynasty' associated with there team after this game.

Opus
01-28-2005, 01:04 PM

New England will never hear the word 'dynasty' associated with there team after this game.well, you have to start by winning at least one first ;) which the Patsy's have done x 2......

The last few years I've considered the Eagles a poor man's Buffalo Bills who can't win the Championship game, but at least they made it there this year :D ;)

Chucker44
01-28-2005, 01:15 PM

New England will never hear the word 'dynasty' associated with there team after this game.

I think that's what Brady keeps hearing ... that he's not a top QB and the Pats will never be a dynasty.

That is some pretty big motivation. Brady defends himself by his play - not his words.

Then again, McNabb hears the same thing and he look pretty motivated after the NFC Champ.

I wish they didn't take a two week break.

Opus
01-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Brady defends himself by his play - not his words.

8-0 postseason record.......pretty damn good way to defend yourself too :thup:

Edmonton Fan
01-28-2005, 01:50 PM
Soon to be 8-1. :lol: :lol:

Opus
01-28-2005, 02:23 PM
Soon to be 8-1. :lol: :lol:I'm sure Payton thought it would be 6-1, Rosthlesberger likely thought he would still be undefeated too, but neither of those seemed to work out so well.....