PDA

View Full Version : Gatti eyes bout with Mayweather

Diesel
01-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Associated Press

1/30/2005

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP) - Arturo Gatti is headed for a showdown with Floyd Mayweather.

The WBC's 140-pound champion did his part Saturday night to set the stage for the fight. Gatti (39-6) knocked out ''Jesse'' James Leija in the fifth round of a scheduled 12-round bout.

''I want to be the best pound-for-pound at 140,'' the Montreal fighter said Saturday after manhandling a game but overmatched Leija (47-7-2).

A pay-per-view fight pitting the popular brawler and the quick, crafty Mayweather has been tentatively set for June 11.

Mayweather (33-0), a former WBC super featherweight and lightweight champion, was equally dominant in his last outing, stopping Henry Bruseles in the eighth round Jan. 23.

Gatti, who made $2 million for the second defence of his WBC title to Leija's $700,000, was unfazed when Mayweather didn't show for a post-fight news conference announcing their fight.

''He's not the one that's going to sell tickets anyway,'' Gatti said. ''That's the truth.''

Indeed, it's Gatti - box-office gold in Atlantic City in recent years - who consistently puts bodies in the seats at Boardwalk Hall.

His last five fights here have all drawn 11,000 or more, including a sellout crowd of 12,599 on Saturday night.

Keeping his distance in the early rounds, Gatti boxed defensively, wary of any surprises by the 38-year-old Leija, who said before the fight he hoped to use Gatti's aggressiveness against him.

''He's crafty and I expected the way to beat him was to use the jab,'' Gatti said. ''I stayed on the outside because of his experience. I wanted to stay on the outside. Once I started landing the right hand, that made the difference.''

In the fifth, he knocked Leija down with a hard right to the head that was the beginning of the end. Dazed, Leija took a 9 count, barely getting to his feet before referee Earl Brown could count him out.

Gatti finished him with left hand to the ear. Leija got to his knees but Brown counted him out at 1:48 of the fifth, depriving the fans of one of the gory, down-to-the-wire brawls they usually get from Gatti.

''I won the fight and didn't have to go to the hospital. That's a big plus for me,'' said the 32-year-old Gatti, who now resides in Jersey City, N.J.

Leija, meanwhile, sounded like a fighter ready to call it quits.

''I think my body is talking to me more,'' he said after the fight. ''I'm 38 years old. I can't wait to get home and be a husband and daddy again.''

Opus
01-31-2005, 03:04 PM
I watched the fight live this weekend.....good tilt, I'm not sure if Gatti has the parts to go against Mayweather, but it would be interesting to see which Gatti would come out against him.....the warrior or the boxer.....

Diesel
01-31-2005, 03:20 PM
Mayweather has amazing hand speed but Gatti has shown he can take a beating and has the heart of a warrior. Gatti would be the underdog in that fight.

Opus
01-31-2005, 03:33 PM
I agree.....Gatti did throw an average of 45 jabs per round in that fight, he certainly is trying to be a boxer, I don't think that he'll be able to handle someone with the size, speed, and finesse as Floyd.....

Esks4ever
01-31-2005, 07:58 PM
Woohooo that'll be a hellva' tilt ! :thup:

Evil Dr. Len
02-01-2005, 05:27 AM
I miss Tyson :wiggle:

Esks4ever
02-01-2005, 07:16 AM

I do too...I thought he was a great boxer... well when he was younger...

Diesel
02-01-2005, 08:30 AM

I miss him being in jail.

Opus
02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
I miss him being in jail.as do I.....was happy not hearing about the low-life scumbag

Esks4ever
02-01-2005, 10:21 AM
as do I.....was happy not hearing about the low-life scumbag

he was a good boxer, before he turned into the scumbag...thats what I refering to.. I thought he was good before all that crap hit....now, well now he's just lost....

Opus
02-01-2005, 10:24 AM
actually he came up as a scum bag....it was just obscured by the bright lights and shiny belts....once the limelight dimmed he was seen by the public for the cockroach he is....

Esks4ever
02-01-2005, 10:30 AM
actually he came up as a scum bag....it was just obscured by the bright lights and shiny belts....once the limelight dimmed he was seen by the public for the cockroach he is....

I didn't know he was a scum bag beforehand.. when he was beating the hell out of boxers is when i started getting into boxing.. would I have known about his actions before , i wouldn't have though he was good..

but nowadays i perfer middleweight bouts myselfs

Opus
02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
Tyson killed heavyweight bouts for me....they were all poorly rigged (too damn noticeable - this is when King really came into public prominance)....

Lennox brought back the love of a heavyweight fight for me....his power and skill was something to behold, he was the most surgeon-like big man since Ali IMO....

Nowadays it is the smaller fighters that hold my interest....scrappers who actually throw more than a dozen punches in a round.

Esks4ever
02-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Nowadays it is the smaller fighters that hold my interest....scrappers who actually throw more than a dozen punches in a round.

exactly....by far the more entertaining fights...