PDA

View Full Version : Khari out to lunch?

Sniper_Fire
02-18-2005, 08:05 AM
Just a fun opinion thread :) -
After Copeland signed in Calgary, he immediately during the press conference made allusions to the Stamps bringing in Burris. Khari Jones, who was at the press conference, heard this & had these angry words to say:
"If that's who they want, they should go after him and get him and just release me, that's fine," fumed the former MVP quarterback traded to Calgary from Winnipeg last fall by the previous regime.
"I think it's insulting when I've done everything individually that a quarterback can do in this league and I feel comfortable with myself and the things I can do. I've been MVP. I've won over 10 games, multiple years in a row. I've been to the Grey Cup, so those are things I stand behind. Now it's insulting to think I'll play second fiddle to just about anyone in this league.
If that's who they want, they should go after him and release me."
Just my take, but I think Khari looks, reacts & throws like he is showing his age. Should the Stamps sign Burris, realistically his options at starting QB would be limited - perhaps Hamilton, Ottawa, and an outside chance of Saskatchewan might be interested in this guy - and none of them will offer anywhere near what he is making now.
My question: What is your take on Khari, where do you think he will go & how much will he be offered to go there?

Cheers,
Sniper_Fire :fire:

Opus
02-18-2005, 08:28 AM
If he gets cut, I'd take him on as a #2 QB (at a greatly reduced salary) in a heartbeat....

GITC
02-18-2005, 09:13 AM
Sounds like this Copeland is a real rocket scientist, saying things like that with the incumbant at QB and his new teammate standing a short distance away. That'll be a nice dressing room to walk into if Jones ends up staying there. :sure:

defend_tha_turf
02-18-2005, 09:41 AM
did it say what copeland was saying???

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 09:52 AM
Copeland said something to the extent of: It would sure be nice to have another QB throwing me balls this season.

Obviously a hint at Henry Burris to hurry up and sign in Cowtown.

gizmo fan 2
02-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I never thought Copeland was all that smart.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Khari go to Hamilton...I think SSK will stick with Nealon if Burris signs elsewhere (CGY), and OTT has a couple of young QBs with potential (KJ, Banks).

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 10:29 AM
His showboating last year really rubbed some people the wrong way as well.

Chucker44
02-18-2005, 10:32 AM
Khari as a backup to Maas? No way.

"Now it's insulting to think I'll play second fiddle to just about anyone in this league."

The Esks are not hurting for a starter. A back-up, yes. Other teams need Khari more than we do.

Opus
02-18-2005, 10:37 AM
Khari as a backup to Maas? No way.

"Now it's insulting to think I'll play second fiddle to just about anyone in this league."

The Esks are not hurting for a starter. A back-up, yes. Other teams need Khari more than we do.oh I agree, he is a quality Qb though still......

Esks4ever
02-18-2005, 11:00 AM
If he gets cut, I'd take him on as a #2 QB (at a greatly reduced salary) in a heartbeat....

same here...better than crandell

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 11:03 AM
I don't blame Khari for not wanting to play second string, in my opinion he has been treated poorly ever since he arrived in Cowtown.

MEEZY
02-18-2005, 12:09 PM
My take on this:

First of all, is it possible that Khari could be misinterpreting Copeland's words? I don't know the exact context in which Copeland spoke, but is it not possible that he meant he was happy to have a different QB this year (Jones) as opposed to last year (Calvillo)? I doubt he would think that Calvillo is better than Jones, but at the same time, he could just be extending praise to his new organization. I don't know...

Also, Jones would never go anywhere where he would be the backup. So the thought of him coming to the Esks is out of the question.

Finally, and this sort of contradicts my first point, but Copeland has always seemed arrogant and outspoken. If this is indeed true, it certainly fits with his showboating behaviour exhibited on the field...

56Parkies
02-18-2005, 12:15 PM
I think the point the original topic had, was Jones said he'd never go anywhere where he'd be the #2 guy.. where does he see himself going where he'd be #1..?

Angelus
02-18-2005, 01:05 PM
My take on this:

First of all, is it possible that Khari could be misinterpreting Copeland's words? I don't know the exact context in which Copeland spoke, but is it not possible that he meant he was happy to have a different QB this year (Jones) as opposed to last year (Calvillo)? I doubt he would think that Calvillo is better than Jones, but at the same time, he could just be extending praise to his new organization. I don't know...
No, I saw the press conference (some of it) and Copeland was definitely referring to Burris. They even made a joke that it's not longer tampering...

chyep
02-18-2005, 08:07 PM
It was very sad. Particulary when the QB he was talking about doesn't even look like an upgrade. KJ deserves much better.