PDA

View Full Version : New CFL site

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 09:34 AM
We're Moving!

After many great years as part of CANOE's Slam Sports Network, cfl.ca is moving on to a brand new site in April.

The move to our new independent home will include more and better content on Canadian football at all levels. New technologies, more interaction and quicker response times are all part of the plan. The first source for news, the deepest insight on the game and issues facing it, full engagement with the personalities on and off the field, new entertainment features and the very best fan forums will make this the undisputed home of Canadian football. Development is also underway on a brand new French language site for launch in 2005. Finally, and long overdue, there will be excellent content in both of Canada's official languages.

We continue to break new ground in our partnership with Sun Microsystems and will bring the power of this partnership to life in our new online environment.

We invite you to join with us in building the very best cfl.ca. What is important to you? What do you expect from your site? How can we ensure that cfl.ca is your home for all that is great about Canadian football? Click here Send in your thoughts, your needs, your wants to the CFL.ca web team!

Here's to great new things ahead...

Opus
02-18-2005, 09:56 AM
here's to them fixing a site that has been widely regarded as a joke for a long time :beer:

GITC
02-18-2005, 10:20 AM
Isn't this announcement very similar to the one they put out when they re-upped with Slam a year or two ago. There was much hype about the site they have now and it sucks donkey......

I'll put in my two cents for them but I'll believe all the hype when I see a product that even remotely lives up to the billing. :rolleyes:

TurfToe
02-18-2005, 10:37 AM
The difference is that Slam (= Canoe = SunMedia) never really had the resources to make cfl.ca a great site. I knew that the relationship with Slam was coming to an end, I just didn't think it was this soon.

The new site, as an "independent home", will have dedicated staff for site upkeep and content. They will also be able to run the site as a true league site (you can bet they've been checking out the league sites of other pro sports) as opposed to a 'jury-rigged' extension of the Canoe site.

Bit of background... in the mid 90s I had been doing some promo and marketing work with Sun Media. I got involved with Canoe and even contemplated a jump there as things were looking very rosy. Then came all the ownership changes at SunMedia. Canoe shelved it's growth plans. I was glad I hadn't pursued that! Then came Quebecor and Canoe almost ceased to exist. Through all of this cfl.ca was treated like the red-headed stepchild. Canoe and Slam became more extensions of SunMedia's print than the 'new media' company that had been envisioned. This condition has continued to this day and something tells me that Canoe is breathing a sigh of relief (behind closed doors, of course!) that they'll no longer be responsible for cfl.ca.

Rival
02-18-2005, 11:07 AM
This is good news. The site had gotten a little better last year but it is still not great.

lloyd
02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
I'll be impressed when I see it.

Evil Dr. Len
02-20-2005, 10:39 AM
The past two seasons, fans sites have WAY more informative than the CFL Home site...

with the working protype being out there in the NFL.com, in-game coverage is by far the area most lacking in the CFL ... I've personally done play by play's of game before at 13thman, and there have been informative game threads here through last season's games...

thus far, the CFL sites (including TSN.ca) have failed to keep their live game scores to within half a quarter while fansites including this one stay practically up to the minute...

I hope this new site stays at least as up-to-date as the fan sites when it comes to live game coverage or else personally I'll consider it a failure.

TurfToe
02-20-2005, 12:03 PM
The past two seasons, fans sites have WAY more informative than the CFL Home site...

with the working protype being out there in the NFL.com, in-game coverage is by far the area most lacking in the CFL ... I've personally done play by play's of game before at 13thman, and there have been informative game threads here through last season's games...

thus far, the CFL sites (including TSN.ca) have failed to keep their live game scores to within half a quarter while fansites including this one stay practically up to the minute...

I hope this new site stays at least as up-to-date as the fan sites when it comes to live game coverage or else personally I'll consider it a failure.
True dat! For EE games that aren't televised my only option is to listen to the live feed from 630 Ched because updates are slow to come by. Flip side is that I don't have to do that too often so it is kinda fun... in a nostalgia kind of way.
"Hold on a second Farlie, something's goin' on down there!" - Bryan Hall.

Esks4ever
02-20-2005, 12:41 PM
I've been very un-impressed with www.cfl.ca's site for a long time... slow site, Info never updated.. like for instance if you wanted to go and check player stats...the current stats they have are for the 2002 Season! what the hell ?

I hope they have been looking at the NFL's website to see how to do it properly...And I also hope it debuts in April THIS YEAR not 2007.

TurfToe
02-20-2005, 01:54 PM
well yes it will be this year... the league has announced it's departure from Canoe. It wouldn't have done so if that contract expired next year.

The new site will be devoted to the CFL and manned by folks who's job it is to keep info current. On the old Canoe site the folks updating the info were also updating info for their other customers (which include all of the papers from SunMedia Corp as well as several companies and a couple of CFL teams).

Sun Microsystems is involved in the new site - part of the sponsorship deal that they came with a year or so ago.

esks4life
02-20-2005, 04:52 PM
"Hold on a second Farlie, something's goin' on down there!" - Bryan Hall.
:lol:

TurfToe
02-20-2005, 05:07 PM
:lol:
And you could always tell by the fan noise in the background that they had missed the TD! too funny.

gizmo fan 2
02-20-2005, 05:19 PM
And you could always tell by the fan noise in the background that they had missed the TD! too funny.

:lol: That reminds me of one call during the exhibition...must have been 02, when Ron Williams and Avery were both at RB here.

Anyways (paraphrasing, I can't remember it exactly), a run by Avery...

Hall: "And here's the handoff, it's to Williams, finds a hole, goes to the 45-40-35-30, brought down at the 28, great run by Ron Williams"

Farlie: "Actually, Bryan, I think that was the newcomer John Avery with that run"

Hall: "No, Farlie, it was Ron Williams with the ball on that play"

Farlie: "No, Bryan, I'm quite sure it was John Avery"

Hall: "Be quiet, Farlie, I saw the play, you couldn't see the play, it was Ron Williams...you know folks, Tony Roma's, we got bountiful beef ribs and riblings..."

:lol: It was quite funny. :thup: