PDA

View Full Version : Alouettes sign running back Jenkins

Esks4ever
02-18-2005, 11:43 AM
Alouettes sign running back Jenkins

Canadian Press

2/18/2005

The Montreal Alouettes signed running back Michael Jenkins to a one-year deal plus an option Friday, giving their already explosive offence another dimension on the ground.

Jenkins, 28, joins Eric Lapointe and Jonas Lewis in the Als backfield and would appear to spell the end of Autry Denson's stay with the club.

Denson led the Als with 772 rushing yards last season but was scratched from the East Division final loss to the Toronto Argonauts.

Jenkins missed all of last season with an ankle injury but has put up big numbers in the CFL in the past.

"Michael Jenkins is a dominant running back who brings a new dimension to our offence," general manager Jim Popp said in a release. "He has an explosive running style and can also catch the ball. He will be an asset to our already potent offence."

Jenkins began his CFL career with the Argonauts in 2000, when he was named the team's outstanding rookie after rushing for 1,050 yards.

He was the club's outstanding player after running for 1,484 yards and eight touchdowns on 271 carries.

Jenkins spent the 2002 season with the NFL's Houston Texans and came back to Toronto for 2003, when he gaining 814 yards and scored six touchdowns.

Esks4ever
02-18-2005, 11:44 AM
So if Denson is done with the Als, should we take a crack at him ?

esks4life
02-18-2005, 11:46 AM
I dont think we should. We have a lot of young guys already. We should see what they can do for us.

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Jenkins is a huge signing for Montreal, he will make an impact on their offence if he can return to form. I wish we would've got him, one of my favourite players in the league, he can break a game wide open.

Esks4ever
02-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Jenkins is like a young Pringle... sure he's had some injuries.. and I think he can be a hothead sometimes.. but he's a good Rb and he'll help ease the pain from losing Copeland..

esks4life
02-18-2005, 12:03 PM
Wonder how effective he will be coming off that ankle injury.

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 12:05 PM
I don't think he is a young Pringle, Pringle wasn't elusive like Jenkins, instead Pringle ran right over his defenders and because of that he struck fear into alot of CB's and FS's. Jenkins is more like a Avery type RB, he's very versatile.

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 12:06 PM
Wonder how effective he will be coming off that ankle injury.

Only time will tell, it's a gamble by Montreal, hence the short contract they offered him. But if he does light it up in 05, expect the Al's to throw some serious coin his way.

Esks4ever
02-18-2005, 12:07 PM
IIRC Jenkins is more a power back than a scat back.

Edmonton Fan
02-18-2005, 12:16 PM
IIRC Jenkins is more a power back than a scat back.

Maybe to an extent, I always recall him being a very versatile and elusive player who ran around defenders, and made the first tackler miss type of back.

lloyd
02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Jenkins is better than Denson, but never impressed me all that much. He gets alot of hype cause he played in the NFL.

MEEZY
02-18-2005, 01:01 PM
I agree with Esks4Ever. Jenkins definitely seems like more of a power back, although he does occassionally have surprisingly agile lateral movements.

Personally, I wouldn't want Jenkins. He has a history of injury, and besides, we're more in need of a scat back type.

TurfToe
02-18-2005, 02:06 PM
I watched Jenkins when he played with the Argos. I'd call him a 'Bash & Blast' running back. He's powerful enough to bash through the middle, but also has agility and quickness to blast past the line and into the secondary.

The fact that he didn't play at all makes him a bit of an unknown quantity, however.

I didn't mind what I saw of Denson. I certainly wouldn't mind the Esks bringing him into camp. He may not make the team, but if he does, it's nice to have a guy on your side with a grudge against the Als! ;)

gizmo fan 2
02-18-2005, 06:14 PM
I didn't mind what I saw of Denson. I certainly wouldn't mind the Esks bringing him into camp. He may not make the team, but if he does, it's nice to have a guy on your side with a grudge against the Als! ;)

Neither would I...the more RB competition at TC, the better. :thup:

eskimoses
02-18-2005, 09:05 PM
Denson is a better back than most realize... and his hands are pretty decent too! Given that Machokia really hasn't done much in signings and given our young group in the backfield I'd say sign Denson and let the real decisions be made in earnest during training camp. Guys always perform better when they have good compatition around them.

Evil Dr. Len
02-18-2005, 10:33 PM
I really liked what I saw of Denson last year...if possible, I'd like to see him have a shott here with the EE.

As for Jenkins, he's as stable as they come, unforetunately he can't seem to stay healthy