PDA

View Full Version : Who has improved the most through FA

GeeBrr
02-22-2005, 01:48 PM
I would say right now:
Toronto-signing their own is huge
Calgary-an upgrade over almost anyone they had on offense is an improvement, solid OL, and DB signings
Winnipeg- signed their own key FA's, added some really intriguing FA's
Edmonton- Getting Hervey back was good, Whiltshire was a good pickup, Beaton was nice as well although not a FA

with the rest of the pack pretty much even.

Not going for whose team is where here, just who has filled more holes as to date. :thup:

Esks4ever
02-22-2005, 01:50 PM
without doing any indepth reading.. I'd say

Calgary
Toronto
Edmonton
Winterpeg
Montreal

then the rest

Esks4ever
02-22-2005, 01:51 PM
oh and..Tagged ya.... :D

GeeBrr
02-22-2005, 01:53 PM
I always forget that :wham: Montreal has made some nice signings as well. Forgot about Fritz and Durden.

Esks4ever
02-22-2005, 01:55 PM
I always forget that :wham: Montreal has made some nice signings as well. Forgot about Fritz and Durden.

And Jenkins :)

GeeBrr
02-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Touche, although I am not sold Jenkins can regain his old form.

Esks4ever
02-22-2005, 01:58 PM
Touche, although I am not sold Jenkins can regain his old form.

he may or maynot have.. but we both know he can run, and with him the Als have a running game that has to be respected...

GeeBrr
02-22-2005, 02:32 PM
I agree, but he was a big guy before, hopefully he doesnt come into camp at like 260 if I am an Als fan...which I will never be.

Opus
02-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I think the best way to judge this is by looking at who has adressed more of the problem areas than the other teams....

Calgary - didn't need an upgrade at QB (if/and/when they sign Burris...IMO him and Khari at this stage is a push), sure they've been making the biggest waves in the FA market, but I don't know if they've adressed all of their issues...O-Line being the largest

Winnipeg - has addressed more weak spots than most with exception to Edmonton. They are taking the same approach as well....do it quiet and under the radar, find the quality without swinging for the fences.

Edmonton - as previously stated, have stayed under the radar as far as many of the big names go, but have instead brought in plenty of good quality in areas that were a weakness (NI depth, O-Line, LB) and have done so by keeping the guys they've needed and signing guys that others may have been overlooking.

Toronto - Haven't done anything spectacular, but seem to have managed to keep their Grey Cup roster intact. The only problem is that their offense still has not planned for life without Allen, even at it's best it was middle of the pack. That defense will be under more pressure this year as all teams will adjust and out scheme the 3-4...

Montreal - have done better than T.O on the strength of the Calvillo signing alone, if you can get the best QB in the league to extend his contract you're allready ahead of the game. The fact that they still have solid componants every where else will make up for the loss of Copeland, after all he was only one of the four 1000 yard receivers they had last year and they could still get Anderson back as well.....

Everone else - Have dipped some toes, but are pretty much status quo, much like the Argos.....

gizmo fan 2
02-22-2005, 04:09 PM
I think the best way to judge this is by looking at who has adressed more of the problem areas than the other teams....

Calgary - didn't need an upgrade at QB (if/and/when they sign Burris...IMO him and Khari at this stage is a push), sure they've been making the biggest waves in the FA market, but I don't know if they've adressed all of their issues...O-Line being the largest

Winnipeg - has addressed more weak spots than most with exception to Edmonton. They are taking the same approach as well....do it quiet and under the radar, find the quality without swinging for the fences.

Edmonton - as previously stated, have stayed under the radar as far as many of the big names go, but have instead brought in plenty of good quality in areas that were a weakness (NI depth, O-Line, LB) and have done so by keeping the guys they've needed and signing guys that others may have been overlooking.

Toronto - Haven't done anything spectacular, but seem to have managed to keep their Grey Cup roster intact. The only problem is that their offense still has not planned for life without Allen, even at it's best it was middle of the pack. That defense will be under more pressure this year as all teams will adjust and out scheme the 3-4...

Montreal - have done better than T.O on the strength of the Calvillo signing alone, if you can get the best QB in the league to extend his contract you're allready ahead of the game. The fact that they still have solid componants every where else will make up for the loss of Copeland, after all he was only one of the four 1000 yard receivers they had last year and they could still get Anderson back as well.....

Everone else - Have dipped some toes, but are pretty much status quo, much like the Argos.....

That's my ranking too. :thup:

Edmonton Fan
02-22-2005, 05:21 PM
I think Calgary has improved the most through free agency, they've adressed areas for concern on offence and defence.