PDA

View Full Version : Cuthbert Axed...Marty York Next?

Angelus
02-23-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm sure you've all heard about Chris Cuthbert being let go from the CBC. Now there are rumors that Marty York has been canned by Sportsnet. No official word yet...but he hasn't written an article since his proclomation regarding Burris signing with the Stamps for 1.2 mil. That article is nowhere to be found on sportsnet.ca and it appears that all articles from York have been removed. I can find no mention of York at all anywhere on the website...

56Parkies
02-23-2005, 12:05 PM
Cuthbert will land on his feet. Dunno if you can say the same for everyone's favourite CFL reporter, York..

Chucker44
02-23-2005, 12:14 PM
Maybe he can take Vicki Hall's job ;)

56Parkies
02-23-2005, 12:18 PM
I dunno.. anyone ever see the two of them standing next together...?

coincidence?

;)

Muley69
02-23-2005, 12:22 PM
I can see the scoop now...

Sources have told Eskfans.com's Angelus that Marty York has been fired and an official announcement can be expected within days....

:shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh:

56Parkies
02-23-2005, 12:24 PM
:lol:

Rep for that one!

:beer:

Angelus
02-23-2005, 12:26 PM
I can see the scoop now...

Sources have told Eskfans.com's Angelus that Marty York has been fired and an official announcement can be expected within days....

:shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :shh: :lol:

I can't take credit for this "scoop"...

3rd Down posted it at 13thman. He said J Paul McConnell broke the story out of Winnipeg at the coaches meetings.

Jtuck09
02-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Dont tease me!!

Nanookster
02-23-2005, 12:35 PM
You mean to say I'm going to suffer from less headaches this year?

Too bad about Cuthbert though.

TurfToe
02-23-2005, 12:54 PM
As would be expected, I'm keeping a low profile on this...

To the casual observer when stuff like this happens it's often considered as 'he had it coming'. To someone who works with and watches the media (the people, not the news) I see different things in situations. No, not dead people! :p

At this point... I'm watching... and listening! ;)

One quick comment... Marty couldn't be fired for reporting something like Burris' discussions and/or possible salary with the Stamps. If a source said it then it can be used. Period. And under law sources can be protected (unless the reporter is required to provide information under oath in a court of law because of a criminal investigation). People in and around sports need to learn to keep their mouths shut more often! If somebody told him something and asked him to keep it quiet, yet he reported it, all he's done is broken his word - and ticked someone off! Truth is, much of the media (including blogs) thrives on this.

If someone tries to fire a reporter for reporting something, then that company will be hit with a wrongful dismissal suit. Plain and simple.

If the reporting is shown to be false or incorrect, that has to be proven through something called The Press Council. If something is considered libel litigation may ensue. These don't automatically lead to dismissal. Retractions, corrections, apologies, etc. are announced/printed and disciplinary action can take place (including dismissal) but this takes a while.

If, however there is a 'difference of opinion' over conduct, ethics, etc. that can find you the door pretty quickly. Just like Dave Hodge and the infamous 'pencil flip' on HNIC.

edit... that was a quick comment? yikes I'm being wordy these days! sorry folks!

esks4life
02-23-2005, 12:56 PM
What was the reason for Cuthberts firing? I always thought he was a decent commentator.

Esks4ever
02-23-2005, 01:15 PM
York gone....... can Christmas come twice ? :D

Muley69
02-23-2005, 01:25 PM
What was the reason for Cuthberts firing? I always thought he was a decent commentator.

I thought he was GREAT for the CFL and even better at calling hockey games. No doubt that he was laid off rather than fired.

If there is no work for him, the company is not obligated to continue to pay a salary -- hence, "laid off" -- but I doubt that they can (or that they did) actually fire him.

Germany25
02-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Cuthbert is better than John Wells over at TSN, only reason CBC sucks is their panel and their color man.
Maybe TSN will pick him up and retire Wells. Thats what I would do.

Angelus
02-23-2005, 01:37 PM
According to Mike Hogan, Marty's contract with Sportsnet expired and was not renewed.

Diesel
02-23-2005, 01:42 PM
York's gonzo? SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!! WHOOHOOOOOOOO! TAKE THAT STUPID FINGER POINTING THING AND STICK IT!!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Germany25
02-23-2005, 01:43 PM
York's gonzo? SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!! WHOOHOOOOOOOO! TAKE THAT STUPID FINGER POINTING THING AND STICK IT!!!!!!!!!! :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:

:thup:

esks4life
02-23-2005, 02:00 PM
I thought he was GREAT for the CFL and even better at calling hockey games. No doubt that he was laid off rather than fired.

If there is no work for him, the company is not obligated to continue to pay a salary -- hence, "laid off" -- but I doubt that they can (or that they did) actually fire him.
I understand the being laid off for the hockey situation but I meant more for the CFL. But like someone else said he should go to TSN and replace that butthole John Wells.

Esks4ever
02-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Yep everyone of his stories where he had said " his sources" told him.. are all removed.. but some of the articles he made are still there...like Jenkins signing on with Als... real stories not garbage.

Esks4ever
02-23-2005, 02:02 PM

Thats what I think too :)

WHOHOOOOOOOO

:beer:

Opus
02-23-2005, 02:44 PM
awwwwww, this is just awful news......:lol:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Chucker44
02-23-2005, 02:45 PM
I hope Darren Flutie is the next one to go.

eskimoses
02-23-2005, 03:41 PM
Marty York... canned????

THERE IS A GOD... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
That guy is a putz and should'a been yanked along time ago.

As for Cuthbertson, trust CBC to get rid of the only announcer that shows some emotion when he is calling a game and is someone who doesn't babble on incessently about nothin' when they are supposed to keep you(and themselves) focused on the game... RE: Chris Walby!!!!!
While his football knowledge on specific issues may not have been as great as people like Walby... Cuthbertson had a far superior style and presence that actually made you forget you were watchung a CBC program!!
Yep, only in Canada.......

Edmonton Fan
02-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Marty gone? that just seems too good to be true.

Soudog
02-23-2005, 08:28 PM
Marty York... canned????

THERE IS A GOD... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!
That guy is a putz and should'a been yanked along time ago.

As for Cuthbertson, trust CBC to get rid of the only announcer that shows some emotion when he is calling a game and is someone who doesn't babble on incessently about nothin' when they are supposed to keep you(and themselves) focused on the game... RE: Chris Walby!!!!!
While his football knowledge on specific issues may not have been as great as people like Walby... Cuthbertson had a far superior style and presence that actually made you forget you were watchung a CBC program!!
Yep, only in Canada.......

Uhhh... that's "Cuthbert", not "Cuthbertson" :thup:

Evil Dr. Len
02-24-2005, 07:27 AM
York gone :D what a shame :3: I'll miss his bullcrap :box:

Esks4ever
02-24-2005, 08:32 AM
York gone :D what a shame :3: :

ya its a tradegy isn't it :lol:

Edmonton Fan
02-24-2005, 09:00 AM
I think I may be able to finally watch a CFL game on the sportsnet now.

Nanookster
02-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Is it official that "Dork York" is gone yet?

It feels like Christmas!!!!

esks4life
02-24-2005, 11:58 AM
I think I may be able to finally watch a CFL game on the sportsnet now.
That reminds me. I wonder if Sportsnet will show more games this year and not just Rider, Bomber and Argo games... :rolleyes:

Chucker44
02-24-2005, 12:23 PM
That reminds me. I wonder if Sportsnet will show more games this year and not just Rider, Bomber and Argo games... :rolleyes:

I hope not.

I don't get Sportsnet :(

gizmo fan 2
02-24-2005, 02:06 PM

:lol: That it does. :thup:

Angelus
02-24-2005, 08:17 PM

Yeah, it's official:

Thu, February 24, 2005

York gets the boot
By CP

TORONTO -- Marty York and Rogers Sportsnet are parting ways. A network spokesman said yesterday that York's contract ran out this week and Sportsnet decided not to renew it, electing to go in a "different direction." He had been with the network for five years.

York, 48, wrote a column for Sportsnet's website and appeared twice a week on his York Report segment on Sportsnet News.

The former Globe and Mail columnist leaves Sportsnet after making a splash earlier this month with a story from Vince Carter's mother that the former Raptor once got into a fight with Toronto coach Sam Mitchell.

The player and coach denied the story, as did fellow Raptor Alvin Williams, and Carter's mother later backtracked.

Esks4ever
02-24-2005, 09:35 PM
electing to go in a "different direction.

a more truthfull Direction ...