PDA

View Full Version : Stamps Press Conference - MAJOR Announcement

Angelus
02-25-2005, 10:25 AM
The Calgary Stampeders have called a press conference today which will take place at 1:30pm to make a MAJOR announcement. Stay tuned.

56Parkies
02-25-2005, 10:34 AM
If it ain't the signing of Smilin' Hank, I can't think what else they'd call "Major"..

Angelus
02-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Davis Sanchez? A trade for Dickenson?

Nah...it's gotta be Burris.

Diesel
02-25-2005, 10:39 AM
Ned learned a swear word........

Kaptain
02-25-2005, 10:47 AM
These bone heads couldn't afford Flutie in their hayday and now they are spending with reckless abandon again. Aparantly the few strong teams like the Esks will end up paying the bills again. It reminds me of a special I saw on TV a month or so ago. Threre are only 2 financially stable provinces in all of Canada. Alberta and Ontario. These 2 provinces basically fork out money hand over foot for the rest of the country to survive and get very little back in return (especially Alberta). Seems that the rest of the league has learned from Canadian politics. Spend what you cant afford and if you get in trouble....well the good old Esks will pay the equalization payments.

Diesel
02-25-2005, 10:50 AM
if they do sign Burris, then Jones is gonzo so it's one contract for another really.

Opus
02-25-2005, 11:10 AM
if they do sign Burris, then Jones is gonzo so it's one contract for another really.pretty much....

Can't see it being anything other than Burris signing, there'll be hell to pay if they call anything else a "major" announcement at this stage of the game....

Rejean31
02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
These bone heads couldn't afford Flutie in their hayday and now they are spending with reckless abandon again. Aparantly the few strong teams like the Esks will end up paying the bills again. It reminds me of a special I saw on TV a month or so ago. Threre are only 2 financially stable provinces in all of Canada. Alberta and Ontario. These 2 provinces basically fork out money hand over foot for the rest of the country to survive and get very little back in return (especially Alberta). Seems that the rest of the league has learned from Canadian politics. Spend what you cant afford and if you get in trouble....well the good old Esks will pay the equalization payments.

Jones was slated to make 375 000 this year, so if the Stamps sign Burris for 350 000 they will release Jones and be saving 25 000 so saying they are spending with reckless abandon is a little false, dont you think??

Angelus
02-25-2005, 11:19 AM
Jones was slated to make 375 000 this year, so if the Stamps sign Burris for 350 000 they will release Jones and be saving 25 000 so saying they are spending with reckless abandon is a little false, dont you think??
You can't justify that. In my opinion, giving a guy 350K when he's proven nothing is spending with reckless abandon. It's just plain stupid. Whether they cut another contract or not is irrelevant.

Edmonton Fan
02-25-2005, 11:20 AM
Henry Burris no doubt.

Opus
Jones was slated to make 375 000 this year, so if the Stamps sign Burris for 350 000 they will release Jones and be saving 25 000 so saying they are spending with reckless abandon is a little false, dont you think??Jones is not slated to make 375k......he signed a 3 year deal for a mil....do the math, that's 333k per annum.....if Burris signs for 350k it will be 25-50k less than we've heard reports of....

Inquiring Mind
Yeah... they're not "spending".... they've "spent" with reckless abandon when they agreed to take Jones.

Opus
02-25-2005, 11:21 AM
Ned learned a swear word........he-diddely-eck? :lol:

lloyd
02-25-2005, 11:22 AM
$25,000 couldnt even sign you the last draft pick in the CFL draft. It's pretty reckless spending. Congratulations, you overpayed a quarterback by about $150,000 IMO. It could work out very well, or it could work out very bad, it was a $350,000 risk. I want to see how Hank performs with less talent around him, it will be the true judge of his talent if he can make the guys around him better, and for the stamps sake i hope he does. Either way I wish Hank all the luck in the world, thanks for a great year, and dont let the door hit your greedy ass on the way out!

Edmonton Fan
02-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Well, now the Stamps actually have a decent shot at a .500 season. :thup:

gizmo fan 2
02-25-2005, 11:35 AM
Well, now the Stamps actually have a decent shot at a .500 season. :thup:

Depends on which Hank shows up. :confused:

The second-half-of-last-season Hank, or the first-half Hank.

Jtuck09
02-25-2005, 11:37 AM
No guys...ITS THE ANNOUNCEMENT OF DARNELL KENNEDY!!

In all likelyhood, its the announcement of Henry Burris

Rejean31
02-25-2005, 11:46 AM
Jones is not slated to make 375k......he signed a 3 year deal for a mil....do the math, that's 333k per annum.....if Burris signs for 350k it will be 25-50k less than we've heard reports of....

Have you ever heard of front loaded contracts? I believe the 3 year deal for a million worked out like this. 1st year-375,000; 2nd year-375,000; 3rd year-250,000. Is that so hard to understand?

MEEZY
02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Well, it looks like my initial prediction of Burris staying with the Riders was wrong...

But don't get used to it, guys. It doesn't happen too often ;)

Edmonton Fan
02-25-2005, 11:48 AM
Have you ever heard of front loaded contracts? I believe the 3 year deal for a million worked out like this. 1st year-375,000; 2nd year-375,000; 3rd year-250,000. Is that so hard to understand?

You usually never have a contract like that in professional sports!

A drop of $125 000 in the final year of the contract?! Are you insane?

Rejean31
02-25-2005, 11:49 AM
Jones is not slated to make 375k......he signed a 3 year deal for a mil....do the math, that's 333k per annum.....if Burris signs for 350k it will be 25-50k less than we've heard reports of....

Yes and the Edmonton media was reporting that Copeland signed a 200,000 dollar deal in Calgary until Higgins was on the Fan 960 and said that that was false.

EsksDiehard1
02-25-2005, 11:53 AM
:lol: calgary sucks

Opus
02-25-2005, 11:55 AM
Have you ever heard of front loaded contracts? I believe the 3 year deal for a million worked out like this. 1st year-375,000; 2nd year-375,000; 3rd year-250,000. Is that so hard to understand?you can guess what it is all you like.....fact is all we know is that it was 3 years for 1mil...why not make it 400 - 300 - 300?......

Opus
02-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Yes and the Edmonton media was reporting that Copeland signed a 200,000 dollar deal in Calgary until Higgins was on the Fan 960 and said that that was false.bzzzzzzz, wrong answer.....not Edmonton Media, national media......that is the number everyone got.....

eskimoses
02-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Betcha it's Burris and that meams KJ is on his way East to Gades, Cats, or even back home to the 'peg !!
Sucks the Stamps have signed some really good guys... gee, couldn't have somethin' to do with the coach could it???

Opus
02-25-2005, 12:01 PM
Sucks the Stamps have signed some really good guys... gee, couldn't have somethin' to do with the coach could it???

No, it would have to do with money... the only exception to that might be with Chevrier only

Diesel
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Bingo!

56Parkies
02-25-2005, 12:05 PM
And in Copeland's case, Barker might have helped a bit, since they had a relationship from the MTL days. Sure wasn't Higgins!

56Parkies
02-25-2005, 12:06 PM
Betcha it's Burris and that meams KJ is on his way East to Gades, Cats, or even back home to the 'peg !!

I'd think Saskatchewan would be #1 going after him. Gades are going with Joseph as their #1, Danny Mac resigned with Hamilton (plus they've got Brady) and I think the BB are sticking with Glenn.

Of course, he's gonna have to take a major cut in pay no matter where he goes.

eskimoses
02-25-2005, 12:11 PM
Yep.. welcome to KRAFT DINNER like the rest of us KJ!!!

Esks4ever
02-25-2005, 12:14 PM
I think KJ is a better QB than Burris is. And I think Calgary would have been better off with KJ. Me thinks come middle of the season Stamps fans will be wishing they had KJ...

Well KJ come to Edmonton, you'd be a great back up :)

56Parkies
02-25-2005, 12:16 PM
Well KJ come to Edmonton, you'd be a great back up :)

Think he'd mind a $275K pay cut? :D

Esks4ever
02-25-2005, 12:20 PM
Think he'd mind a $275K pay cut? :D

Sure we could allways offer a front loaded contract :D

esks4life
02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
A Regina radio station was trying to prank call the Stampeders head office. The DJ was talking to Jim Barker. The DJ pretended to be Mike Sherman of the Packers. He wanted to know how the deal with Burris was shaping up. Barker claimed they have no details on that and that the press conference was to announce the upcoming schedule.

Diesel
02-25-2005, 01:32 PM
This puts the riders in a messy situation. They either suck it up and go with Greene or sign KJ and embroil themselves in another QB mess.

Angelus
02-25-2005, 01:34 PM
It's official: Burris is a Stampeder.

edit: Khari Jones has been released.

Esks4ever
02-25-2005, 01:41 PM
It's official: Burris is a Stampeder.

edit: Khari Jones has been released.

:lol: any word on how much they over paid him ?

Angelus
02-25-2005, 01:44 PM
No details. Henry did say it's long-term though...

Edmonton Fan
02-25-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, atleast all this talk of Henry going here, and Henry going there can be put behind us.

Esks4ever
02-25-2005, 02:24 PM
Yes the soap opera is over... well untill stamp fans start complaining about him...

Chucker44
02-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Its seems that Higgins and Henry's Stampeder connections go back at least to the 70's.

Opus
02-25-2005, 02:28 PM
well, they've got themselves some Sweet City Woman behind centre now.....:D

Nanookster
02-25-2005, 02:47 PM
I love it!!! Rider fans are heartbroken and Calgary is stuck with an overpaid third stringer!

Talk about taking out two birds with one stone!!!

Rider fans will be comparing this to the Gretzky trade!!!

Kaptain
02-25-2005, 03:14 PM
I love it!!! Rider fans are heartbroken and Calgary is stuck with an overpaid third stringer!

Talk about taking out two birds with one stone!!!

Rider fans will be comparing this to the Gretzky trade!!!

Oh thats too freaking funny Nanookster. Two birds with one stone :>)
Maybe they can offer October half a million for the one punt return for a touchdown he'll make per season. Talk about stupid. They would have been better off putting Dunnigan in as Quarterback. Ohh yah....they fired him too.
All I can say is that you stamps fans better pack that cheesy little stadiuim of yours to the roof each and every game (even when you're 5 games below 500) because the flagship to your north is sick of bailing out all these stupid teams who don't know how to build championships and just try buying them instead.

earl2
02-25-2005, 03:50 PM
I'm betting there's not a lot of happy campers in Rider-land today. (and probably a whole lot of salary-cap "discussion" going on as well...)

Rejean31
02-25-2005, 05:30 PM
Oh thats too freaking funny Nanookster. Two birds with one stone :>)
Maybe they can offer October half a million for the one punt return for a touchdown he'll make per season. Talk about stupid. They would have been better off putting Dunnigan in as Quarterback. Ohh yah....they fired him too.
All I can say is that you stamps fans better pack that cheesy little stadiuim of yours to the roof each and every game (even when you're 5 games below 500) because the flagship to your north is sick of bailing out all these stupid teams who don't know how to build championships and just try buying them instead.

What an absolute load of crap. Exactly how do the Eskimos bail these teams out? And exactly who was that team that in the previous five seasons or so went on a ridiculous spending spree of their own? Ronald Williams, Mike Pringle, Thomas Haskins, Mookie Mitchell, Winston October: they were all bought by the Eskimos. Hell, there was a time there in the previous four seasons that if a big name hit the free agent market you knew the Eskimos were going to sign them. So don't give me this crap about building champions because the Eskimos more than any other team are guilty of trying to buy a championship. Oh and congratulations, all that buying got you guys one Grey Cup.

Esks4ever
02-25-2005, 05:36 PM
Esks, as well as other teams have had to bail out, : Toronto, Ottawa, and I do believe Sask.

Inquiring Mind
02-25-2005, 06:09 PM
Caught some video of the press conference on the local news.... Burris was wearing a black cowboy hat..... don't think that'll go over well in Calgary him wearing Edmonton colours (hat colour, not football colours) :rolleyes:

My my thought, they had the riders play-by-play guy (Lynch) and did he every get on the soap box. Claimed that for the last fourty some odd years he's loathed the Eskimos for spanking the Riders in the '58 West Final..... until today.... now we're number two on his hate list.

Kaptain
02-25-2005, 10:22 PM
What an absolute load of crap. Exactly how do the Eskimos bail these teams out? And exactly who was that team that in the previous five seasons or so went on a ridiculous spending spree of their own? Ronald Williams, Mike Pringle, Thomas Haskins, Mookie Mitchell, Winston October: they were all bought by the Eskimos. Hell, there was a time there in the previous four seasons that if a big name hit the free agent market you knew the Eskimos were going to sign them. So don't give me this crap about building champions because the Eskimos more than any other team are guilty of trying to buy a championship. Oh and congratulations, all that buying got you guys one Grey Cup.

First of all Rejean...we got Pringle after we lost John Avery to the NFL. Pringle wasn't expensive niether was Williams (compared to what your paying Hank). Williams was let go because he was a cancer in the locker room so even though he was a capable player at least we had the guts to get rid of him on principle. Haskins never played a game for us because of a brain tumour so big deal. Edmonton has supplied tons of playesr to other teams that we refused to pay because they were ridiculous in what they were asking (ala John Avery). I'm proud the Esks weren't stupid enough to get into an assinine bidding war over Burris. At least Prigle achieved something (Grey cups) before we took him. And we only took him because Montreal dissed him for Lawrence Philips. On the other hand what has Burris done? Nothing. And you bone heads offer him Huge bucks that you can't afford. But the real point is that the Esks have never held their hand out for Cfl funds after the acting fiscally irresponsible. We won our last Grey cup on the back of a quarterback who got paid 40,000 and you Idiots are giving Burris over 300,000. YOu talk about us buying a Championship....who paid for Flutie after you guys outbid BC for his services and won a cup. Was it your old bankrupt owner of the time Larry Ryckman (Hmmm didn't he have legal problems)? No it wasn't pal...it was the league and the league gets most of its moolah off the backs of the most successful franchise...the Edmonton Eskimo's. We don;t have to BRIBE good players to come here like Calgary does. They love the real grass, the best stadium in the league and playing in front of huge crowds. Thats why they come and thats how we can afford more than our share of talented players. We don't give copius amounts of cash to 3 players and try to build a team around them...we pay a lot of good player's well. But we can afford it.

Kaptain
02-25-2005, 10:50 PM
Pay close attention to the last paragraph Calgary fans.

Prelim set for Ryckman
Last Updated Nov 24 2003 11:37 AM MST
CBC News
Calgary – Former Stampeders owner Larry Ryckman will have a preliminary hearing on two fraud charges heard next October.

The four-week hearing will determine whether there is enough evidence for the case to proceed to trial.

Ryckman, who is in Phoenix and didn't attend court Monday to set the date, has elected a trial by judge and jury.

"He's still in Phoenix working, he's there with his family," his lawyer Earl Wilson said. "Obviously he continues to be quite anxious about it and now has to just wait for time to unfold."

The charges stem from a 1994 incident, when police allege that Ryckman gave 600,000 shares of Aabbax International Financial Corporation to two employees. Police say the company wasn't paid for those shares, which were worth $1.15 each at the time.

In 1996, the Vancouver Stock Exchange contacted the Calgary RCMP commercial crime section with allegations that there had been security violations by Ryckman's company. That investigation led to two charges of fraud over $5,000 against Ryckman.

Ryckman bought the Stampeders in 1991, saving the then community-owned club from its financial troubles. The roles were reversed five years later when Ryckman's company went into receivership and the CFL had to step in and keep the football team afloat until a new owner was found.

Kaptain
02-25-2005, 11:03 PM
Another interesting article to back up my point. I made "bold" the most interesting points. read on

.................................................. .................................................. .......

The Last Word
With or without the Argos, the CFL faces many problems as franchises across the league wage a constant battle for survival.

By PERRY LEFKO -- Toronto Sun

Anyone who thinks humanely destroying the financially strapped Argos or mothballing them for a year or two until a new stadium complex is built is missing the bigger picture.

It is not good business for the Canadian Football League to lose a franchise, any franchise, least of all its oldest.

It certainly wouldn't look good for new commissioner Tom Wright, who is hopeful the Argos' troubled ownership can be resolved positively in a couple weeks.

Removing Toronto would balance the schedule with an even eight teams and give each one more money from television, licensing and other revenue streams, but to borrow a word from the lexicon of Argos coach Pinball Clemons, that's myopic.

There's a bigger picture than just the one that has been magnified in Toronto. It's the overall status of the league, which has some other crisis spots or areas of concern.

The Argos' peril has neatly shifted the focus from the situation in Hamilton, where the Tiger-Cats owners are trying to attract capital investment from new partners. There are whispers the perceived value of the franchise could be significantly damaged if the Argos are sold for a piddly sum, if anything at all. Not so long ago there was a Save The Tiger-Cats campaign. Judging by the fan apathy, the Tiger-Cats still need saving.

The Calgary Stampeders played host to the Argos in front of an announced crowd of 30,976 at McMahon Stadium on Saturday, but season-ticket sales are down about 10% from last year. If the Stamps continue to struggle on the field and the fans become increasingly frustrated with owner Michael Feterik and chief operating officer Fred Fateri, you have to wonder about the team's future.

Remember, this is a franchise with numerous financial problems in its past, so if it happened before it can happen again.

What about Ottawa? The Renegades are going through some growing pains on the field in the second year since the CFL's rebirth there. As long as the team is competitive, the fans will show support. But what if the team fails to show significant improvement? The previous problems with the franchise, which folded after the '96 season, could be blamed solely on questionable ownership and shoddy management. The commitment of the fans was never an issue, so the onus on the current owners and football bosses is to move positively forward.

What about Winnipeg? The business operation, headed by Lyle Bauer, has done a wonderful job fixing up the messy financial affairs from the past decade, but the Blue Bombers fans can turn ugly when the team isn't winning.

B.C. is operating only because owner David Braley has the financial wherewithal to pay the Lions' bills. Prior to Braley coming aboard midway in 1996, the team was on its deathbed, propped up by the league.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders came back from near disaster prior to the start of the 1997 season, supported by a telethon and monies received from the CFL deal with the NFL.

During the turbulent times of the past decade, the Edmonton Eskimos remained the league's only healthy franchise.

The Argos reached the point of near collapse after the 1999 season when Interbrew SA dumped the team in the league's lap. Nobody stepped forward in the Toronto business community knowing full well the team could not be successful in the SkyDome because of the high overhead -- and, no, we're not talking about the retractable roof -- and the fan indifference. It takes 35,000 in paid attendance for the Argos to break even every game.

Sherwood Schwarz, whose ownership the CFL revoked yesterday, was duped into believing he could make money when he bought the team 3 1/2 years ago.

The Argos' situation has underscored how the CFL is not doing as well as the positive off-season publicity suggested. The league did not receive the boffo television contract it wanted, despite increased viewership.

TRUE NUMBERS

Attendance may have increased last year, but who knows what the true numbers are versus the announced ones, and let's not discount there was one additional franchise. And corporate sponsorship may have risen, but that's only because it had been dramatically down in years past.

So, you can excise the the Argos at any time, either permanently or until a new stadium is built, or continue operating it with league assistance for the balance of the season and hope new ownership comes aboard next year, if not sooner. But let's not forget there are eight other teams in the league that are worth watching.

.................................................. .................................................. ...

Guess what folks. When the league has one healthy team who do you think does all the propping up of the other teams. Bankrupt teams can't help out other financially strapped teams.

Diesel
02-26-2005, 10:54 AM
Essentially what has happened in the past is that the esks wouldn't recieve their league money in order to help put out the fire of the day.

Rejean31
02-26-2005, 11:26 AM
Oh hooray for the Eskimos!!! I saw several times that the CFL had to bail clubs out. The CFL, not the Eskimos. And Kaptain you say the Eskimos pay a lot of good players well but they can afford it. What makes you think Calgary can't afford it. You all seem to forget that before Calgary spent in the free agent market they got rid of the contracts of McGarity, Connell, Crandell, T. Jones, Fields and now have also released Kahari. I'd be willing to bet that after their free agent signings their payroll has actually gone down.

Rejean31
02-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Sounds like a lot of sour grapes in here to me. You guys found anyone to be your defensive co-ordinater yet? :rofl:

esks4life
02-26-2005, 11:31 AM
Sounds like a lot of sour grapes in here to me. You guys found anyone to be your defensive co-ordinater yet? :rofl:
Sour grapes? I dont think Esks fans on here really cared whether or not Burris stayed in Sask or signed with Calgary. It was just a topic of conversation.

Diesel
02-26-2005, 12:16 PM
Don't matter who's your QB, we'll whup your hides regardless.

earl2
02-26-2005, 12:42 PM
The circus has left town. Get ready Eskie's. We're bringing it this year.

Bring it on. You guys have been letting your side of the Battle of Alberta down for too long now. I look forward to the Esks winning by less than 20.

Esks4ever
02-26-2005, 12:54 PM

There's no sour grapes.... We could care less if Burris signed in Calgary or in Sask - like others have said it was just a topic of conversation. Its just a shame your Stamps paid too much for an average QB.

As for the circus leaving town and you bringing it this season - I'm glad... I do enjoy the heated games between Edmonton and Calgary...the last few years where a joke , with us whipping your stamps.. may this season's rivalary be a gooder, and we'll win by 15 instead of the usual 30 or so :)

Angelus
02-26-2005, 12:56 PM
-265 and falling fast....

Esks4ever
02-26-2005, 12:57 PM
-265 and falling fast....

Ya i know.. i couldn't ding him again... soon though..soon :)

Kaptain
02-26-2005, 02:54 PM
Oh hooray for the Eskimos!!! I saw several times that the CFL had to bail clubs out. The CFL, not the Eskimos. And Kaptain you say the Eskimos pay a lot of good players well but they can afford it. What makes you think Calgary can't afford it. You all seem to forget that before Calgary spent in the free agent market they got rid of the contracts of McGarity, Connell, Crandell, T. Jones, Fields and now have also released Kahari. I'd be willing to bet that after their free agent signings their payroll has actually gone down.

Cant you read the article man! There is one healthy team in the league for the past decade. The Eskimos. Do you think that financially strapped teams can help out other financially strapped teams? Where do you think the league gets its money from pal. It gets it from the teams and since the rest of the teams are a burden, so to speak, the main pillar franchise has to flip the bills. What makes me think you cant afford your signings is this. First of all, what did it cost you guys to pay out Wally Buono( hundreds of thousands)? Matt Dunnigan? Khari Jones? Do you think you can just acquire all these employees and bail out on your promises to them without costing you any money? Plus you guys have missed the playoffs for how many years now? Because of this your whole franchise is obviously so desperate to get back into "contention" that they are buying blindly and over paying. No one in Edmonton is jealous in any stretch because you have Burris. We're mad because you raised the salary bar to a ridiculous level for a second string qb like him. My point was paying 3 players way too much isn't as smart as having an overall good team that has the payroll spread out. I don't think the Esks have ever paid anyone over 200,000...maybe even 150,000. Now every half ass QB in the league thinks he's worth $300,000 thanks to the Stamps.

PS...I actually hope you guys have a better team. Its been boring kicking your ass for so long.

Rejean31
02-26-2005, 09:44 PM
PS...I actually hope you guys have a better team. Its been boring kicking your ass for so long.

Too bad for you guys that you couldn't kick our ass in the one game that mattered over the last four years.

2001 Western Final: Calgary Stampeders 34 - Edmonton Eskimos 16. :rofl:

Muley69
02-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Hmmm. 2001...you were still in Junior high at that time, right?

Angelus
02-26-2005, 09:52 PM
Too bad for you guys that you couldn't kick our ass in the one game that mattered over the last four years.

It's not our problem the Stamps haven't played an important game in the last three years...

lloyd
02-27-2005, 12:38 AM
It's not our problem the Stamps haven't played an important game in the last three years...
:thup:

lloyd
02-27-2005, 12:39 AM

who is this guy?! :eek:

Esks4ever
02-27-2005, 12:57 AM
who is this guy?! :eek:

Someone who clearly lives in the past....

earl2
02-27-2005, 01:36 AM
Aw, give him his laughs. He's a Stamps fan. He's got to have something to feel good about... :rolleyes:

Rejean31
02-27-2005, 11:29 AM

Well I guess we'll see who's living in the past come October and November when all you Eskimo fans have to brag about is past Grey Cups. I'm not living in the past. I'm very happy with the team the Stampeders have assembled right now. Can you say the same about your Eskimos?

earl2
02-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Well I guess we'll see who's living in the past come October and November when all you Eskimo fans have to brag about is past Grey Cups. I'm not living in the past. I'm very happy with the team the Stampeders have assembled right now. Can you say the same about your Eskimos?
Yup. :D

EskiPhenom
02-27-2005, 12:37 PM

Yes! We have a far better secondary, kicker, QB (who isn't being drastically overpiad), group of starting recievers... Shall I continue? :lol:

Esks4ever
02-27-2005, 01:16 PM

I woud'nt be happy with your team... you have Higgins as your "coach". And I'm very happy with the Esks..

Eskimo_RoB
02-27-2005, 01:50 PM
...have also released Kahari

Rejean.When you release a player you have to pay him the rest of the money left on his contract. Dont you?

Angelus
02-27-2005, 02:00 PM
Rejean.When you release a player you have to pay him the rest of the money left on his contract. Dont you?
Not in the CFL. That's something I feel should be changed...

lloyd
02-27-2005, 04:29 PM
hahah is this guy for real!!!! :rofl: All of a sudden the Stamps are grey cup favourites? What ever happened to the importance of team chemistry, you cant throw a bunch of players together and expect them to gel right away, thats what takes the longest. Talent does not a team make, theres more to the formula, oh yah, coaching too.

GeeBrr
02-27-2005, 04:34 PM

The Stamps are paper thin, if they get one injury on offense, they are going to be bruuuuuuuuuutal. I wouldnt book the penthouse room at the CFL hotel yet ;)

GITC
02-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Esks, as well as other teams have had to bail out, : Toronto, Ottawa, and I do believe Sask.
Toronto & Hamilton last year.
Ottawa when Horn Chen walked away.
BC when Murray Pezim walked away.
Calgary when Ryckman went teats up.
Not the Riders.

When the Riders were on the brink, the league forked over not one red cent. That's why the Riders had to go the telethon route and then also received monies from the NFL loan. If not for that telethon and the loan to the CFL, they would have folded, not been bailed out.

Esk Reporter
02-27-2005, 11:05 PM

Nope, the Stamps are not on the hook a for a single dollar of Jones' contract. That is the nature of contracts in the CFL...they are not guaranteed

Esks4ever
02-28-2005, 07:48 AM
Toronto & Hamilton last year.
Ottawa when Horn Chen walked away.
BC when Murray Pezim walked away.
Calgary when Ryckman went teats up.
Not the Riders.

When the Riders were on the brink, the league forked over not one red cent. That's why the Riders had to go the telethon route and then also received monies from the NFL loan. If not for that telethon and the loan to the CFL, they would have folded, not been bailed out.

Thank ya GITC I wasn't quite sure about the Riders... but how could I forget Hamilton, BC and Cal... :thup:

Germany25
02-28-2005, 08:46 AM
Nope, the Stamps are not on the hook a for a single dollar of Jones' contract. That is the nature of contracts in the CFL...they are not guaranteed

Exactly right, not even in the NFL are player contracts guaranteed. ANYBODY in pro football can be cut at any time for pretty much any reason and not get paid out a cent.

Diesel
02-28-2005, 08:50 AM
But in the NFL, if you cut someone, a portion of thie contract still counts against the cap, no?

Germany25
02-28-2005, 08:50 AM

uhmmmm.....yeah.....I'm pretty happy. still have the best reciever corp going, a pretty good QB (better than yours anyways), some help in the secondary with wiltshire helping the ratio and quality in the overall secondary with MArsh expected to go to Safety, all in all looking pretty good. and will only get better! :D

Germany25
02-28-2005, 09:00 AM
But in the NFL, if you cut someone, a portion of thie contract still counts against the cap, no?

I believe it is pro rated over the actual season if they are signed a portion of the season, not sure though. Doesn't matter to the player...

GeeBrr
02-28-2005, 10:07 AM
I believe it is pro rated over the actual season if they are signed a portion of the season, not sure though. Doesn't matter to the player...

I am not sure if it does, dont count this as actual fact, but in Madden 2005, you cut someone and get assessed a fee that is dependent on what that player is making, and I think either gets added to your cap, or cap penalties.

Germany25
02-28-2005, 11:40 AM
knowing how exact those games are, I bet that is how it works.

However, the player doesn't get jack, which was the original thought on all of this anyways,

Stamps
02-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Finally Calgary has a solid QB again iirc Garcia was the last QB we had that was capable of actually winning us football games. Sure Crandell won the Grey Cup with Calgary but he had an amazing team around him in 01.

Calgary’s offense is really starting to come together. With Burris at the controls he’s got some weapons to throw to Copeland, Lewis, Williams and Terry. We all know what Copeland can do and Lewis is only going to get better after his solid rookie campaign. Willimas and Terry are both new to the team but from what I’ve heard they are great WR’s. We’ve also got Reynolds who’s very explosive 497 yards in 5 games should be interesting to see what he can do if he plays all the games.

It’s also going to be very interesting to see what Calgary does with their 1st overall draft pick. They can draft Lumsden that stud RB from McMaster or use it as trade bait and pickup another solid WR or improve the offensive line or the defensive line.

PS: Any chance I can change my usertitle? Eski-baby :rofl:

Angelus
02-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Finally Calgary has a solid QB again iirc Garcia was the last QB we had that was capable of actually winning us football games. Sure Crandell won the Grey Cup with Calgary but he had an amazing team around him in 01.

Calgary’s offense is really starting to come together. With Burris at the controls he’s got some weapons to throw to Copeland, Lewis, Williams and Terry. We all know what Copeland can do and Lewis is only going to get better after his solid rookie campaign. Willimas and Terry are both new to the team but from what I’ve heard they are great WR’s. We’ve also got Reynolds who’s very explosive 497 yards in 5 games should be interesting to see what he can do if he plays all the games.

It’s also going to be very interesting to see what Calgary does with their 1st overall draft pick. They can draft Lumsden that suck RB from McMaster or use it as trade bait and pickup another solid WR or improve the offensive line or the defensive line.

Welcome to the site. You can change the user title in your control panel...

earl2
02-28-2005, 08:06 PM

It’s also going to be very interesting to see what Calgary does with their 1st overall draft pick. They can draft Lumsden that stud RB from McMaster or use it as trade bait and pickup another solid WR or improve the offensive line or the defensive line.

While I'm not as sure as you are about the Stamps chances this season, thanks for a well-thought out post. And welcome to the site! :thup:

lloyd
03-01-2005, 11:40 AM
I just cant see Lumsden as very good trade bait, tading him for a starting receiver just doesnt seem plausable.

Esks4ever
03-01-2005, 12:14 PM
You cannot compare Burris to Garcia...

Stamps
03-01-2005, 02:04 PM
You cannot compare Burris to Garcia...

Never did compare him to Garcia. I said it's the first time we've had a solid QB like Garcia. When Jeff went to the NFL we were stuck with Crandell.

Esks4ever
03-01-2005, 02:05 PM
Never did compare him to Garcia. I said it's the first time we've had a solid QB like Garcia. When Jeff went to the NFL we were stuck with Crandell.

Made it seem that you where saying Burris is a solid QB....

Stamps
03-01-2005, 02:06 PM
Made it seem that you where saying Burris is a solid QB....

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying Burris is not solid?

Esks4ever
03-01-2005, 02:08 PM
I'm a bit confused. Are you saying Burris is not solid?

Thats what I'm saying... IMO he hasn't done a thing to prove to me he is a solid QB. He's an ok QB, but IMO i think you would have been better off with Jones..

Stamps
03-01-2005, 02:13 PM
Thats what I'm saying... IMO he hasn't done a thing to prove to me he is a solid QB. He's an ok QB, but IMO i think you would have been better off with Jones..

He's still got alot to prove your right but I feel alot better going into the regular season with Burris at the controls he's got alot of upside and should just be entering his prime. Jones has been crap since teh 01 Grey Cup imo and his sholder is too big of a question mark.

Nanookster
03-01-2005, 02:51 PM
He is solid if you reached out and touched him.

PhilAxler
03-02-2005, 01:23 PM
He's made his whole career on "potential". Time to actually use it.

But by forcing the Stamps to get rid of any means of acompentent, proven backup, he has crippled them if he ever gets hurt, or struggles.

donniewilson#20
03-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Easy now - if you want start counting cups you'll end up depressed as you are a Calgary fan.

Joepritch2
03-03-2005, 08:09 PM
A Regina radio station was trying to prank call the Stampeders head office. The DJ was talking to Jim Barker. The DJ pretended to be Mike Sherman of the Packers. He wanted to know how the deal with Burris was shaping up. Barker claimed they have no details on that and that the press conference was to announce the upcoming schedule.

Yeah, the DJ might have forgotten that he was on our roster one year, and didn't impress anyone in any way. I know, I know, Favre's getting old, but we already wasted one year on Burris, better to try someone else. :)

eskimoses
03-03-2005, 10:55 PM
Easy now - if you want start counting cups you'll end up depressed as you are a Calgary fan.

If I may add... when the donkeys win five grey cups in a row and can have a record of making the playoffs for as long as the ESKS... THEN AND ONLY THEN CAN YOU BEAT YOUR GUMS PRINCESS!!!!!!! Until then ya'll should put your diaper on your head so you can really see how full of it you are!!!
HAVE A NICE DAY !!!!!!!! :cool: :rofl: :cool: :rofl: :cool: :rofl: