PDA

View Full Version : Brier Talk: Ferbey to make curling history!

Angelus
03-02-2005, 10:46 PM
This didn't draw a very good reaction on 13thman...so I thought I'd try here. :D

History says Ferbey's the Brier favourite

Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:54:12 EST
CBC Sports

Randy Ferbey will make curling history as soon as he steps foot on the slippery ice in Edmonton for his first match at the 2005 Brier.

With his first match of the Canadian men's curling championship on Saturday, Ferbey's Alberta rink will establish a new record by becoming the first team to participate in five consecutive Briers.

Ferbey, David Nedohin, Scott Pfeifer and Marcel Rocque have combined to win the Brier tankard three times during their historic run. The foursome's first championship came in Ottawa in 2001. They followed that up with victories in 2002 in Calgary and in Halifax in 2003.

Last year, at the Brier in Saskatoon, Ferbey was upset in the final by Nova Scotia's Mark Dacey.

The Canadian title Ferbey won in Halifax was the fifth of his career he also won two championships playing third for Pat Ryan. No curler has ever won more Briers.

"I will be honoured to be on the same sheet of ice with him," said Brier newcomer Manitoba skip Randy Dutiaume when asked about facing Ferbey.

"Their team is such a class act, they've done so much for curling.

"It's going to be like playing against Ted Williams in baseball or something like that."

Given his penchant for winning big tournaments, there is good chance that Ferbey's Brier streak could come to a close after 2005.

Ferbey has already qualified for Olympic curling trials this fall. If he earns the right to represent Canada at the Winter Olympics in Torino, Italy, Ferbey won't participate in the Alberta provincial playdowns for the Brier in 2006.

The winner of the 2005 Brier will get a ticket to the trials in December.

The champion in Edmonton will also represent Canada at the world championships in Victoria in April.

While Ferbey is considered the favourite, he will face some stiff competition from some of the world's top curlers. Edmonton's field includes some seasoned veterans like former Brier champion Wayne Middaugh and former junior champ Brad Gushue and some unpredictable newcomers like Brier rookies Randy Dutiaume and Pat Simmons.

Here's a look at each of this year's competitors:

Alberta: Randy Ferbey (skip), Dave Nedohin, Scott Pfeifer, Marcel Rocque

Ferbey's Alberta rink is considered the favourite to win the tournament. Ferbey has played in eight Briers during his career, winning five championships including three in a row. Ferbey also has three world titles to his credit, including back-to-back titles with his current team (2002 and 2003).

Nedohin, who throws Alberta's skip stones, is considered one of the best shot-makers in the game.

British Columbia: Deane Horning (skip), Fred Thomson, Don Freschi, Rob Nobert

Horning is making his debut as a skip at the Brier. Horning does, however, have some Brier experience. He was part of the Pat Ryan-skipped team that participated in the Canadian championship in 2002 and 2003.

British Columbia has won four Briers, the last by Greg McAulay in 2000.

Saskatchewan: Pat Simmons (skip), Jeff Sharp, Chris Haichert, Ben Hebert

Simmons will be making his first appearance at the Brier, but the 30-year-old has played in three Canadian junior championships.

Manitoba: Randy Dutiaume (skip), Dave Elias, Greg Melnichuk, Shane Kilgallen

Dutiaume's foursome is the most surprising team at this year's Brier. Despite being put together just three weeks before the Manitoba provincial playdowns, Dutiaume's knocked off curling heavyweights Jeff Stoughton and Kerry Burtnyk along the way.

Newfoundland and Labrador: Brad Gushue (skip), Mark Nichols, Keith Ryan, Jamie Korab, Mike Adam

Experts are predicting big things from Gushue, a former world junior champion. His game has improved steadily over the last few years. Gushue represented Newfoundland and Labrador at the last two Briers. His rink has already secured a spot at the 2005 Olympic trials in December

Nova Scotia: Shawn Adams (skip), Paul Flemming, Craig Burgess, Kelly Mittelstadt

Adams eliminated last year's Brier champion Mark Dacey in the provincial playdowns. The winner of the 1993 Canadian juniors, Adams is making his third Brier appearance. He was also a skip in 2000 and 2002

Flemming, who is playing third on Adam's rink, skipped Nova Scotia in 1998 and 1999.

Northern Ontario: Mike Jakubo (skip), Jon Solberg, Luc Ouimet, Lee Toner

This rink has very little Brier experience. Third Jon Solberg is the only member of the foursome to have played in the Canadian championship. Solberg skipped Yukon/NWT to a 3-8 finish at the 2002 Brier in Calgary.

Jakubo's rink ousted two-time Brier participant Tim Phillips in the Northern Ontario playdowns. Jakubo will be trying to win a fifth Brier for Northern Ontario

NWT/Yukon: Steve Moss (skip), Darcy Moshenko, Rod Pielak, Jim Sosiak

Moss defeated Peter O'Driscoll to win the NWT/Yukon tankard. The victory earned Moss his fifth trip to the Brier. Moss's last trip to Canadian championship, in 2001, was abysmal. His team lost all 11 of their games. Moshenko makes his second trip, after playing for Moss in Ottawa. Pielak and Sosiak are Brier rookies.

NWT/ Yukon has yet to win the Brier since joining the competition in 1975. That year, it enjoyed its best result, finishing in second place, with an 8-3 record.

Ontario: Wayne Middaugh (skip), Graeme McCarrel, Joe Frans, Scott Bailey

Ferbey singled out Middaugh as his biggest rival in an interview with Canadian Press published in February.

''Wayne Middaugh, if he's on top of his game, is capable of being the best team in the world,'' he said. ''They're going to be extremely difficult to beat.''

Middaugh will be making his seventh appearance at the Canadian curling championship. He's won the Brier twice in his career.

New Brunswick: Wade Blanchard (skip), Mark Dobson, Paul Dobson, Geoff Porter

Blanchard beat out curling great Russ Howard in the provincial playdowns. Blanchard has gone to the Brier three times in his career, but this is his first appearance at the tournament in nearly a decade. A team from New Brunswick has never won the Brier title.

Quebec Jean-Michel Menard, Francois Roberge, Eric Sylvain, Maxime Elmaleh

Menard skipped Quebec to victory in the 2001 Canadian Mixed curling championships. He also played second for crowd favourite Guy Hemmings at the 2003 Brier.

Jim Ursel claimed Quebec's only Brier tankard in 1977. Hemmings finished second in 1998 and 1999.

Prince Edward Island: Rod MacDonald, Kevin Champion, Phil Gorveatt, Mike Dillon

MacDonald's Charlottetown Curling Club rink defeated John Likely in the provincial championships to earn a trip to Edmonton. It's the fourth trip to the Brier for MacDonald. He's made an appearance in each of the previous three decades, playing in the 1978, 1981 and 1996 Briers.

P.E.I. has never won the Brier since joining the competition in 1936.

Diesel
03-02-2005, 11:06 PM
I'm more of a Kevin Martin fan but go Fab Ferb Four. :thup:

Sandy - Edmonton
03-03-2005, 12:08 AM
I'm more of a Kevin Martin fan but go Fab Ferb Four. :thup:

Yup, Kevin Martin is also my favourite.

Kevin Martin is all class. I felt bad for him losing the gold in 2002....although it was a bad call on his final shot. He didn't really focus on going to the Brier this year....his goal is to win the Olympic qualifying.

Here's hoping.

I really think it's Dave Nedohin's team, more than Ferbey. Ferbey is a great curler, but it's Dave doing the dirty work.

Angelus
03-03-2005, 01:42 AM
No question that Nedohin's one of the best shot makers in the world...but Ferbey calls the game. You don't win as much as they do without a kickass strategy.

Esks4ever
03-03-2005, 07:25 AM
He's got some strong competition in Ont, Newfoundland, Sask, and Nova Scotia.

How much will the pressure of being at home affect him ?

As for Martin vs Ferbey..I like them both equally...They both have done wonders for the sport of curling

Opus
03-03-2005, 08:33 AM
As for Martin vs Ferbey..I like them both equally...They both have done wonders for the sport of curling

that's my take....I'd have a beer or more with either of em.....

56Parkies
03-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Yet another reason why Edmonton is the City of Champions! :thup:

earl2
03-03-2005, 02:10 PM
I'd have a beer or more with either of em.....

Yeah, but we all know you'd have a beer with anyone. :thup: :beer:

Opus
03-03-2005, 02:22 PM
Yeah, but we all know you'd have a beer with anyone. :thup: :beer:ok.....this is mostly true :D

esks4life
03-03-2005, 05:42 PM
I didnt know you guys were curling fans. I thought that was just a Saskatchewan thing. I know every province fields a team but Sask people really get into it. I dont mind curling but I never watch it.

Opus
03-03-2005, 06:41 PM
I like watching it...only had the opportunity to play it a couple times, but really enjoyed it...

earl2
03-03-2005, 06:46 PM
I actually used to curl quite a bit when I was younger. It's a great sport because if you're competitive it can be quite challenging, and if you're not, you get to drink ALOT.

Personally, I've always pulled for Kevin Martin, as he is married to a cousin of mine.

Opus
03-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I actually used to curl quite a bit when I was younger. It's a great sport because if you're competitive it can be quite challenging, and if you're not, you get to drink ALOT.

Personally, I've always pulled for Kevin Martin, as he is married to a cousin of mine.I honest to god, never knew how one got into it......I guess it would have made sense to go down to the Ottewell and talked to someone...

earl2
03-03-2005, 07:26 PM
I honest to god, never knew how one got into it......I guess it would have made sense to go down to the Ottewell and talked to someone...
I grew up in a small northern town. You played softball and soccer in the summer, and hockey and curling in the winter. We had a school league that I played in when I was about 12 yrs old.

esks4life
03-03-2005, 07:36 PM
I curled in Grade 9. I didnt mind it. My only problem was that when I through a rock Id smash it into the ice and chip it up. The rink people didnt appreciate me much. :) Plus the grandparents were hardcore into it so it rubbed off on me.

esklover
03-03-2005, 08:55 PM
I curl... :rofl:

No really I do curl... joking aside. I curl in a really fun league on Sunday mornings, kind of a poor time if you tend to light it up on Saturday night, but for those like myself it is a great way to start your day. We are always in need of fun people...we again in October...

If you are interested I can hook ya' up. :)

Opus
03-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I curl... :rofl:

No really I do curl... joking aside. I curl in a really fun league on Sunday mornings, kind of a poor time if you tend to light it up on Saturday night, but for those like myself it is a great way to start your day. We are always in need of fun people...we again in October...

If you are interested I can hook ya' up. :)would you accept a complete beginner?

Sniper_Fire
03-04-2005, 01:34 PM
would you accept a complete beginner?
Fish, they don't curl overhand in her league....besides it is on Sunday MORNING, not Sunday "whenever you wake up" :rofl:
Cheers, :beer:
SF

esklover
03-04-2005, 01:35 PM
would you accept a complete beginner?

Of course...I am a pretty good teacher you know.... :)

eskimoses
03-04-2005, 01:42 PM
Curling! Might be more fun if we made it full contact don't you think?? My dad and brother just loved it ...me, I'd go and watch paint dry(albeit, did you see some of those shots by the gals from Manitoba on TSN... NO WAY I could do that!!).

Opus
03-04-2005, 01:57 PM
Of course...I am a pretty good teacher you know.... :)cool, that could be a lot of fun :thup:

esklover
03-04-2005, 02:00 PM
Curling! Might be more fun if we made it full contact don't you think?? My dad and brother just loved it ...me, I'd go and watch paint dry(albeit, did you see some of those shots by the gals from Manitoba on TSN... NO WAY I could do that!!).

Our curling league IS partial contact...I told you we have a TON of fun...

Esks4ever
03-04-2005, 02:00 PM
cool, that could be a lot of fun :thup:

Hurry...
Hurry hard
HURRRY

take it to the button :D

eskimoses
03-04-2005, 02:03 PM
Our curling league IS partial contact...I told you we have a TON of fun...

Would that depend on the number of rocks or the number of drinks invovled??
Whoa... x-treme curling!! :thup: