PDA

View Full Version : A Ricky Ray "Moment of Zen"...

Sniper_Fire
03-03-2005, 01:49 PM
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/02/s...all/02jets.html
Just keeping everyone in the loop. Pennington isn't going to start throwing until June, so I'd say Ray is pretty much gold with respect to making it through camp somewhere on the Jets' roster.
The Feidler rumors are interesting (& probably valid), as is the prospect of Carter coming back from rehab at some point. If they did sign either of these guys (or both) + any Qb they sign or draft, RR would have to go through waivers again - and this time could find himself on the outside...
Here is the guts of the article -
The Jets may look to add defensive backs, wide receivers and a tight end through free agency, but their biggest priority may be finding an experienced backup for quarterback Chad Pennington.
Pennington, who is recovering from surgery last month on the torn rotator cuff in his throwing shoulder, may not be able to throw until June.
With only one healthy quarterback, Brooks Bollinger, on the roster, and with another, Ricky Ray, on the practice squad, the Jets need an experienced hand to fortify the position until Pennington is at full strength.
One candidate could be Jay Fiedler, the former Miami Dolphins starter, who was released last month and is said to be willing to accept a backup job. He was reared on Long Island and has ties to the area.
Quincy Carter, last year's backup, is still recovering from an episode that compelled him to leave the Jets during their playoff run and enroll in a drug rehabilitation program.
But Carter, who is also a free agent, has kept in contact with team officials, and his return has not been ruled out. Edwards said he and Carter spoke at least once a week.

Esks4ever
03-03-2005, 04:13 PM
I still think Ray will never get a fair shot.... sickening..

MEEZY
03-03-2005, 07:48 PM
I still think Ray will never get a fair shot.... sickening..

I'm with you on that one. From the sounds of the article, the Jets are obviously interested in pursuing an experienced QB. With the acquisition of another QB, Ray would be once again relegated to the practice roster. Clearly, the Jets have no intention of giving him a legitimate chance, which begs the question as to why they are intent on keeping him around. :confused:

eskimoses
03-03-2005, 11:50 PM
Poor kid will be like Flutie... tons of talent and has achieved up here, but is percieved as an absolute nobody by the "football gods" down there. Rick, come on back to Commonwealth, we got a job for ya... and repect!! :cool: :thup:

Evil Dr. Len
03-04-2005, 06:26 AM
Rick, come on back to Commonwealth, we got a job for ya... and repect!! :cool: :thup:

Right now, Rick would be in the same situation here as he would be in the NFL...holding a clipboard!

Not knocking Ricky, just complementing Jason Maas :thup:

TurfToe
03-04-2005, 08:27 AM
I think that Ray will be in the NFL for another year at the least... it's going to get sour pretty quickly if he doesn't get the 'legitimate shot' like he was promised all along.

When that is over and done with he will come back. At which point he will be more like Burris... needing the time and work hard to get back to where he was.

In the 'What if' world... RR comes back to the Esks for the '06 season. Assuming that Maas hasn't been drummed out of town, RR backs up JM. In '07 RR will be itching for more playing time and a QB controversy will boil up. In '08 one of RR or JM will be playing for another CFL team.

K... that's settled... next?
:p

MEEZY
03-04-2005, 02:15 PM
When that is over and done with he will come back. At which point he will be more like Burris... needing the time and work hard to get back to where he was.

And this was part of my argument against him leaving too soon. Like Burris and Dickenson, he'll spend a few years down there, languishing on practice rosters, and then when he comes back it will take a year or two to get into game shape. So the two wasted years that he spends down there will actually turn into four years of his career where he has accomplished absolutely nothing, other than realizing that he should have stayed here in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I respect his dream to play in a league he grew up watching, but his timing on pursuing that dream was just a little bit off...

56Parkies
03-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Warren Moon suggested via the media that he should do what HE did; play a bunch of years in the CFL, building up your name and skills, then head down to the US and rake in the coin.

Diesel
03-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Yups, but RR's agent knows better. :rolleyes:

Opus
03-04-2005, 03:26 PM
In all honesty though, I don't know if RR would have done himself any good other than a year more of game exp. last year......I don't think he would have taken us any further than JM did....

Angelus
03-04-2005, 03:48 PM
In all honesty though, I don't know if RR would have done himself any good other than a year more of game exp. last year......I don't think he would have taken us any further than JM did....
I think you're right. He probably would have hurt his NFL chances last year. There was so much hype around him after the '03 Grey Cup, he had to take his shot.

Opus
03-04-2005, 03:54 PM
I think he got lucky in his timing, unlucky with where he signed....