PDA

View Full Version : Golden Bears Volleyball Champs!

gizmo fan 2
03-06-2005, 06:10 PM
The #1 ranked University of Alberta Golden Bears beat the #2 Trinity Western Spartans 3-2 in the final of the 2004-05 CIS men's volleyball championship at the Universite de Laval in Quebec City today. :thup:

Game scores were 29-27, 29-31, 27-25, 18-25, 15-13.

More info will come later tonight when they post a story I can get it from.

(aside: I always find it funny when I see the University of Saskatchewan commercial advertising their athletic program, claiming 20 CIS championships and 79 Canada West titles :lol: ......U of A has 46 CIS championships and 150 Canada West titles as of right now :thup: , never mind the upcoming men's hockey CanWest final and Nationals, the men's basketball Nationals, and the women's hockey Nationals :D .
If they can draw athletes using it, good for them :thup: ...but they're beat six ways to Sunday, banner-wise :D .)

gizmo fan 2
03-06-2005, 10:54 PM
(Canadian Press)

It doesnít get any betterÖ or closer than this!

The top-ranked Alberta Golden Bears captured the 2005 CIS menís volleyball championship on Sunday with a 3-2 win over the second-seeded Trinity Western Spartans in one of the more closely contested national final in history.

With the first three sets extending beyond the regular 25-point limit, Alberta prevailed 29-27, 29-31, 27-25, 18-25 and 15-13.

Appearing in their fourth consecutive CIS gold medal game, the Golden Bears finally put their hands on the fourth menís volleyball title in school history, after settling for silver in both 2004 and 2003. Alberta won CIS gold in 2002, 1997 and 1981.

The national title caps off a brilliant campaign for the Bears in which they kept a 33-2 overall record, including a 3-1 win over Trinity Western in the Canada West final. Alberta also swept the four-game regular-season series between the two teams.

The silver-medal performance marks the best finish in history for the Spartans, which claimed bronze a year ago in their first appearance at the CIS tournament. Trinity Western joined the CIS six years ago.

Fourth-year Golden Bear setter Brock Davidiuk earned championship-MVP honours following another solid performance in the gold medal match. Davidiuk, a 21-year-old from Edmonton, distributed the ball to perfection finishing with 57 decisive assists, and was stellar defensively with a team-high 22 digs.

Joining Davidiuk on the tournament all-star team are teammate Nicholas Cundy, the 2004-05 CIS player of the year, Trinity Western outside hitter Jeffrey Stel, Matt Balchin of Manitoba, and All-Canadians Mark Dodds of Saskatchewan, Christian Bernier of Montreal, and Carl Lalancette of Laval.

Cundy, a fourth-year outside hitter from Edmonton, had 15 kills and three service aces in the final, while Bear co-captain Aaron Schulha, also a native of Albertaís capital, added scored on 11 attacks.

Stel, a junior from Langley, B.C. had 13 kills, 10 digs and six blocks in the losing effort for the Spartans. Sophomore Steven Rogalsky, a second-team All-Canadian from Maple Ridge, B.C. led all players in the game with 23 kills.

The Bears claimed the first game 29-27 when Schulha converted Albertaís fifth set point with a well-placed tip.

The two teams were neck-and-neck again in set two, with Alberta erasing a four-point deficit to tie the score at 22 all. Consecutive Bear errors by Cundy, on a kill attempt, and middle Leo Carroll, on a block, allowed Trinity Western to run away with the set and tie the match.

Cundy redeemed himself in the best possible way in the next frame, ending the third stanza at 27-25 with a thunderous kill.

The Spartans led from start to finish in set four, opening large gaps at 19-14 and 22-16 before sending the match to a decisive game with a convincing 25-18 win.

The final set would be no different than the rest of the contest. Alberta scored the first three points and built an early 6-3 advantage, but TWU didnít panick and caught up to its rival at 7-7. The Bears took the lead for good at 12-11, and Schulha had the honour to hit the winning strike for the gold-medal 15-13 win.

The CIS menís volleyball championship moves to McMaster University in Hamilton in 2006 and 2007.

Gold medal game Stat leaders

Alberta
Kills: Jeremy King (19), Nicholas Cundy (15)
Blocks: Leo Carroll (7)
Digs: Brock Davidiuk (22)
Assists: Brock Davidiuk (57)

Opus
03-07-2005, 12:20 AM
Hats off to the Bears, once again doing us proud :thup:

Sandy - Edmonton
03-07-2005, 01:17 AM
Yeah, I watched the game..it was great entertainment

I love watching Vollyball, too bad there's no professional league for it.

Vollyball is probably the only sport in which the CIS athletes are much more talented than the NCAA athletes.

The hockey Pandas will win/or have won the Canada West. The hockey Bears will follow. Basketball just won a Canada West title, going to nationals. The Vollyball mens just won. The females are rebuilding, it was only a while ago they won 6 straight Vollyball CIS championships. The Football program now is one of the top in the country. No doubt about it, the U of A has one of the best, if not the best, athletic programs in the country

Esks4ever
03-07-2005, 07:19 AM
I also watched it off an... very entertaining.... great kill for the winning point :thup:

gizmo fan 2
03-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I watched the game..it was great entertainment

I love watching Vollyball, too bad there's no professional league for it.

Vollyball is probably the only sport in which the CIS athletes are much more talented than the NCAA athletes.

The hockey Pandas will win/or have won the Canada West. The hockey Bears will follow. Basketball just won a Canada West title, going to nationals. The Vollyball mens just won. The females are rebuilding, it was only a while ago they won 6 straight Vollyball CIS championships. The Football program now is one of the top in the country. No doubt about it, the U of A has one of the best, if not the best, athletic programs in the country

It was a great game. :thup:

I think CIS might beat NCAA in hockey too (or at least, U of A might). But for sure in volleyball...the CIS took the Can-Am Challenge last fall by something like 11-5.

Pandas hockey has Canada West title and #1 seed in Nationals.
Bears hockey is in Canada West Final and probably has #1 seed in Nationals.
Bears volleyball has Canada West and CIS titles.
Pandas volleyball was 2nd in Canada West and 4th in CIS (and they will be rebuilding after this year, they're losing about 7 players).
Pandas basketball didn't make the playoffs (and haven't for a few years), although they were close to it.
Bears basketball won Canada West (after taking 2 of 3 IN Calgary AND IN Saskatoon AND beating Brandon and Victoria) and should be one of the top 5 seeds at Nationals.
Bears football was tops in Canada West in the regular season.
Pandas rugby won Canada West and finished 3rd in CIS (first time in 6 years they didn't win CIS)
Bears and Pandas soccer are always competitive (knocked out in first round of CanWest playoffs), and have both won national titles in the past few years.
Yeah, I think we have the best athletic program in the country :thup: ...at least, results-wise.

Muley69
03-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Man...the Bears Hockey won a squeeker against Calgary on Friday...and then demolished 'em on Saturday.

Diesel
03-07-2005, 12:19 PM
The UofA athletic programs have been kickin some serious tail in the past several years! :thup:

gizmo fan 2
03-07-2005, 04:09 PM
Man...the Bears Hockey won a squeeker against Calgary on Friday...and then demolished 'em on Saturday.

I went to the Friday one...it seemed normal, 2-0 after 1 for Alberta, 2 more in the first 2 mins of the 2nd......then the Bears got real sloppy :( .
Ended up 4-3...I'm not used to close games like that :( .
And if they do that against Saskatchewan next week, they just might lose :eek: ...Sask beat us 5-2 here last time we played them.

Muley69
03-07-2005, 08:57 PM
I went to the Friday one...it seemed normal, 2-0 after 1 for Alberta, 2 more in the first 2 mins of the 2nd......then the Bears got real sloppy :( .

And if they do that against Saskatchewan next week, they just might lose :eek: ...Sask beat us 5-2 here last time we played them.

I hope not.

Daum really had them going through the paces today in practice. I watch it as I'm jogging 'round the track.

gizmo fan 2
03-07-2005, 10:44 PM
I hope not.

Daum really had them going through the paces today in practice. I watch it as I'm jogging 'round the track.

Good, they can always improve :thup: .

The Dude
03-13-2005, 12:55 AM

The Bears have done it! Canada West Champions 2004-2005, after beating Saskatchewan 7-4 on Friday and 4-2 on Saturday! :thup:

Sandy - Edmonton
03-13-2005, 01:40 AM
I was at the Bears Hockey game today, never seen so many Riders jersey's at a hockey game before. Lots of Sask fans in the crowd, although that's expected with so many Ex-Saskanese living here. Those guys really do love their sports...

The hockey is great. I sat a couple of rows behind the Sask. bench. U of A students were harassing the Huskies players and coaches all game. Even one of Sask's assistant coaches was smiling at some of the hilarious things some of the students were saying....

I would definitely be interested in going to the CIS National's at Rexall Place.

gizmo fan 2
03-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Excellent. :thup:

I wasn't able to make it last night, but my dad and brother went...apparently late in the game the "It's all YOUR fault!" and "Warm up the bus!" chants were in full force. :thup:

Go to Nationals, everyone :thup:...it'll be some great hockey.

Sandy - Edmonton
03-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Excellent. :thup:

I wasn't able to make it last night, but my dad and brother went...apparently late in the game the "It's all YOUR fault!" and "Warm up the bus!" chants were in full force. :thup:

Go to Nationals, everyone :thup:...it'll be some great hockey.

The Warm Up the Bus chants were hilarious... :rofl: