PDA

View Full Version : Doug Flutie released

Evil Dr. Len
03-12-2005, 10:01 AM
SAN DIEGO (March 11, 2005) -- Doug Flutie has been sent ramblin' and scramblin' once again, and this time it might be for good.

The San Diego Chargers released Flutie, the latest move in the quarterback's roundabout 20-year career that has taken him through eight teams in three professional leagues.

The 42-year-old Flutie will always be remembered for the "Hail Mary" pass against Miami that helped him win the 1984 Heisman Trophy with Boston College. While that play earned him legendary status that lingers to this day, he struggled for success in the NFL because there were always questions about his 5-foot-10 size.

Still, he would like to keep playing, said his agent, Kristen Kuliga. Flutie wanted to play for one more season in San Diego because his daughter, who attends La Jolla High, will be a senior next fall.

"I think Doug definitely wants to try and play at least for another year," Kuliga said from Boston. "I'll be looking at what opportunities might be out there, with a team that wants a quality backup quarterback."

Flutie, a fan favorite wherever he has played, had two years left on his Chargers contract and was due a roster bonus March 15.

Kuliga said Flutie became expendable after Drew Brees, who had an outstanding 2004 season, signed a $8,078,000 contract as the team's "franchise" player. The Chargers also have Philip Rivers, the fourth overall pick in the 2004 NFL Draft and second-year man Cleo Lemon at quarterback.

Flutie was heading to Stowe, Vt., to play drums in a weekend gig with his Flutie Brothers Band, Kuliga said.

In a statement released by the Chargers, Flutie thanked the late John Butler, who was general manager when the QB signed as a free agent in March 2001, and current GM A.J. Smith.

"There are no hard feelings. It's a mutual parting," Flutie said in the statement. "It's the right thing for me. It opens up other doors of opportunity for me if I want. Rather than retiring outright, I wanted to be released so that I could pursue other things if they arise."

Flutie often spoke of returning to the CFL, where he starred from 1990-97, but Kuliga said she would explore all NFL options first.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

there's more to the article at NFL.com but this was the meat of it.

Does he catch on with another NFL team or does he come looking in Canada for another job?

Esks4ever
03-12-2005, 10:49 AM
Flutie often spoke of returning to the CFL, where he starred from 1990-97, but Kuliga said she would explore all NFL options first.

who is Kuliga refering to... flutie ? :D

TurfToe
03-12-2005, 01:01 PM
I'm thinking that Flutie will hang em up.

But let's play the what if he were to come to the CFL ...

my gut tells me that he'd want to be in the East - closer to home. Neither the Argos nor the Als would likely go for him... so that leaves the 'Gades or 'Cats. The 'Cats have an in-house gramps already in DannyMac... Flutie in Ottawa certainly would do much for repairing fan support out there (from a marketing point of view at any rate).

earl2
03-12-2005, 01:58 PM
Just a few short words for all those CFL fans who think Flutie will come back to play.

AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN.