PDA

View Full Version : CIS Final Ten Results

gizmo fan 2
03-18-2005, 12:12 AM
I feel shame, almost ignored university basketball north of the border. Especially when Alberta is in it.

Results from Thursday (both upsets!):

#9 Ottawa defeated #8 Brandon
#10 Saint Mary's defeated #7 Waterloo

gizmo fan 2
03-18-2005, 12:15 AM
Quarterfinal matchups for Friday:

#1 Carleton vs #9 Ottawa
#2 Concordia vs #10 Saint Mary's
#3 Brock vs #6 Victoria
#4 St. FX vs #5 Alberta :thup:

Sandy - Edmonton
03-18-2005, 01:29 AM
Quarterfinal matchups for Friday:

#1 Carleton vs #9 Ottawa
#2 Concordia vs #10 Saint Mary's
#3 Brock vs #6 Victoria
#4 St. FX vs #5 Alberta :thup:

Are any games on TV?

gizmo fan 2
03-18-2005, 08:18 AM
Are any games on TV?

The semifinals and the final are on TSN...3 pm and 6 pm on Saturday, and 1:30 on Sunday, I think.

MoneyGuy
03-18-2005, 11:51 AM
The Bears play Sunday in the hockey Nationals. Anyone know what time? I want to go.

Maybe we could all go and wear a certain coloured hat or something so we recognize each other. "Hey, red ball cap, must be someone from Esksfans.com. Wonder if nanookster is here?"

gizmo fan 2
03-18-2005, 12:08 PM
The Bears play Sunday in the hockey Nationals. Anyone know what time? I want to go.

Maybe we could all go and wear a certain coloured hat or something so we recognize each other. "Hey, red ball cap, must be someone from Esksfans.com. Wonder if nanookster is here?"

Friday Mar 25, 7:00 pm, Clare Drake, Alberta vs. TBA
Easter Sunday (27), 6:00 pm (time changed from 7), Alberta vs. TBA at Rexall (will be the 2nd round-robin game for the Bears).
Monday Mar 28, 7:00 pm, Rexall, gold-medal game

I got my tix for the whole tournament :thup: ...going to be some good hockey.
For the Bears games, I'll have either a dark green U of A "SuperFan" T-shirt or my #2 Esks jersey, and a black Bears hat. Although, it probably won't be that easy to find people :confused: .

MoneyGuy
03-18-2005, 02:26 PM
I got my tix for the whole tournament :thup: ...going to be some good hockey.
For the Bears games, I'll have either a dark green U of A "SuperFan" T-shirt or my #2 Esks jersey, and a black Bears hat. Although, it probably won't be that easy to find people :confused: .

Yah, I was just joking. However, we could all wears name tags with our psedonyms (sp?) and look for each other. But we'd look kinda odd to everyone else. ;-) :lol:

gizmo fan 2
03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Yah, I was just joking. However, we could all wears name tags with our psedonyms (sp?) and look for each other. But we'd look kinda odd to everyone else. ;-) :lol:

:lol: Oh, I know. Yeah, that we would. :thup:

gizmo fan 2
03-18-2005, 07:29 PM
Results from Saturday:

#1 Carleton defeats #9 Ottawa
#2 Concordia defeats #10 Saint Mary's
#3 Brock defeats #6 Victoria
#4 St. FX defeats #5 Alberta :(

gizmo fan 2
03-18-2005, 07:30 PM
Semifinal matchups for Saturday:

#1 Carleton vs #4 St. FX, 6:00 pm (TSN)
#2 Concordia vs #3 Brock, 3:00 pm (TSN)

Sandy - Edmonton
03-18-2005, 10:47 PM
That sucks....

Why did they change it to a Final 10, instead of a Final 4? In hockey too, they added a few more teams.

I liked it better with only 4 teams, and they each play round robin. This single elimination is ridiculous...

Opus
03-19-2005, 11:13 AM
welcome to tournament play Sandy, same way as south of the border......

GREYx14
03-20-2005, 07:52 AM
My biggest concern with the CIS' Final 10 is its timing. Putting the national finals up against the first weekend of March Madness ensures that it will stay way under the radar. The CIS would be much smarter if they played it last week with its championship game falling on the NCAA's "Selection Sunday" evening or even the following night.

gizmo fan 2
03-20-2005, 04:43 PM
Semifinal results from Saturday:

#1 Carleton defeats #4 St. FX
#2 Concordia defeats #3 Brock

gizmo fan 2
03-20-2005, 04:44 PM
Championship Matchup for Sunday:

#1 Carleton vs #2 Concordia

gizmo fan 2
03-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Sunday result:

#1 Carleton defeats #2 Concordia

2004-05 CIS Men's Basketball Champions: Carleton Ravens (for the 3rd straight year :tongue:...the Bears were the last team to win before them, in 2001-02)

Sandy - Edmonton
03-20-2005, 07:42 PM
Sunday result:

#1 Carleton defeats #2 Concordia

2004-05 CIS Men's Basketball Champions: Carleton Ravens (for the 3rd straight year :tongue:...the Bears were the last team to win before them, in 2001-02)

I remember that year.....there was some all-star....can't recall his name. Steven something? Perhaps parker?

I believe he went to the NCAA. I saw him at a Bears game this year.

gizmo fan 2
03-20-2005, 08:50 PM
I remember that year.....there was some all-star....can't recall his name. Steven something? Perhaps parker?

I believe he went to the NCAA. I saw him at a Bears game this year.

Yeah, Stephen Parker......man, he was awesome. :thup:

Did he go to the NCAA to coach? He couldn't have gone to play :confused: ...that championship was in his last year of eligibility.

Yeah, I've seen him at a few games. Cool guy. :thup:

Sandy - Edmonton
03-20-2005, 10:01 PM
Hmm,, I thought he went to the NCAA to play, but I guess I was wrong. Don't really know what he's doing now days....

Esks996
03-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Was flipping between the CIS final and a couple March Madness games (god I miss hockey and football), and I must say that CIS basketball is absolutely brutal. If those were our two best University teams in the country, we have a freakin' long ways to go before college basketball becomes somewhat entertaining/popular to fans up here in the north.

The tournament MVP from Carleton wouldn't even be considered for towel boy on any one of those NCAA squads. God that was awful to watch! :sick:

gizmo fan 2
03-20-2005, 10:47 PM
Was flipping between the CIS final and a couple March Madness games (god I miss hockey and football), and I must say that CIS basketball is absolutely brutal. If those were our two best University teams in the country, we have a freakin' long ways to go before college basketball becomes somewhat entertaining/popular to fans up here in the north.

The tournament MVP from Carleton wouldn't even be considered for towel boy on any one of those NCAA squads. God that was awful to watch! :sick:

In comparison, yeah...but the US has an infinitely better grassroots system than we do.

I think Carleton could shoot with pretty much any team though...going 50% (and something like 70% at one point in the first half) from 3-pt range, and 53.2% from the floor, that's pretty good.

If the MVP was Osvaldo Jeanty, I think you're wrong......he shot 66% from 3-pt range, 60% total, with 10 assists and 24 points? That's pretty good, I think...I see a lot of NCAA guys who are bigger, and stronger, but I also see shooters like Morrison from Gonzaga and Sorrentine from Vermont who play the same role as him, and shoot about as well as him.

Esks996
03-20-2005, 11:56 PM
but the US has an infinitely better grassroots system than we do.

Hard to disagree with you on that one.

I think Carleton could shoot with pretty much any team though

Not likely.

The NCAA game is twice as fast, and strategically played at a much higher level. Carleton wouldn't stand a chance against any of those teams.

gizmo fan 2
03-21-2005, 12:33 AM
Not likely.

The NCAA game is twice as fast, and strategically played at a much higher level. Carleton wouldn't stand a chance against any of those teams.

Oh I know, Carleton probably couldn't play with them at all...but they could shoot with them, I think. Open jump shots are open jump shots, whether they're north or south of the border. The question is whether they could get open first.

Esks996
03-21-2005, 01:09 AM
Agreed.

Those young bucks down south are just pretty damn impressive when it comes to their BBall.

Nanookster
03-21-2005, 03:15 PM

Huh?