PDA

View Full Version : Controversial 49ers' video

OldGreyMonkey
06-02-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm sure you have all heard the story by now. For those that haven't, here is the "Cole's Notes" version:
The 49ers "training video" showed team public relations director Kirk Reynolds, posing as the mayor of San Francisco, cavorting with topless dancers when the topic of dealing with women in the locker room is broached, spoofing gay marriage, & talking with a man in Chinatown who spoke in an exaggerated accent.
Reynolds resigned last Thursday, but the storm has risen after several players have spoken out in his defense. For example, Center Jeremy Newberry said, "I think they're losing one of the best people in the building. So far, the way he's been depicted in the media ... is so far from who he is, it's ridiculous.''
I'll post a link to the video here, with the proviso that I do not condone the video, its content, or any opinions in it. There is a disclaimer which you personally must agree to, hence, it is your responsibility wehter or not you watch it. All I'm saying is: YOU be the judge.
Linkage:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/06/01/MNdisclaimer01.DTL

*P.S. If this should be in a different thread / forum / etc. please do move it to where ever it seems most fitting.

Numberz
06-02-2005, 06:42 PM
i was about to start this thread...as for the video. inappropriate, but funny nonetheless.

esks4life
06-02-2005, 06:45 PM
The only part Im curious to see is the topless dancers and lesbians. :heh:

Numberz
06-02-2005, 06:54 PM
ya im trying to find the uncensored version, but dont you find it ironic thats he's telling everyone not to get screwed up in the media, when he's doin it himself (not just in the video but in real life)

Opus
06-02-2005, 07:03 PM
It was a joke.....a spoof......I've seen worse on Saturday Night Live......

Esks4ever
06-02-2005, 07:05 PM
^what he said

Opus
06-02-2005, 07:12 PM
blown way out of proportion methinks....

Edmonton Fan
06-02-2005, 07:21 PM
Black eye for the organization.

EskiPhenom
06-02-2005, 07:33 PM
This stuff isn't meant to go public. a PR guy is supposed to be behind the scenes, and his job is to effectively get through to the players about the risks the publicity of a league such as the NFL brings and allow to players to be seen in the best possible light. Hell, it even took us a while to figure out Ricky Williams was a coward and a loser. These guys can obviously do their jobs, effectively if they can make Ray Lewis look good after suspected murder charges. He's still extremely marketable as a player and a person. Thats what they do. We're just finding out how. Unethical it may be, but if this is what it takes for the the PR men to get through the incredibly, almost unbelievably, inflated egos of the players and the the rational person inside of them, then so be it. Its better for the league in the long run. The NBA should be looking at this video and taking notes. I even find it hard to belive that the owners don't know whats going on in their rookie prep courses. They spent the money, they problably know what its on.

Fish has this pegged, IMO. This stroy has been blown right out of proportion.

Numberz
06-02-2005, 07:53 PM
thats cuz its the offseason, and there's nothing to talk about.

Delorean
06-02-2005, 08:19 PM
Agreed, this is blown way out of proportion. Not particularly funny and the only entertaining part was the naked chicks which stupid sfgate blurred out :mad: