boydo

Passing Down From Pops...

Rate this Entry
Well, my first Father's Day has come and gone...and I have to admit; I was more emotional about it than I expected! Looking at my little monster as he crawled around the cabin looking for things to destroy and slobber on...I thought back to the things that my dad taught me, that his dad taught him that I'm looking forward to teaching my son. Some are important...some aren't, but all of them helped shape who I am today.
- Open doors for ladies...your mom, your grandma, your girlfriend, the little old lady that's walking up behind you as you go into the gas station...all of them. Hold the door open, open the car door for them...it's a sign of respect for your elders as well as affection for your loved ones. I defy anyone to find me a woman that doesn't like having her car door opened for her!
- Take your hat off at the table. I don't care if you're in a food court and all your little buddies are still wearing theirs...take yours off. You try to wear a hat at the table...you're not going to eat for that meal. There's also no reason to weat that hat inside bucko...
- Be proud of your country and sing your national anthem. Son...do I really need to explain that you better not be the meathead that's yelling Go Esks in the middle of our anthem...severe ass kicking...
- Stand up when a lady leaves the table...and stand up again when they come back. It's just polite boy. Old fashioned, but polite...
He'll learn...
- How to tie a tie.
- How to sharpen a knife.
- How to clean a fish with that sharp knife.
- How to change the oil, check the tires etc.
- He'll learn to fly a plane and a helicopter as well as how to ride a motorbike and operate a bobcat. Not to mention learning to drive in a standard.
- Oh I don't know...how to throw a football? That'll be important...

It's not a big list, and I'm sure I'll be adding to it through the years, but it's a start. Hell, I learned something new just this last weekend from my dady...it never ends!
Maybe a lot of this stuff is old fashioned, but I don't really care. He can grow up knowing how to work an iPad...but he's also going to know how to fix a leaky toilet without calling a plumber in his first apartment too...
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments