boydo

Shooting at Sandy Hook

Rate this Entry
It's been a few days now and there are a few things that I'd like to get off my chest about the stupid senseless tragedy that happened on Friday. So here in no particular order are a few things that really have me riled up about it all...
- The Baptists planning on picketing the funerals & school...unreal that they would thing that this is "God's good work" and that they haven't been labeled a hate group yet. What does it take? Yeah...six year olds deserved to be gunned down while they were trying to learn math and color inside the lines...brutal! How do these nutbags sleep at night?
- The gun debate - This could be a whole blog in itself but there were a few things I noticed over the weekend. For the first time that I can remember, a lot of people are actually agreeing that the US needs more gun control. They're not saying they need to restrict the guns mind you...just need more control. On the other hand there was a (now ex) friend of mine on Facebook that was spouting off about how it's the teacher's fault it happened the way it did because they didn't have personal carry permits and could have shot the guy themselves? Really? Where does that end? Should the kids have been armed so they could have shot back in self defence? Seriously, this clownshoe was saying that because everyone isn't armed it makes more potential victims. I tried to reason with him, I tried logic...but after all was said and done he just couldn't admit that there was a flaw in his reasoning. It's his constitutional right to bear arms and nobody was going to take that away. I'm pretty sure the constitution also said that they could own slaves at one point as well...but that doesn't make it right.
- Remembering the victims and not the villians. The media and a lot of the celebrities that were interviewed have commented about how we shouldn't remember and sensationalize the perpetrators of these kinds of crimes...because it causes others to see them as heroes or celebrities and then they'll try to one up them or something like that. I don't know the name of the guy that did this one, or the one at some mall last week either...or even the Batman one (all I know about him is he had ridiculous hair in his mugshot)...hell at this point I can't even remember the Columbine kid's names. In the grand scheme of things, there's always going to be the Enquirer etc that's going to sensationalize things and "dig deep and peel back the layers" of who why they did it. I don't really care why they did it...I'm just sorry that he killed himself so he won't get a chance to make it into general population "by mistake" like Dahmer did...
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Well written and I agree with you on all points.

With regards to Westboro, their main purpose is basically just to get attention, which requires them to do some pretty crazy things, which mostly revolves around picketing funerals of the recently deceased in a well known tragedy. Of course, they also like to get under the skin of people in the hopes that one will assault them, which brings about a lawsuit and money for their "church." I would have to give credit to the parents at the funeral of their loved ones, because if I had a kid and I had to bury them and listen to the slander people like Westboro spout, I'd probably end up in prison for second-degree murder. If someone "accidentally" ran over someone from Westboro, I wouldn't even give the slightest damn.

The gun debate is such a sensitive issue down in the United States and no politician wants to tackle it, mainly because it would be political suicide. I don't see how having the teacher armed would be a realistic solution. I mean, we already place enough responsibility on teachers. We require them to educate our children, be sensitive to their needs, act as the parents during school hours, and so on. Now you add the responsibility of defending children with a firearm, well, that seems like quite a burden of stress. It's not part of their training and nor should it be; they are trained on how to minimize casualties (i.e. having students hide in a corner, under desks), but not to use lethal force if necessary. A friend of mine suggested the teachers keep a weapon on school property, but could you just image the hellstorm that would happen if a kid somehow managed to get access to that and kill someone? You'd never hear the end of it.

As for gun control itself, that's going to be a painful issue for the United States to deal with, given their obsession with the gun culture. I will say this, however: I don't see why your average person needs to own an assault rifle. Maybe that's just the Canadian in me, but I don't see its purpose. People do have the right to bear arms, but I'm pretty sure children also have the right to feel like they're safe and secure in their own school.

Lastly, I agree with remembering the victims; the media tends to be grossly irresponsible when it comes to reporting shootings. All it talks about is the perpetrator, his life story, his motives, et cetera. Honestly, I don't give a damn about that f*ckstain; he should be considered in damnatio memoriae. If we remember anyone, it should be the true victims of the tragedy - the innocent. The problem with giving the perps all the attention is that it might give the wrong idea to someone who might be depressed and extremely unbalanced mentally. They might, at first, decide to just kill themselves, but if they really want attention, what better way then to shoot up a school? You'll gain instant fame and for days after the shooting, the media won't shut up about you and everything about you 24/7. So you went from some nobody who would have just offed him/herself in the basement to a household name. I guess that's the consequence of having freedom of the press; if we started to censor that information, people would probably accuse us of going the route of 1984.

That's enough from me. Again, well said.
    Great read, Boydo.