Lick My Cleats

James Franklin - Should I Stay or Should I Go?

Rate this Entry
James Franklin - Should I Stay or Should I Go?

BY DARREN POPOWICH @d_pop13

James Franklin has the biggest decision of his pro career to make in 2017. Should he extend with the Edmonton Eskimos or go to free agency in 2018? Some fans argue that Franklin would be doing his career a big disservice by not moving to a team where he can be a starter. Yet, others argue it is better to find the right fit than just any situation. The difference of opinion goes further with some believing the Eskimos should trade Franklin and get something in return now. While others caution that Franklin’s talents could be needed by the Esks in 2017 and it is better to delay or not trade him at all. Let’s explore what variables would be influencing this talented quarterback’s decision.
Frank the Tank

Frank the Tank

The highly talented Franklin has faced adversity and difficult decisions before. In 2013 Franklin suffered a 2nd-degree right shoulder separation that held him out of the rest of SEC regular season. In 2012 it was a series of injuries including a concussion that he fought through that earned him the nickname of Frank the Tank. Although Franklin was named the Independence Bowl MVP in 2011, showed toughness in 2012 and won the Cotton Bowl in 2013 his draft stock fell. The highly-touted prospect in 2011 drifted downward on many draft boards and in 2014 mostly due to the injuries he went undrafted. Only the Detroit Lions were willing to give him any kind of shot at a pro career.

As it turned out the Lions opportunity was not a great one and Franklin didn’t get a single game snap during camp. As his options ran out Franklin reached out to Archie Manning who suggested he try the CFL. It was former Mizzou teammate Kendial Lawrence that connected Franklin to the Eskimos. At Eskie mini-camps in Nebraska and Florida in 2015, then Esks head coach, Chris Jones suggested Franklin further develop with an indoor league team. Luckily for Franklin it seems the Eskie football operations brain trust did not all concur with this view and that led to Franklin signing with the Eskimos. If that change of heart was Chris Jones, Paul Jones or Ed Hervey’s doing is open to speculation, but Franklin did get a legit pro shot with the Eskimos when nobody else would give him one. It even led to him living in Edmonton year-round.

http://yegboneyard.blogspot.ca/2017/...or-should.html

Comments