Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: My 2 cents.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Re: My 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by 5goridersgo5
    Ask Roy Shivers about CFL fans being able to understand literal versus figurative language.
    no kidding.....you'd think more people would remember the 'broken neck' thing.....
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Jedrock43
    AJ will be fine.

I doubt he will lose much sleep over what anyone has said on this or any of the other forums. AJ does not live his life for that kind of validation.

AJ plays the game hard and he plays it on the edge.

While I do not agree with what AJ or Brock did in the game I understand where both are coming from.

Going for the knees as a receiver, especially one as patently averse to contact as Brock is only natural. Brock was only doing what he felt was necessary in the heat of the moment. Was it right? Absolutely not.

Seeing AJ Coming quickly to the defense of Braidwood who had just had his knees taken out is something I admire. While I definitely do not condone kicking someone while they are down I understand why AJ felt the way he did especially after what happened to Kelly last week.

I once witnessed Doug Petersen fly off the sidelines and into the game to go after Jeff Pilon who was taking liberties with one of our teammates. Was it stupid? Hell yes! I can tell you that the guys knew afterwards that come hell or high water Doug had their back..

It is easy for a lot of fans to sit back and split hairs about the things that players do and say in games but the fact of the matter is that people do and say things in the heat of the moment that ordinarily they would never do- Most of the people commenting on this issue on these sites have never been tested in such a manner and they somehow conveniently find it necessary to dismiss Ralph or AJ for one isolated or series of incidents under extreme conditions..

Once while I was in high school I stepped on the calf of an opposing running back after the play was over because he was the top running back in the state and I wanted to put him out of the game. It is the cheapest thing I've ever done in football and I am ashamed today to say that I did it. I ran into the runningback years later and i apologized to him for what I did- he remembered and I am lucky he did not take at swing at me even though all that time had passed.

We all do things from time to time that we later regret- It's just that most of you do not have thousands around to witness the moment when you F up...

I would play with AJ anytime, anywhere. He is a man I admire and respect.

AJ will take whatever consequences are coming down the pike unflinchingly and he will move on with his life because that is the kind of man he is. He admits when he is wrong and he takes the lesson and moves on.

He will live to take someone's head off another day.

Allow me the chance to chime in for a moment:

AJ, from the first moment I saw you at your first camp here I've been impressed by your play and your work ethic. You've overcome a lot of tragedy both on and off the field that would have caused a weaker soul to pack it in long ago, and for all of that I've respected your abilities, intestinal fortitude, and attitude to the utmost.

Sadly what I saw at the end of that game was the first time I can recall feeling ashamed by your actions. I know why you reacted, but really wish you would have chosen another method, and as someone who has staunchly defended your play to those who have at times accused you of everything under the sun, I hate to say for a moment, I had to agree with them. That pisses me off.

Thanks for having the stones to admit your mistake. Please don't let it happen again.

Diez
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Anyone else here think Diesel has the required size to play Line Backer?

vCash

Im sure Diesel wouldnt mind suiting up for a few plays the next time the Esks play old Niki Lewis.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq
    Im sure Diesel wouldnt mind suiting up for a few plays the next time the Esks play old Niki Lewis.
    One play might be all it would take.

"Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by 5goridersgo5
    Hamilton should have taken the knee (immediately after the snap) on both first and second down and been left with about 5 seconds to kill on third down.
    Yeah, for Maas to try to kill time before taking the knee was a recipe for disaster.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by pope04
    Yeah, for Maas to try to kill time before taking the knee was a recipe for disaster.
    Yeah, and a "disaster" is just what took place. Give it up.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by MFOT
    Clean hit or not, you do NOT engage in Copelandesque celebrations while the guy is still on the field hurt.
    Did you STILL not get the memo? He was NOT hurt and Gass knew it.

Let's see the difference:

- Nik Lewis dancing around on the field while Wilsthire is laying on the ground in what I imagine was unbelievable pain (and knowing his career is likely over) as the doctors/trainers are trying to hold his busted knee together.

VERSUS

- AJ Gass showing his teammates on the bench how he cleanly nailed old Danny Mac, while he knew that McManus was completely fine and just wanted to lay on the field to catch his breath or whatever.

This just goes to prove that fans of other teams want to hate Gass, even if they have to bring up something that happend over a year ago that was perfectly fine, just looked bad on TV. They want to be say he's dirty, even though his reaction (it was a reaction not an action) in this past game was the first thing that he's done that really constitutes the definition of "dirty". Although, there are multiple "dirty" things that happen in every game that go unoticed by all of us. I bet if Jed was willing to name some people who he might've labeled as "dirty" during his playing days, there'd be some names none of us would ever even think of.

Gass comes on a website to admit his serious mistake/lack of judgement to all the fans - something he certainly didn't have to do, but says a lot about his character and the fact that he actually cares about what HIS fans think - not the losers from other teams who, again, love to hate him regardless.
    Last edited by Eskiediehard; 09-18-2006 at 03:54 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by esks77
    My worst play as a pro, in hind sight I should have filed it away and taken his head off next game. If all goes well I will still get that chance. With that being said I will ALWAYS be there for my team. B.O.N.E that means everything to me. #77
    The highlighted part is what pro-football is and always should be.

It is too bad you did what you did when you did it; but people make mistakes. Coming on here to talk to your fans is very admirable.

I'll admit I was never a fan and will continue not to be, but this post does make me hate you less.

I hope the league starts suspending unnecessary hits on the knees so all this crap can end.

PS, if you get a chance, try and find Lewis over the middle one time too.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PhilAxler

It is too bad you did what you did when you did it; but people make mistakes. Coming on here to talk to your fans is very admirable.

I'll admit I was never a fan and will continue not to be, but this post does make me hate you less.

I hope the league starts suspending unnecessary hits on the knees so all this crap can end.

Classy post. Props to you.

But I bet if Gass is ever wearing Rider green, you'd eventually become a fan. Fans of other teams may never like the guy, but there's a good reason he's a fan favourite and one of the most popular players to ever wear the EE.

vCash

It's unfortunate that things like this occur in professional sports, but getting into a pissing contest about what was worse or who instigated what is moot. What has happened has happened, and I'm glad that AJ responded to his fans on this site the way he did; although he may have had reason to get that angry, he acted unprofessionally, and took account only for his actions. For those of us who have defended him, it lessens the shock of what transpired somewhat; as an Eskimo fan in IWS who witnessed the incident, it was difficult to see exactly what had enraged AJ to respond in that manner. I was quite disappointed and in fact disgusted at what took place, and when asked by Hamiltonians and other fans alike about my opinion, I made no excuses or apologies, and condemned the reaction truthfully, as what it was - unprofessional. Despite his reputation, AJ IS bigger than that, and he'll have to pay for his actions, as he suggests; but I am glad to see that he has taken responsibility for his part.
    "ODERINT DUM METUANT" - Let them hate, so long as they fear.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by UPP
    Funny how Esksfans are the only ones who see Gass' act as justified or not that bad. Could be you're looking at things with rose coloured glasses. Just remember that, when you're beaking CGY fans for backing la femme Nikita Lewis for his completely legal hit or when Rider fans are ticked at their players getting fined/suspended for infractions the refs themselves didn't call penalties on.

You are all alone in your support for A.J. and that says something.
    All fans look from one point of view. As a Rider fan I am sure you know about that.
    If we were put on this earth to help others, what were the others put on earth for?

vCash

Boy, I can't wait to chime in on this one, unfortunately its going to have to wait a couple of days.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

looking forward to it
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

All I have to say is respect to AJ for not putting up with BS! I would lay money down that if he got his way it would have been bare knuckle fight night, however, without helmets, Ralph would be running scared. Defending your teamates is 100% maning up. (how he did it is very questionable) Nothing but respect to A.J for attempting to do what he felt was right...(swing em next time...LOL) save the kicking duties for Wad!

B.O.N.E in it's highest form
    Escalators never actually "break".... they become stairs
    ~ Mitch Hedberg

vCash

Well, I've just caught up on what transpired, and once again, from an oppositions fan's POV, the usual suspects understand that what AJ did was wrong, but not the end of the world. The trolls are just that.

AJ, you tried to kick a player, and that is wrong. However, your accountability for your actions is exactly why I have a ton of respect for you as a CFL player. Full marks for facing the music.

As for the trolls, and you know who you are, there is a big difference between listening to someone and waiting for them to finish so you can open your yaps. Try to figure out the difference.
    "We knew, in that huddle, there was a group destined to apply the kind of pressure that had not been seen before." - Mike Singletary

"Hitter backers don't bleed." - Mike Ditka

Quote Originally Posted by Numberz
    I still think AJ is a great player, and he's not dirty. It's football...I was moved to linebacker this year at my high school, and now I understand better the defensive mindset. What AJ does on the field is exactly what I try to do when I go out and play.

That said, I don't condone what AJ did on the final play, but he's owning up to his mistake and I know he's a professional...my message to him is to just keep on playing like he's been playing...we need that aggressiveness back on the defense.
    AJ is the one of the cheapest players in the CFL
    Rider fans and Esk fans have only 1 thing in common....... we both hate Calgary

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Purely Green
    AJ is the one of the cheapest players in the CFL
    OK then. Here's your home-work, smart boy. First, list us all the reasons YOU know for a FACT that Gass is a "cheap player". In other words, give us some proof of your satement (hint: don't bother with the McMannus hit - you'll just get laughed at). Second, name the other "cheap" players in the CFL. My bet is none of them have ever played for the Riders. Ironic.

If you're such a know-it-all, you should be able to have a lot of factual information to back your claim and statement. Otherwise, you are just a FOLLOWER (i.e. "I believe/read what other people tell me to, I don't know how to how to gather facts to make my own un-biased opinion).

You remind me of a little kid running up to a house, throwing a rock through the window, and then running away all scared. Grow up.
    Last edited by Eskiediehard; 09-18-2006 at 06:25 PM.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Jase
    Well, I've just caught up on what transpired, and once again, from an oppositions fan's POV, the usual suspects understand that what AJ did was wrong, but not the end of the world. The trolls are just that.

AJ, you tried to kick a player, and that is wrong. However, your accountability for your actions is exactly why I have a ton of respect for you as a CFL player. Full marks for facing the music.

As for the trolls, and you know who you are, there is a big difference between listening to someone and waiting for them to finish so you can open your yaps. Try to figure out the difference.
    Props to you too. You have class.

vCash

I just want to inform people that MFOT does not speak on behalf on Rider fans.

...carry on....

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by bceskiesfan
    I think most diehard Eskies fans on this board understand why you did what you did. To me, going for someone's knee on the last play of the game when the QB is taking a knee is far worse than kicking at the "offender" when he is on the ground. Hopefully the CFL will stand up and finally take issue with those players that choose to cross the line and dish out dirty hits like the one we saw from Ralph last night.

I'm curious as to why it takes a "die-hard Eskies fan" to understand what Gass did. Couldn't any old die-hard football fan understand it, if it is so understandable?

Perhaps you mean "condone", rather than "understand"?

vCash

I'm curious to know how exactly Gass got the title of a dirty player. I can't recall any previous incidents where his intent was to purposely injure someone, etc...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by PhilAxler

Bolded part: Uh thanks, I guess...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by esks4life
    I'm curious to know how exactly Gass got the title of a dirty player. I can't recall any previous incidents where his intent was to purposely injure someone, etc...
    AJ has always played on the edge, heck he's more mild now than when he first came into the league, he took a fair number of penalties then. But he's a throw back linebacker, it's pro football and you have to be nasty at times.

(and btw I've seen way way worse stuff numerous times in rec football believe me.)

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by esks77
    My worst play as a pro, in hind sight I should have filed it away and taken his head off next game. If all goes well I will still get that chance. With that being said I will ALWAYS be there for my team. B.O.N.E that means everything to me. #77
    Thanks for coming here to post this AJ.

You've been one of, if not my favourite player over the past few seasons. Players like you are one of the biggest reasons that I've always been so proud to be an Eskimo fan. Your determinaton, desire and intensity are second to none. You're one of the elite defensive players in the league, and due to the combination of your talent and heart, you've been a huge part of the Esk teams in your time here.

Having said that, seeing the kick hurt. It hurt because, while I don't know you personally, from all the stories of your personal struggles, your struggles through injuries and the way that you've always played the game - I've felt that you're better than that, and I still do. I fully understand the reasons for the kick, and Ralph deserved it... I just hope next time you find him on the field and drill him.

Everyone makes mistakes, and I'd be a hypocrite to say otherwise. It takes a real man to admit that he's made a mistake, and you've done that. Here's hoping that you can take this lesson to heart and become an even better person for it. Keep up the great work on the field, best of luck with any disciplinary action taken against you, and here's hoping to the addition of a few more rings before you're retired.
    Last edited by PDO; 09-18-2006 at 07:47 PM.

vCash

WISH EVERYONE ON ESKS D. HAD AJ'S ATTITUDE. The hit to the back of Ricky Ray's legs by Wayne Shaw from behind was total crap IMO. In the same league as Nick Lewis block, showed a total lack of respect for a fellow athlete. If the CFL looks at AJ's wayward kick then Shaw's helmet first hit on RR from behind looked at.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by turftoe27
    The hit to the back of Ricky Ray's legs by Wayne Shaw from behind was total crap IMO. .
    Forgot about that. Can't believe Ray got up after that one.

vCash
    Blog Entries

WISH EVERYONE ON ESKS D. HAD AJ'S ATTITUDE. The hit to the back of Ricky Ray's legs by Wayne Shaw from behind was total crap IMO. In the same league as Nick Lewis block, showed a total lack of respect for a fellow athlete. If the CFL looks at AJ's wayward kick then Shaw's helmet first hit on RR from behind looked at.
    In defence of Shaw, his helmet actually hit Ray in the ass. It then glanced off his soft buttocks and carried forward into this knee. It looked worse than it really was IMO.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

That was a hit you'd hope to have lined up. Nothing wrong with it at all.

vCash

Guys,
    I honestly don't believe that what AJ did was that bad. What happens often is that if any player. I am somewhat 'old school' in that players should be policing themselves quickly and equally.
    I witnessed a soccer game where a player, as he was getting up from a tackle kneed an oppnent who was on the ground directly in tha face. A teammate of the fallen grabbed the rather diminutive player by the throat and stated that he and any of his teammates would not be doing that again.

I see many similarities between that instance and what happened on Saturday...
    I have OILERS season seats for sale dead centre ice and aisle seats - PM me for details!