Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After a few days to digest....

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Critique After a few days to digest....

Going to try and make it a habit of disecting the Esks post game performance a day or so after the game this season. That said here goes in no particular order:

Ray did not have a very good game by his standards. Went to the well too often with Woodcock and paid for it dearly with a pick that he telegraphed for about a day and a half. He was getting plenty of time but his confidence got rattled after the INTs.

Is it me or does Jason Tucker really need to step things up? Saw more than our share of un-Tuck like drops in TC and already a few in the regular season. The 2nd down drop where he ran the corner route where it went off his hands is a catch he absolutely has to make this season with him being the straw that stirs the drink in this revamped receiving core.

We really could have stood to gain by establishing the running game in the second quarter.

Lack of Defensive NI Depth affecting the outcome of a game, Exhibit #1 : Roundtree would have been a much better solution when Lefsrud went down rather than Rhett " Ole' " McLane. Brutal job in giving up a free shot on your breadwinner there. Meanwhile our #2 overal pick languishes on the 9 GIR

Our secondary flat out sucks balls right now! Two games, two examples of teams going over the top for big gains over and over again. Somebody give Buhl a blanket so he can cover someone. What has happened to this guy in the offseason??? Morgan and Goss aren't making plays. Again, a lack of NI depth requires us to do a double move in the secondary. This group is a very expensive dud right now. Pick it up!

Dline played very good against the run for 3 1/2 quarters but got worn down by a very physical Lions line. I was incenced that our only blitz packages 90% of the time are from the outside where we get next to no actual pressure. We showed that in pre season, up the gut pressure get's DD rattled much easier.

We had the opportunities to make plays on offence but missed too many chances. Acree needs to make those catches in the endzone, don't care how, just make em.

McCarty got owned on that punt block by a DB???? C'mon kid WTF??

Discipline- Onatolu what in God's name where you thinking?? BRUTAL EFFORT on what should have been instant points. Bakker is once again a holding machine and accross the board we shot ourselves in the foot. That said.....

The Zebras obviously had a color blindness issue. How does Ray's facemask NOT get called??!!??!!?? If it's not a facemask it's a hit to the head FFS!! Un freaking believable. McGrath get's a hands to the face call, yet Murphy is shown on three different replays doing the same thing to both Abdullah and Braidwood yet no call?? Plus, Murphy pancaking a guy is fine, no issues there, but putting your forearm across a guys throat is a 15yd penalty. Dropping your knees on a guy is a 15yd penalty....just brutal how in a very physical game, the majority of the LOS calls went decidely one way. Send that zebra back to Kokanee....

Antico Dalton - I think I saw him on a milk carton this morning. Anyone? Anyone? Get well soon AJ

This team had a chance but fell appart after the blocked punt. While some of friday's game can be chalked up to growing pains, the majority came down to poor execution. BC was very beatable and we gave one away.
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

Re: After a few days to digest....

why does your game thoughts warrant a stand alone thread -when there is already one going ?

just bugging

vCash

Good assessment Diesel. And it warants standing alone.

It's going on three years where reffing decisions have been odd in that city.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

The thing with Tuck is they need to be consistently going to him 8-9-10 times a game. Not 5 or 6. He is the go to guy so make him look like the go to guy. What I would love to see in the Winnipeg game is Chapdelaine calling plays to give Tuck and Gaylor a lot more than against BC.
    Tucker = Clutch

vCash

We always get totally screwed by the reffing in BC place I've come to expect it and accept it. No other team or stadium do we get flat out screwed over than BC place.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker83 View Post
    The thing with Tuck is they need to be consistently going to him 8-9-10 times a game. Not 5 or 6. He is the go to guy so make him look like the go to guy. What I would love to see in the Winnipeg game is Chapdelaine calling plays to give Tuck and Gaylor a lot more than against BC.
    I agree with this Tucker needs alot more action than the occasional ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I don't think that you will get any different take from the man himself, in fact most of us try to live by that line.
    Clermont #82

If I say any thing nice about the Eskimos here, always remember I am Lion all the time.

crede quod habes, et habes

Eskimo two word sumation........Enigmatically Eskimo's

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I think that we would utilize Tucker a lot more, but the problem is that he's often double-teamed or at least in tight coverage. In fact, Ray's first inteception resulted because the DB had a blanket over Tucker. He's established a reputation as a star receiver and he's usually the key guy that opposing secondaries are told to focus on. Because of this, Ray needs to depend on the less well-known names such as Woodcock, Nowacki and Ebell. It's a catch-22 for Tucker: because he's a star, defences are going to concentrate on him, which lessens his receptions and deflates his numbers.
    "The longer that I'm married, the more I realize that the wife is right" - Angelus, July 24, 2010

vCash

For next week I hope McCledon starts, we give them as much of those Acree 12 yard outs as we did in the opener and I would like offence to focus more around Gaylor and Tucker.
    Tucker = Clutch

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Is it me or does Jason Tucker really need to step things up? Saw more than our share of un-Tuck like drops in TC and already a few in the regular season. The 2nd down drop where he ran the corner route where it went off his hands is a catch he absolutely has to make this season with him being the straw that stirs the drink in this revamped receiving core.
    He doesn't look too comfortable in this offence, or maybe it is the loss of Hervey, and Mitchell around him, but he doesn't look like the same receiver.

If he is playing the Geroy Simon role, I don't know if he is physical enough to do that.

The Zebras obviously had a color blindness issue. How does Ray's facemask NOT get called??!!??!!?? If it's not a facemask it's a hit to the head FFS!! Un freaking believable. McGrath get's a hands to the face call, yet Murphy is shown on three different replays doing the same thing to both Abdullah and Braidwood yet no call?? Plus, Murphy pancaking a guy is fine, no issues there, but putting your forearm across a guys throat is a 15yd penalty. Dropping your knees on a guy is a 15yd penalty....just brutal how in a very physical game, the majority of the LOS calls went decidely one way. Send that zebra back to Kokanee....
    Diez you are a smart football fan, you know missed calls go both ways

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBrr View Post
    He doesn't look too comfortable in this offence, or maybe it is the loss of Hervey, and Mitchell around him, but he doesn't look like the same receiver.

If he is playing the Geroy Simon role, I don't know if he is physical enough to do that.

He doesnt look comfortable because he isnt getting the ball enough. JMO
    Tucker = Clutch

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Tucker83 View Post
    He doesnt look comfortable because he isnt getting the ball enough. JMO
    I think he isn't getting the ball cause he isn't getting open, but same as you, just my opinion.

Diesel is offline The Ayatolla of Rye & Cola

Super Moderator, 2009 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

That one was woefully obvious. When a QB is running for daylight and his head is jerked down and spun 180, what gives...
    I hit them as hard as I could on the mouth right from the start of the game so they were thinking this was going to be a long day. Sooner or later one of us had to quit. And it wasn't going to be me.
    - Dan Kepley

vCash

I do agree about the missed penalty - just ridiculous. It might have made a difference in the game, perhaps even the outcome. But, that said, the team doesn't have it together enough to bounce back from adversity. A great team might lose a game because of something like that, particularly late in the game, but the Esks were blown out.

I'm afraid there's a long way to go yet. I thought before the season started that a crossover was the way we might get into the playoffs. It'd be nice if we could at least finish third, but I just can't see it. Still, there are a few games left to make me a believer - but they'd better get to work on it, because right now, I ain't feelin' too good about it....

vCash

That one was woefully obvious. When a QB is running for daylight and his head is jerked down and spun 180, what gives...
    Yup. When a blatant one like that is missed, you have to wonder.
    This space for rent. Cheap.

Delivery charges may apply.

vCash

I think he isn't getting the ball cause he isn't getting open, but same as you, just my opinion.
    Fair enough
    Tucker = Clutch

vCash
    Blog Entries

And how many Esks games have you seen in person? 'Cause when I watch on TV, it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to tell which receivers are open and how well the secondary is playing.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash
    Blog Entries

Missed calls may go both ways. But in this game, the actual calls only went one way.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    And how many Esks games have you seen in person? 'Cause when I watch on TV, it's EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to tell which receivers are open and how well the secondary is playing.
    Basically because I assume that Tucker is more often than not the first look on passing play, and Ray is gonna find a way to get him the ball even if he is slightly open.

Ray seems to be going through his checks a lot, even when he has time. Leads me to believe Tucker isn't all that open.

vCash

They probably missed the call, and it would piss me off too, all I am saying is most likely BC had some missed calls too.

vCash

The officiating isn't biased against any 1 team. It just sucks. It just so happens that Edmonton got screwed much more than BC. And they did.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Missed calls may go both ways. But in this game, the actual calls only went one way.
    I would wager that at best your missed calls were more obvious, but that it wasn't a one way street.

vCash

I would wager that at best your missed calls were more obvious, but that it wasn't a one way street.

Oh, I agree they probably missed them both ways...the biggest issue was that we were the only ones getting called.

I don't think BC's OL took one in-play penalty all night...when there were CLEARLY multiple plays that could've/should've been called.

I don't mind them missing a few, and yeah, they probably missed a couple on us too...but ALL of them? Not right.

Miss half both ways, or even 40/60, I can live with...not 30/100. (Percentages denoting missed calls on plays that should be penalties.)
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo fan 2 View Post
    Oh, I agree they probably missed them both ways...the biggest issue was that we were the only ones getting called.

I don't think BC's OL took one in-play penalty all night...when there were CLEARLY multiple plays that could've/should've been called.

I don't mind them missing a few, and yeah, they probably missed a couple on us too...but ALL of them? Not right.

Miss half both ways, or even 40/60, I can live with...not 30/100. (Percentages denoting missed calls on plays that should be penalties.)
    Fair enough

vCash

Personally, I expected the offense to spudder this game if only for the following reasons:

1) There was a TONNE of game-film from last week highlighting the Esks air-offense. I am assuming that the EE are still attempting to set up and perfect the foundational plays of this offense, so I believe that very little was attempted in terms of wrinkles in this week's package. We showed A LOT of offense against Winni...

2) Buono might as well have handed last year's playbook to the D... JC might be on a different team, but I'm guessing Buono knows his tendencies pretty well. In the 1st quarter, (before we went to what appeared to be DM's offense) I saw a lot of routes being jumped - part of that had to do with excessive telegraphing by RR, but I believe that it also had to do with a certain knowledge of the tendencies of this offense.

3) The boys probably felt pretty good about themselves after putting up 39 against Winni. Perhaps they came in a little over-confident against a good BC defense?

I agree that the missed facemask was quite costly, over and above the (likely) 4 points that we lost because of it. It seemed to set the stage for further frustration... but this situation will happen again this season, likely even next game. Hopefully they have learned a bit about taking a blown call in stride, and attempting to forget about it on the next series.

Either way, I believe that it is very correctible.

I felt that the D was OK... certainly not adequate. I thought that Buhl was terrible, Morgan was terrifically beaten on some key plays, and Goss wasn't much better. But these guys were forced to cover an excellent receiving core for ~ 5 seconds per play with little to no help, as our big boys up front weren't getting it done, and our OLB were either being assassinated on long patterns, or invisible (Dalton must have worn the wrong jersey...). We knew that the tackles were solid for BC, yet we did not muster a creative stunt package to get to DD, instead constantly resorting to allowing it to be a 1-1 battle for each of Braidwood and Abdullah.

If a primarily man-style defense is to work, the EE coaching staff and players are going to have to improve the packages and effort to apply pressure. I have very little faith that Campbell can effectively implement a zone, and EE have the right personnel to run his style of defence... they just have to actually run it! 3-Man fronts are a joke, especially if we are running one of our terrible zone packages behind it. Each time they run it, I anticipate a 6 yard pass that becomes 8-9 with YAC... and that's being optimistic

However, I was pleased that we were able to hold the BC offense for the first half. It appeared that frustration and fatigue were obviously involved in the meltdown towards the end.

I still have confidence that our defense will be impressive this year, but it'll take some time...
    "We are thought of highly by those without jobs. Follow us, hippies, for we are the dopemen... because we wear corduroys."

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsdoorstep View Post
    The officiating isn't biased against any 1 team. It just sucks. It just so happens that Edmonton got screwed much more than BC. And they did.

Then why are BC games in BC always like this (timeclock and whatnot)?

I was going to post before the game the feeling that the refs would be a factor and it would be under odd circumstances.
    Placing the Alberta Flag on the Calgary Flames uniform is akin to putting lipstick on a Pig
    Pizmo Loves Nanookster

vCash

'Nook, what you're saying is possible. The refs always do seem to be a factor in BC place.
    "Of all the so-called virtues, the most over-rated is faith" - Christopher Hitchens

vCash

They probably missed the call, and it would piss me off too, all I am saying is most likely BC had some missed calls too.
    Missing a holding call or a offside call is pretty minor compared to a face mask. Things that can cause injury such as ripping a face mask or shots to the head can not be missed.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash

The thing that bothers me about the refs is how lop sided the Esks penalties were. I didn't see a final tally but towards the end of the game, TSN showed the stats and the penalites were something like 15-5. I know the esks were undiciplined but 3 times as bad? Come on here. I can't even remember how many hold penalties the Esks got and the Lions got little if any. There is holding on pretty much every single play and how is it not call at least a couple of times on the Lions?
    Last edited by Sectionq; 07-09-2007 at 09:55 AM.
    Remember winning is not enough according to Len Rhodes, President of a professional sports team.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sectionq View Post
    The thing that bothers me about the refs is how lop sided the Esks penalties were. I didn't see a final tally but towards the end of the game, TSN showed the stats and the penalites were something like 15-5. I know the esks were undiciplined but 3 times as bad? Come on here. I can't even remember how many hold penalties the Esks got and the Lions got little if any. There is holding on pretty much every single play and how is it not call at least a couple of times on the Lions?
    That upset me as well. You can't tell me that for 60 mins against Braidwood and Abdullah they didn't hold a few times...

Yet I don't remember a single holding call against them.