Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32404142
Results 1,231 to 1,253 of 1253

Thread: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

  1. #1231
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,748
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    Just finished ep 5 last night. Incredible. It was almost a perfect hour of television.
    I started watching based on the response on Esksfans. Didn't find episode 5 significantly more outstanding than the other episodes.

    I agree with boydo. Not over the top scary. More creepy. Certainly not vomit worthy.

    I am enjoying it though. Great casting as the characters are interesting and I want to see what happens next. I'm finding it more like a mystery story. So far 8/10

  2. #1232
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,966
    vCash
    5080
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    I'm watching the series for the second time this week. The director, Mike Flanagan, in my opinion is a brilliant new force in the film world. Don't want to give away any spoilers, but there is so much that happens (in the shadows) that you don't catch the first time around - but it adds so much to the atmosphere of the presentation. Episode six is filmed so much like a play; other than a few dramatic moments, there are only five camera cuts in the entire episode. Stunning movie (tv) making. Flanagan is quickly becoming my new favorite director. His next project is the sequel to Stephen King's "The Shining", called "Doctor Sleep" set for theatrical release in 2020. Can't wait.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  3. #1233
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,835
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I started watching based on the response on Esksfans. Didn't find episode 5 significantly more outstanding than the other episodes.
    Really? This surprises me.

    Especially coming off episode 4 which was the worst of the series, I thought ep 5 was brilliant in so many ways.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  4. #1234
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,748
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    I thought ep 6 was the best of the series. The tension, the conflict, the spookiness, the camera work - loved that one.

    The finale, I felt, was weak. Too much getting wrapped up too neatly with either too simplistic or too complicated of explanations. I think that may have dropped my overall score from a 8 to a 7/10. Maybe 7.5.

  5. #1235
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,966
    vCash
    5080
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There



    This is an interesting video to watch if anyone is interested in some subtle filming techniques used in The Haunting of Hill House series.
    *** Spoilers*** so watch with that warning.

    I really like how the director created a subliminal mood for the house by planting these brief images. Most were impossible to see watching in real time - I caught a few of them on my second watch of the series.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  6. #1236
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Spruce Grove
    Posts
    6,931
    vCash
    100
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    I liked how it all tied up at the end and how it showed the different "views" of the same situations at times. Overall it was a decent show with cool directing but it definitely wasn't the vomit inducing scarefest that I was led to believe it would be. "The Gentlemen" in Buffy were scarier...
    Overheard at Spirit of Edmonton.
    Boydo - Jeez Sean I always forget how tall you are...
    Wad - Thatís ok Boydo, we remember how short you are! (As Swerve chuckles and nods while drinking his Coors)

  7. #1237
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,835
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    I thought ep 6 was the best of the series. The tension, the conflict, the spookiness, the camera work - loved that one.

    The finale, I felt, was weak. Too much getting wrapped up too neatly with either too simplistic or too complicated of explanations. I think that may have dropped my overall score from a 8 to a 7/10. Maybe 7.5.
    Ep6 was also fantastic. The tracking shots were amazing.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  8. #1238
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,835
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    I liked how it all tied up at the end and how it showed the different "views" of the same situations at times. Overall it was a decent show with cool directing but it definitely wasn't the vomit inducing scarefest that I was led to believe it would be. "The Gentlemen" in Buffy were scarier...
    The jump scare in the car (episode 8) was unreal. I think I literally screamed.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  9. #1239
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    The jump scare in the car (episode 8) was unreal. I think I literally screamed.
    I almost never react to jump scares, and I almost **** myself there. I really didn't expect anything when it happened.

    Episode 6, I actually didn't really like the acting, but was very impressed by the way they shot it. Because of the shooting method though, I could live with the acting job, because it was basically like watching a recorded live play. It was very original way to tell a story, particularly on a show that generally relied on special effects to go that way for one episode.

  10. #1240
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,835
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post


    This is an interesting video to watch if anyone is interested in some subtle filming techniques used in The Haunting of Hill House series.
    *** Spoilers*** so watch with that warning.

    I really like how the director created a subliminal mood for the house by planting these brief images. Most were impossible to see watching in real time - I caught a few of them on my second watch of the series.
    Oh man, this is awesome. I think I only saw one of them (the face behind the ladder leading to the hidden underground room).
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  11. #1241
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,835
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    I almost never react to jump scares, and I almost **** myself there. I really didn't expect anything when it happened.

    Episode 6, I actually didn't really like the acting, but was very impressed by the way they shot it. Because of the shooting method though, I could live with the acting job, because it was basically like watching a recorded live play. It was very original way to tell a story, particularly on a show that generally relied on special effects to go that way for one episode.
    The only time I kind of scoffed at the acting was when Theo fell by the couch.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  12. #1242
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,966
    vCash
    5080
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    The only time I kind of scoffed at the acting was when Theo fell by the couch.
    Yeah... me too. I guess because of the complexity of the long single shot, I let it slide. I'm guessing her performance was probably a huge challenge during that long stretch because of the need to act inebriated.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  13. #1243
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,371
    vCash
    14022
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Just watched the 13th season finale of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Wow.

    For a show that thrives or gutter humor from shallow, horrible (albeit hilarious) characters, the ending of this episode was really moving. It's completely out of character with the rest of the show, but that contrast makes it even more powerful.

  14. #1244
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,966
    vCash
    5080
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Just watched the 13th season finale of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Wow.

    For a show that thrives or gutter humor from shallow, horrible (albeit hilarious) characters, the ending of this episode was really moving. It's completely out of character with the rest of the show, but that contrast makes it even more powerful.
    yeah... never watched the show, but hearing amazing things about this season's finale from all the people I know that do watch. 13 seasons already? Wow!
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  15. #1245
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sitting in front of a pint
    Posts
    4,371
    vCash
    14022
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    yeah... never watched the show, but hearing amazing things about this season's finale from all the people I know that do watch. 13 seasons already? Wow!
    The show is best described as Seinfeld on crack. A group of friends, each of them with exaggerated character flaws, find themselves in an outrageous scenario in each episode. Save for the last episode, it's mostly fluff, crudely funny escapism that you don't have to think too hard over.

  16. #1246
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    7,748
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    79

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Angelus View Post
    The jump scare in the car (episode 8) was unreal. I think I literally screamed.
    Most of the time you knew something was going to happen. The lead up tension was maybe even more thrilling than the actual scare.

    But in the car scene, they lulled you into comfort. There was no build up. Just out of the blue terror! It was great!

  17. #1247
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    203

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bobby View Post
    Most of the time you knew something was going to happen. The lead up tension was maybe even more thrilling than the actual scare.

    But in the car scene, they lulled you into comfort. There was no build up. Just out of the blue terror! It was great!
    at what point in the episode is this? I'm watching it with my family and want to record their reactions
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  18. #1248
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,234
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    57

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    at what point in the episode is this? I'm watching it with my family and want to record their reactions
    Why would we spoil the surprise for you. And wouldn't filming them put them on to the fact something's about to happen.

  19. #1249
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    203

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by bone View Post
    Why would we spoil the surprise for you. And wouldn't filming them put them on to the fact something's about to happen.
    going to be sneaky about it
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  20. #1250
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    19,835
    vCash
    1000
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    95

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Looner View Post
    at what point in the episode is this? I'm watching it with my family and want to record their reactions
    35 min mark
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

  21. #1251
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    10,966
    vCash
    5080
    Rep Power
    431

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Coming to Netflix Canada for December

    https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/11/20/n...december-2018/
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

  22. #1252
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Spruce Grove AB
    Posts
    6,560
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    203

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    Quote Originally Posted by Hugoagogo View Post
    Coming to Netflix Canada for December

    https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/11/20/n...december-2018/
    love wentworth, cant wait
    Edmonton Eskimos, 2015 grey cup CHAMPS!!!!!

  23. #1253
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    The Capital Region
    Posts
    3,448
    vCash
    1000
    Rep Power
    42

    Re: The TV Mega-Thread: The Truth is Out There

    I know it's too network/mainstream for a lot of people around here but I'm finding Manifest to be quite compelling.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •