Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (HBO) - Final Season: April 14, 2019

vCash
    Blog Entries

TV Game of Thrones (HBO) - Final Season: April 14, 2019

Well, way back in 2007 I started this thread:

http://www.esksfans.com/forum/showth...BO!&highlight=

Naturally, it got a grand total of zero replies.

But three years later, this show has been greenlit and is filming as we speak. The show is based on the following fantasy series by George R.R. Martin:

Don't let the word fantasy scare you as they involve very little magic and read more like midevil history where politics are as important as skill with a sword. These are gritty and adult novels where no character is safe and the lines between good and evil do not exist.

Each season is going to be based on one book. Season 1 will be 10 episodes long and they are currently negotiating whether or not season 2 will be greenlit before season 1 even airs! This is probably the most anticipated TV show ever with whole websites dedicated to the smallest details of this show, see winter is coming for more.

I'm probably a little early with this thread as it doesn't premiere until Spring of 2011 (probably March), but I am so excited for this show I thought I would pimp the hell out of it before then.

Here is an up to date cast list.
    http://winter-is-coming.net/features/cast/

Here are some cool vids.

Teaser 1:

Teaser 2:

Behind the scenes featurette:

WINTER IS COMING!
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO) - Anticipation Thread

cool... I played the CCG "game of thrones" many years ago and read the first book.. can't wait

vCash

I too am excited for this. The description I read was "Lord of the Rings meets The Sopranos". Yeah, ****ing sold.

Anyone catch Boardwalk Empire last night? Now THAT's a pilot! Felt like a one hour Scorsese movie, kind of like Goodfellas set in the 20s.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Traxy View Post
    I too am excited for this. The description I read was "Lord of the Rings meets The Sopranos". Yeah, ****ing sold.

Anyone catch Boardwalk Empire last night? Now THAT's a pilot! Felt like a one hour Scorsese movie, kind of like Goodfellas set in the 20s.
    I have it on my PVR. Will hopefully get to it tonight.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Looks pretty darn cool and right up my alley. Sigh, looks like i might have to get HBO, yet another add on to my cable bill.

I also didn't realize that the Boardwalk Empire was on last night. The previews were interesting and I wanted to see it. I watch a real horror show on my pvr last night, the Eskimos game.

vCash

Woah...how have I not read this series?

This stuff is TOTALLY what I like to read!

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muley69 View Post
    Woah...how have I not read this series?

This stuff is TOTALLY what I like to read!
    You should read it. Everyone I know who has read it, absolutely loves it. That includes my wife who is not a fantasy reader at all...

edit: Just a caution that this is a planned 7 book series and only 4 are out now and we've been waiting a LONG LONG time for something new...and with Martin increasing in age, there is some serious doubt that the series will ever be finished. Still worth it though.
    Last edited by Angelus; 09-20-2010 at 12:29 PM.

vCash

Did you read the Sword of Truth series?

Now THAT was epic.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Muley69 View Post
    Did you read the Sword of Truth series?

Now THAT was epic.
    Is that Goodkind? I know a bunch of people who make fun of it because of all the

rape

But Martin will ruin generic fantasy for you. You'll throw out all your Robert Jordan, Terry Goodkind, David Eddings, etc. and look for more gritty works like Joe Abercrombie's First Law and Scott Lynch's Locke Lamora...
    Last edited by Angelus; 09-20-2010 at 03:03 PM.

vCash

I hope they do a better job of the show than whomever did the "Sword of Truth" series with "Legend of the Seeker".

Boy, that series is a god awful P.O.S. representation of the books.

vCash

check out the guy who is finishing up Robert Jordan's 'Wheel of Time' series - Brandon Sanderson. I read his 'Mistborn' trilogy and let me tell you, it is mind blowing! Absolutely brilliant!

( Yes, I am actually finishing the 'WoT' series because I just have to know how it ends after so long)
    "Because this Eskimo experience is not made for just anyone" - KP

vCash

Looks cool. I've have to check out both the books and the show. I'm on book 7 of the WoT series now, so I've got a little reading to do before I pick up another series, but I'll put that on my "to read" list.

I did watch the first episode of Boardwalk Empire. A lot to digest from the first episode, this may be the kind of series that you have to watch through a couple times.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Time for another bump to hype this show some more!

More pictures here:
    http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,2038...2931_1,00.html

Quotes from the cast:

Mark Addy: ”It’s time-consuming, shooting riding. It’s hard to portray a fearsome warrior who was merciless in his pursuit of power. There was talk like ‘Why are they turning the king into a clown?’ because I’ve been in funny stuff before. But I think once they see it, the fans will love this.”

Lena Headey on Cersei: “She’s really complex. She’s got a spiral down into a bit of madness.”

Nikolaj Coster-Waldau on Jaime: ”He has the chance to go from being Darth Vader to being something quite different.”

Sean Bean: ”The story is so different from what we’re used to seeing on television.”

Michelle Fairley (gets it): “It’s not so much fantasy. It’s really gutsy and glorious. We just happen to be wearing costumes and armor.”

WINTER IS COMING: March 2011

vCash
    Blog Entries

The first official trailer that aired just minutes ago on HBO:

vCash

Wow...that looks fantastic.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Reaction to last night's trailer:

HBO stumbled a little this fall with their much ballyhooed but ultimately underwhelming Boardwalk Empire, meant to be the new jewel to fit into the Sopranos-sized hole in the crown, but in Thrones they might have a second chance at recapturing old must-see-TV glory.
    Richard Lawson, Gawker

This minute-long trailer looks very promising, focusing on provincial nobleman Ned Stark, the character through whom the audience initially encounters the story’s intrigues. And to my eye it has the right dirty, lived in look for a series that will challenge some viewers’ ideas of what fantasy looks like on the screen—more swords than sorcery, played out in a society where magic is mostly a legacy of the distant past. (Or so its people believe.)
    James Poniewozik, Time Magazine

A new trailer for Game of Thrones, HBO’s adaptation of George R.R. Martin’s best-selling series, has hit, and whether or not you’re familiar with the tome, it looks intriguing.
    Mandi Bierly, Entertainment Weekly

Winter is coming, and we have never been more excited to freeze our butts off. If you were watching HBO’s “Boardwalk Empire” last night, you were already treated to these two awesome sneak peeks at “Game of Thrones” but if you missed them then grab some tissues because you’re about to drool all over yourself. Can you handle the Dinklage?
    Terri Schwartz, MTV.com

With both “Boardwalk Empire” and “The Walking Dead” ending their respective seasons this Sunday, what’s a cable-series junkie left to watch? The answer: HBO’s “Game of Thrones,” which debuts in 2011.
    Wall Street Journal

Nerd alert overdrive! HBO has released a new teaser trailer for Game of Thrones, and I am totally on board. The drama is based on the adult fantasy series from renowned author George R.R. Martin, and makes The Lord of the Rings look like a pillow fight between 40-pound toddlers.
    Tim Surette, TV.com

For my money, HBO is the best producer of original programming out there right now. While their hit-to-miss ratio might not be as good as AMC’s (which has managed to go 3.5 for 4, earning the second seating after NBC), they have the advantage of time and more shows under their belt. However, the one thing HBO hasn’t tackled yet is the fantasy genre. And it looks like Game of Thrones is their answer to that.
    Sam Morgan, Hollywood.com

In recent weeks we’ve been getting our first tastes of what the HBO series will bring to the table, and while I’ve remained skeptical that it could be done justice, I have to admit what’s been shown so far is promising. Images of Peter Dinklage as Tyrion are pure perfection. Now we have the second trailer for the series from HBO, giving us a clearer look at what this fantasy epic is all about.

You can watch the trailer for yourself. Then marvel at how this is shaping up to be to television fantasy what Lord of the Rings was to film.

Steve West, Television Blend

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well, I think HBO realizes this is only the most anticipated show EVER and have given us crazy fans yet another behind the scenes featurette.

Looks like they've settled on a premiere date in April 2011.
    Last edited by Angelus; 12-05-2010 at 08:11 PM.

vCash
    Blog Entries

A premiere date has been announced: April 17th
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/01/07/ga...premiere-date/

vCash

Re: Game of Thrones (HBO) - Anticipation Thread - April 17, 2011

I'm hoping to have read the first book by then. It could be close, I just started book 10 of the Wheel of Time series and I want to get up to date on that series before I start a new one.

vCash
    Blog Entries

You guys are probably getting sick of this thread, but I just can't stop!

Peter Dinklage talks about his character Tyrion Lannister:

Sean Bean talks about his character Eddard Stark:

Emilia Clarke talks about her character Daenerys Targaryen:

vCash
    Blog Entries

New teaser!

vCash
    Blog Entries

56 days.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Well, on a day in which the publishing date is announced for the fifth book of this series (July 12th), HBO has also released what they call their first official trailer for Game of Thrones.

This is going to be EPIC.

vCash

I'm almost finished "The Gathering Storm" in the Wheel of Time. With Sanderson writing, I'm finding it a much faster read than Jordan. At this rate, I should be on to "Game of Thrones" by next week, meaning I should be finished the first book by the time the series starts.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    I'm almost finished "The Gathering Storm" in the Wheel of Time. With Sanderson writing, I'm finding it a much faster read than Jordan. At this rate, I should be on to "Game of Thrones" by next week, meaning I should be finished the first book by the time the series starts.
    You will love it. Trust me on that.

vCash
    Blog Entries

vCash
    Blog Entries

vCash
    Blog Entries

Here is a feature on House Stark:

I imagine there will be more of these on a couple of the other houses this show revolves around.

34 days.

vCash
    Blog Entries

House Baratheon:

House Lannister:

House Targaryen:

vCash
    Blog Entries

24 days.