Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Esks Call Media Availability with Jason Maas Tomorrow...

vCash

Re: Esks Call Media Availability with Jason Maas Tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
    So here is the rub now

If RR is such an average to poor cold fish leader

and JM is such a fiery solid leader

why did having JM on your roster and available to help fire up everyone - not help? and why are you convinced that would magically change by making him the coach?

I reakon the plan is for new leaders to emerge from the young guys.. not have the same vocal leaders wehave had here the past few years.. lets be honest. Our record indicates losers,regardless of their leadership qualites..time for a new injection of confidence. I can see what their doing. I hope it pays off

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Agree with Dies on this completely.

You don't dump Ray, but you do have to put in place the tools for him to be successful. For some QBs, that will be a strong offensive line, others will need that go-to possession receiver or a running back with great blitz pickup. For Ray, I believe he needs vocal leaders around him so that he's not having to go so far out of his comfort zone trying to fill that role.

While there's been talk from the regime about physical tools fitting the system and scheme, I think there has been far too little evidence shown of the emotional and leadership fit for the system. Many people look at whether Maas was going to be able to succeed on the field if forced into action, whether KP was going to be able to regain his form off the injury or whether D-Ro could continue to play at the level he has in the past. Maas meant more to this team with the role he played in supporting Ray, instilling belief in his teammates and providing leadership than what through what happens on the field on gameday. KP has proven emotional leadership and demonstrated through his actions the respect for teammates and traditions - the latter all too rare for a guy that came here well into his pro career. D-Ro was a guy that instilled an attitude and made others accountable to look in the mirror and see how much they were personally willing to leave out on the field.

Positioning Ray as the alpha leader in the locker room is mis-casting him as much as asking him to be a running QB on a regular basis. I have to hope that the organization hasn't been as blind as it appears in this regard, and that it's yet again another case of not properly managing and promoting the optics of these moves. Maybe some of these newcomes have been captains on their previous teams and have credible leadership traits to fill some of these big, big shoes. It's awfully rare though to see newcomers come in and be able to credibly step up to the plate taking on leadership roles early on.
    good post thanks - its good to actually discuss this stuff!

leadership is important - the staff believes they have the leadership they need - but your point is well made

it just cannot be well proved until we see if leaders are emerging - and you do know that it takes longer for the FANS to recognize the leaders than the players or the staff - players and staff will start recognizing the leaders on about day 3

fans usually take about 6 games -

vCash

Another thing about RR, I think he benefits from having someone to push him. RR excelled when he had to win the job. When DM made it clear that RR was the #1 and only, it seemed like Ricky took his foot off the gas. If we have two raw rookies behind RR and he knows his job is safe, that he'll start next week no matter how badly he stunk last week, what is going to push him to be better?

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by nafnikufesin View Post
    Another thing about RR, I think he benefits from having someone to push him. RR excelled when he had to win the job. When DM made it clear that RR was the #1 and only, it seemed like Ricky took his foot off the gas. If we have two raw rookies behind RR and he knows his job is safe, that he'll start next week no matter how badly he stunk last week, what is going to push him to be better?
    Agreed, great post

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Rotor View Post
    So here is the rub now

If RR is such an average to poor cold fish leader

and JM is such a fiery solid leader

why did having JM on your roster and available to help fire up everyone - not help? and why are you convinced that would magically change by making him the coach?
    Who's to say that it didn't help? How much worse might our record have been if Maas weren't in the room the past few years? How much longer might the turnover have taken if not for him helping to bring guys together around mid-season?

This is a team that dug themselves a tremendous hole last year, then turned it around to make a very decent run through the second half of the year, and while much of the turnaround is correctly (likely) attributed to the difference that Prinsen and Nelson made, there are numerous factors that entered into it, including the continued belief and positive messages from Richie Hall, the contributions of the leaders in the locker room and some of the player movements made by the management team.

Much as Ricky Ray needs (I believe) to be surrounded by stronger leaders, those stronger leaders will need to be empowered by the coaching staff, and have teammates that both respond and have the ability to execute. Professionally, I can motivate my staff to the point where they'll put in 70 hour weeks and take pay cuts, but if they can't do their jobs or I don't give them the other tools they need, there will still be failure. Leadership is only one component and I don't believe it was solely responsible for the negatives to come out of the past few years. I also believe that there were negative leadership influences perhaps, and they might've been equally (or more) empowered by the staff in the past.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorth View Post
    Who's to say that it didn't help? How much worse might our record have been if Maas weren't in the room the past few years? How much longer might the turnover have taken if not for him helping to bring guys together around mid-season?

This is a team that dug themselves a tremendous hole last year, then turned it around to make a very decent run through the second half of the year, and while much of the turnaround is correctly (likely) attributed to the difference that Prinsen and Nelson made, there are numerous factors that entered into it, including the continued belief and positive messages from Richie Hall, the contributions of the leaders in the locker room and some of the player movements made by the management team.

Much as Ricky Ray needs (I believe) to be surrounded by stronger leaders, those stronger leaders will need to be empowered by the coaching staff, and have teammates that both respond and have the ability to execute. Professionally, I can motivate my staff to the point where they'll put in 70 hour weeks and take pay cuts, but if they can't do their jobs or I don't give them the other tools they need, there will still be failure. Leadership is only one component and I don't believe it was solely responsible for the negatives to come out of the past few years. I also believe that there were negative leadership influences perhaps, and they might've been equally (or more) empowered by the staff in the past.
    Great post

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by boydo View Post
    A personality? Not saying Ricky doesn't have one, but they call him Gumby not just because he gets folded and bent all over the place every game and keeps coming back for more...he's got about that much personality/leadership ability to match. I'm not saying Maas should have been kept around just because he was willing to yell and throw a cooler now and then...but he should have at least been given a shot....a fair shot...not the BS benchwarming DM and Hall had him doing when he came back from Montreal. He should have been getting 2nd string snaps...not Z.
    CAN I GET AN AMEN AND A HOLY **** BATMAN............. YOU'RE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    undefined

The Moz'

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    I reakon the plan is for new leaders to emerge from the young guys.. not have the same vocal leaders wehave had here the past few years.. lets be honest. Our record indicates losers,regardless of their leadership qualites..time for a new injection of confidence. I can see what their doing. I hope it pays off
    Risky gamble...I can see it too I just don't like it.
    Bowman isn't exactly coming from a winning past either and what about the noobs and practice roster guys?
    A lot of question marks.
    I think it is more about getting someone's "guys" in place to prove a point.
    14 and counting!

vCash

personally i don`t want ricky ray to be a rah rah leader.. i just want him to play qb... i don`t think its a role he relishes tbh

a natural alpha dog will emerge from TC.....

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmbuk View Post
    Guys, your not gonna offer a guy a coaching job because he played here.. hes an advocate of the eskimo way i agree, but that shouldnt mean reed shouldnt have the right to choose his own staff.. because he is well loved as a player.

If hall was still here, maas would be a coach. Yet its reeds team, who are we to judge his staff or players without even playing a down

Jason maas will always be an eskimo, but im as excited as hell to see what this new look staff and team can do
    You're right but now as far as I'm concerned because of some of the moves made (including this one) KR gets a lot less leeway from me. IT'S WINS AND LOSSES NOW. They've made their own bed so to speak by releasing guys like, DR, KP, Pettway, and Walls. Making this many changes and running with this many young players with zero CFL experience makes no sense to me but the proof will be in the pudding. As far as JM is concerned here's hoping that he gets heavily involved with either the Golden Bears, Wild Cats, or Huskies. Who knows perhaps one day it could lead back to the Eskimos the way it did with TP.
    Last edited by adb; 05-29-2011 at 11:33 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    As far as JM is concerned here's hoping that he gets heavily involved with either the Golden Bears, Wild Cats, or Huskies. Who knows perhaps one day it could lead back to the Eskimos the way it did with TP.
    There is already a guy doing that who I would like to see get a chance somewhere.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBrr View Post
    There is already a guy doing that who I would like to see get a chance somewhere.
    Don't know who you mean specifically GeeBrr as I cannot think of anyone currently involved with QB experience at least not at the CFL level. You would think that JM would be able to make a positive contribution there at least in the area of helping to develop QBs. I would hope that he would be approached and be willing to take on that sort of role if even on a part time or consultant type basis. Don't think he would be able to take on much more than that what with his current fulltime job in the oilpatch. I don't know if this would be doable just throwing an idea out there to see if it sticks to the wall so to speak.
    Last edited by adb; 05-29-2011 at 11:21 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Don't know who you mean specifically GeeBrr as I cannot think of anyone currently involved with QB experience at least not at the CFL level. You would think that JM would be able to make a positive contribution there at least in the area of helping to develope QBs. I would hope that he would be approached and bewilling to take on that sort of role. Don't think he would be able to take on much more than that what with his current fulltime job in the oilpatch. I don't know if this would be doable just throwing an idea out there to see if it sticks to the wall so to speak.
    Not QBs, but Jed Roberts seems like a good candidate to be involved on a coaching staff if he wants to.

Intelligent guy, warrior, I think guys would love to go to battle for Jed.