Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ricky Ray Appreciation Thread

vCash
    Blog Entries

Serious Ricky Ray Appreciation Thread

I can't believe I am starting this thread...please no venting here.

I will post some thoughts later on, but figured I will reserve this space in the meantime.

Ricky, you should have retired in green & gold. I am very sad today.
    "No one entertains the thought that maybe God does not believe in you." - Bo Burnham

vCash

Re: Ricky Ray Appreciation Thread

One of my teachers told me about the trade walking past me in the hallway at NAIT,I'm just stunned. I agree 178% Ang, he should have retired in Green and Gold. Nothing but respect for Ricky one of the best QBs in Eskimo history and got big wins when needed. Ricky was one of the first Esks I interviewed in the locker room when I was 16, solid dude always made the time for interview. Hopefully he turns around the Argos into an eastern powerhouse. This has me bummed out, and stunned as to why Tillman would make this move.
    Last edited by Blogger Avry; 12-12-2011 at 11:29 AM.
    Check out my stuff on Avrysports.com

vCash

This one is going to take awhile.... I shall return later.
    #PizStrong

vCash
    Blog Entries

Not much I can say here...this move just makes me care less about the Eskimos and I never thought I'd hear myself say that...the worst thing that can happen to a team's fan base is apathy...that's where I'm at right now anyways...RR should have retired an Eskimo...that's all I've got...others can debate the merits of this move all they want but it just doesn't matter to me...Ricky thanks for bleeding green and gold for so many years...
    Last edited by adb; 12-12-2011 at 11:47 AM.
    ôRUN THE DANG BALL!" -Leigh Anne Tuohy character from the film The Blind Side

"Next time, take a case of Pil into the huddle. If you don't get a beer, get the hell off the field!" -New special teams coach for the Riders

"When the Eskimos are out on defense it looks like there are two or three number 47s out there." -Duane Ford

"...I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I enjoy the banter though ..." -Looner

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by adb View Post
    Not much I can say here...this move just makes me care less about the Eskimos and I never thought I'd hear myself say that...the worst thing that can happen to a team's fan base is apathy...that's where I'm at right now anyways...RR should have retired an Eskimo
    X2.
    "This year, we did what we were supposed to do. We fought as a team. We fought as a team. And the fact is, we gotta go back and go to work, to make sure we finish this next time. That's all we gotta do. This right here makes us stronger. Let's understand who we are as a team. Let's understand this right here makes us stronger." - Ray Lewis, January, 2012.

Superbowl Champs 2013.

vCash

Should have never happened.

Ray was by far my favorite QB. I was too young to really appreciate what the likes of Ham, Dunnigan did for the Esks. But I was/am old enough to appreciate what Ray did for us and it was a pleasure to watch him work while in the GnG.

You'll be missed by the Eskimo Nation..

vCash

Ray deserved better and so did we . As a season ticket holder since 75 this one hurts the most . We should have had Fleming as a GM
    Once an Eskimo Always A Eskimo Thanks Ricky
    Never An Eskimo Eric Tillman
    Last edited by Esks55; 12-12-2011 at 01:09 PM.

vCash

When Ricky joined the team in 2002 as a 3rd stringer, and eventually led the EE to a GC berth, we were all in shock and excitement. Couple that with 2 more rings in 2 years, and a Edmonton Eskimo legend was born. Ricky did not receive much help along the way in the next few years, however he still managed to re-write the Eskimo record books, and prove to be quite entertaining on the football field.

I met Ricky personally at a mutual friend's poker game back in 2004, and to say the least, the man is a true class act. His poise, demeanour, and calmness proved to be his best features on and off the gridiron.

The name RAY will still be worn proudly by hundreds I am sure, including myself.

Thank you Ricky, for everything you have brought to this city, this team, and especially us fans. Your name will most deservedly be up on the wall of honour at Commonwealth, among the all-time Eskimo greats.

Once an Eskimo, always an Eskimo.

#PizStrong

vCash

Eight years from now, Ricky Ray will be remembered as one of the greatest Argo quarterbacks in history.
    Out of my mind; back in five minutes.

Inquiring Mind is offline We're looking for dick to floor. Let's call that D2F

2009 & 2014 V-Bookie Champ

vCash

Don't know what to say, I'm still shocked. In the last few days reading threads about stories about him being on the trading block I couldn't help but roll my eyes and think to myself "Yeah, right. As if they'd trade Ricky Ray"... even this morning scrolling to the thread I thought that. Evidently my gut isn't what it once was (yet curiously, it keeps growing, but that's another thing entirely).

Say what you will about him, but he was a consummate pro and the face of the franchise. I've questioned his performance the last couple years, but even in those moments didn't doubt his status as #1 (just would have liked to see #2 a little more in those moments).

Rays legacy remains intact. By time he retires his stats will put him up with the greatest of all time, and no one will question his belonging with them. That's a statement in and of itself. Hopefully one day a decade from now he'll return to Commonwealth and have his name added to the wall of honor and he can be back where he belongs. Once and Eskimo, always an Eskimo.
    Look. We can go round and round about this all the live long day. Let's keep it simple. I embody amazement. Can you dig on that? Good. Then meet me on the corner of rock and roll, and bring a flask of something that burns.

Opus is offline Then start asking the right ******* questions.

Super Moderator

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by Inquiring Mind View Post
    Don't know what to say, I'm still shocked. In the last few days reading threads about stories about him being on the trading block I couldn't help but roll my eyes and think to myself "Yeah, right. As if they'd trade Ricky Ray"... even this morning scrolling to the thread I thought that. Evidently my gut isn't what it once was (yet curiously, it keeps growing, but that's another thing entirely).

Say what you will about him, but he was a consummate pro and the face of the franchise. I've questioned his performance the last couple years, but even in those moments didn't doubt his status as #1 (just would have liked to see #2 a little more in those moments).

Rays legacy remains intact. By time he retires his stats will put him up with the greatest of all time, and no one will question his belonging with them. That's a statement in and of itself. Hopefully one day a decade from now he'll return to Commonwealth and have his name added to the wall of honor and he can be back where he belongs. Once and Eskimo, always an Eskimo.
    Well said.

I remember the days when we traded Matty, and Tracy.....but with those deals we still had a bona fide #1 step right in of equal caliber, and it paved the way for even more success.

I find it insulting to Ricky the return we settled with. Simply disgusting.
    Before you insult a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, when you insult him, you'll be a mile away, and have his shoes.

vCash

Ricky - you deserved to retire an Eskimo. Thanks for so many great years; I will continue wear my #15 Ray jersey with honor. Best of luck in TO.
    Last edited by Hugoagogo; 12-12-2011 at 01:59 PM.
    "No dress rehearsal, this is our life" - Gord Downie

vCash

I will never forget the shock of Ray coming off the bench against a game in B.C. and playing lights out football.

And then, the story of him being a chip-truck driver just added to the legend. You were instantly able to relate as an "every day" kind of guy RATHER THAN an elite QB from a Div 1A School with a silver spoon in his mouth his entire career.

I'm just absolutely crushed by this news...on par (for me) when the Gretzky trade was announced.

vCash

Thanks for the great years of football you provided to us.

Always professional and a team first guy. With 40,529 yards of regular season passing, 66.8% completion rate and career passer rating of 96.1 and two Grey Cup victories Ricky Ray has proven himself to be an elite CFL quarterback.

This is one of the saddest days in Edmonton Eskimo football history.

vCash

Thanks for your example of how to be a professional football player. I care less for the Eskimos today than I did yesterday.
    WALTER IS MY HERO!!

vCash

Thank you Ricky for your years of service as an Edmonton Eskimo.

I hope you turn around that Toronto team and bring them back to respectability.
    Quote from Inquiring Mind:

Of course stamphater is sacred... we all worship the ground he walks on.

#PizStrong

vCash

Thank you Ricky for your years of dedication to the Edmonton Eskimo organization. You deserved a 'better' fate than what you got today, but bieng the consumate professional you are, you will move on and make the Toronto Argonauts a better football team...

Good Luck!!

To me it was never about what I accomplished on the football field, it was about the way I played the game.
    -Jerry Rice

Thank you for Everything Ricky!!! You deserve the best!! Good luck in Toronto!! you will be missed by many Eskimos Fans... never thought I would have to say this...
    Once and Eskimo- ALWAYS AN ESKIMO!!

vCash

Ricky,

I have not even lived in EDM in your career there, but in 2002, I was there at a preseason game and saw your first few and said this kid can play.
    You were not the fastest, not the best arm, and not the best delivery (as you know by your NYJ tryout year :-)) BUT you never made stupid decisions. Always played more with your brain and made the right play. Everyone thought I was nuts, but I said you were going to be our guy, and you did it. 2 GC championships, I was at both, the memory of you hitting Tucker in the endzone in Vancouver will be stuck in my brain for eternity. Good luck!

vCash

Ricky Ray always gave the Eskimos a chance to win, it's a sad day to see him leave.

vCash
    Blog Entries

Very sad day in Eskimo history.

Thanks Rick. The definition of a true professional - a team guy that never complained, always praised others (o-line, rec corps, defence), never had "I" in the vocabulary and always spoke about "we" - the team.

I was hoping that you would get the chance to retire an Eskimo - because you will always be an Eskimo in my mind.

Good luck in TO.

vCash

Thank you Ricky. You were the consummate Eskimo in your time here and you will be missed dearly.

All the best in Toronto and whereever else your career takes you.
    We're cheering Fight Fight Fight On Eskimos...

vCash

2003, 2005.. etched in the memory forever..
    pretty sure, u will get a deserved place on the wall, a well deserved one..

best of luck in toronto..

vCash

Thanks for everything you've done for this organization and this community Mr. Ray.
    You should have retired in Green and Gold.

I wish you nothing but the best in Toronto; you deserve every bit of success you've had and will ever have.

You will be missed. And you will be remembered. Truly one of the greats.

Once an Eskimo, always an Eskimo.
    These pretzels are making me thirsty.

vCash

One of the happiest days as an Eskimo fan was when you came back from the NFL. Now its one of my saddest. Consummate professional, unrattled and never egotistical. While Tillman has my trust as a builder, I really question this one. We should have gotten half the Argos for you. Not 3 players. Thanks for the 2 Grey Cups. 2005 was the most amazing Grey Cup I've ever seen. Unlike Moon and Ham, you won championships on a team that wasnt stacked to the rafters with talent. I wish you well in Toronto. They dont deserve you but at least we dont have to compete against you in the west. You're a class act and I'll miss you dearly.
    Kaptain

We got no food! We got no jobs! Our pets heads are fallin off!!
    Lloyd...Dumb and Dumber

vCash

One of the saddest days in my time of being an Eskimos fan.

And this is coming from a big time Tillman supporter.

It's ridiculous. You deserved much better. Deserved to retire with a green and gold logo on your chest.

Steve Vale is offline Wear some golf shoes, otherwise we'll never get out of this place alive.
    Somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert
    vCash

Best of luck Ricky.
    There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

vCash

Thanks for the two Grey Cups and for never pointing the finger at your teammates when you were lying on your back with little stars circling your head. You were the face of the franchise and will no doubt be in the CFL HoF. Unfortunately for us, you won't be there in green and gold. Thanks Ricky and all the best of luck in TO.
    GO ESKS GO!

vCash

Thank you Ricky. It has been great watching you all these years and it will be hard for me to see you in other than than proud Green and Gold. I look forward to the day when we can place your name amongst the greats on The Wall. Good luck in TO, I do wish you all the best.

Favorite Ray memory: Ray to Tucker for a TD in the 2nd qrtr. 91st Grey Cup. My brother and I had end zone seats and I can still see the play in my head to this day. Thank you.

vCash

Well spoken GungaDin. Ray never showed up his team mates and always, always is a class act.